PC in a car living. Will it break? How to do it safely? Will GPU wooble and break?

LinasJ

I sold my house to pay my wifes debt and right after i did that she left me. Even better, her family bought that house and offered to rent it to me.
So I'm forced to live in a car trough the winter. My job is fully on pc, so how can I build Car pc? 

I'm afraid that GPU will break while driving. Can I build it not standing but laying? Will GPU mounting bracket hold my pc for at last 6-12 months till I have possibility of recovering? 

Is portable monitors a thing?

It's really important for me I can't lose my job and I can't leave my car

Gpu bracket: https://www.amazon.co.uk/upHere-Graphics-Support-Tendon-Adjustable/dp/B082SR7TX8/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2X89IQA1CLHE8&dchild=1&keywords=gpu+mounting+bracket&qid=1604831374&sprefix=gpu+moun%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-19
Portable monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Monitor-Speaker-Raspberry-JOHNWILL/dp/B089VRTG74/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=portable+4k+monitor&qid=1604831554&sr=8-5

Thanks

9 minutes ago, LinasJ said:

I sold my house to pay my wifes debt and right after i did that she left me. Even better, her family bought that house and offered to rent it to me.
So I'm forced to live in a car trough the winter. My job is fully on pc, so how can I build Car pc? 

I'm afraid that GPU will break while driving. Can I build it not standing but laying? Will GPU mounting bracket hold my pc for at last 6-12 months till I have possibility of recovering? 

Is portable monitors a thing?

It's really important for me I can't lose my job and I can't leave my car

Gpu bracket: https://www.amazon.co.uk/upHere-Graphics-Support-Tendon-Adjustable/dp/B082SR7TX8/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2X89IQA1CLHE8&dchild=1&keywords=gpu+mounting+bracket&qid=1604831374&sprefix=gpu+moun%2Caps%2C219&sr=8-19
Portable monitor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Monitor-Speaker-Raspberry-JOHNWILL/dp/B089VRTG74/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=portable+4k+monitor&qid=1604831554&sr=8-5

Thanks

Hey, first of all, really fucking feel bad for you, I hope everything gets straightened out in your life.

I recommend not buying parts or building one. Zotac sells mini gaming PC's, for a really good bang for your buck.

https://store.zotac.com/mini-pcs?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=35ef26e729b5c597b2af823ecb808a720c9bc6e6-1604832134-0-AcULXGwYEXthAA3-dknhOPEhjtNYapdMPpkaD6aBE-g5nxua0Ndj79qEPdVhxDhBKfZ_tHHAz9CcvfpOxPgN57PgwvHUJOwOdj4gjJOXn259Al8Fbu9FteJpL8XrugvLp0nEOdtOhD8EaaiyczAUwTy1FxURNDgbMwErTxDUNwn1UHWu-ty-aRr7v-_rvLMm9dwRN37clbiuvzPMQc2oxbtC7XlOLwjZrZxilUvXF3SdGuHDAAhAPh7fXytwQVW9Phl2fUya6ox2aMvbVeeJ1-7fJKzwMjSGNGlkIMjGc6aG

Either that or a gaming laptop. Portable monitors are easy to find on amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07YWXBS4H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_IX8PFb00BDEDW

The geek himself.

I think it's fine. For storage make sure to use SSDs and the rest of the components should be ok. A big GPU might flap around just a little, but having the PC in a laying orientation as you mentioned, and making sure to firmly mount it will probably be sufficient to deal with that. 

Honestly though, I'd just get a small form-factor computer (one of those really tiny ones) or a laptop for this purpose. A big gaming rig just takes up loads of space in the car. If I were in your position I wouldn't worry too much about the specs of my computer anyway.

49 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

mini gaming PC's

46 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

small form-factor computer

Yeah, I know. I have a simple laptop that I'm working with.

But it's not enough. I have 3000 pictures to work on, and more to come. 
Photoshop crashes after I upload more than 50 of them on 8gb ram. 
I'm building www.crystals.eu site, as i was physics student with obsession of minerals. And I'm photographer, so I used on working with 4k+ monitor.  

And basically all life now is in pc, so new 5600x with 6800xt is a dream to come. It's just I'm afraid to physically break parts or monitor in this environment. If all works out, will probably build a Van with the same pc setup. So all advices are good

Thinking po pick smallest pc BE QUIET! SILENT BASE 601 as it looks sturdy (probably) and small enough to craft some more supports for GPU 

8 hours ago, LinasJ said:

Yeah, I know. I have a simple laptop that I'm working with.

But it's not enough. I have 3000 pictures to work on, and more to come. 
Photoshop crashes after I upload more than 50 of them on 8gb ram. 
I'm building www.crystals.eu site, as i was physics student with obsession of minerals. And I'm photographer, so I used on working with 4k+ monitor.  

And basically all life now is in pc, so new 5600x with 6800xt is a dream to come. It's just I'm afraid to physically break parts or monitor in this environment. If all works out, will probably build a Van with the same pc setup. So all advices are good

Thinking po pick smallest pc BE QUIET! SILENT BASE 601 as it looks sturdy (probably) and small enough to craft some more supports for GPU 

I could recommend you could get a case with a vertical GPU mount as well.

The geek himself.

Take them up on the offer to rent to you, stop paying after a month and squat. It will take them an eternity to move through the eviction process due to the pandemic. You would absolutely get through the winter, probably into summer. Get out before it’s finalized so it doesn’t hit your history and pay off the debt later.

Normally I would never suggest someone do this but they absolutely sound like they deserve it.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Depends on what your sleeping in. A small car you need a small computer or laptop, if your in a van then any atx case pc will do.

Lots of cheap vans out there to buy, I highly recommend you buy a late 80's or early 90's, get it looked over mechanically and rip out the interior (if its not converted). Be sure to find a good parking spot near a gym, buy a membership to that gym so you can shower. Its also best to park next to a 24/7 gas station so you can run in and use their bathroom. I would stay away from congregating homeless people sleeping in their vehicle, like Walmart. Also find a spot near a library or other place you'd like to work.

If you don't have a PC right now, I would sooner suggest a laptop instead of a desktop.

It has a lower power consumption, thus can not only be run, but charged from the car without any issues. It also has smaller size and overall might serve you better than a bulky desktop PC in a cramped environment. 

That said... I don't know if you've omitted some parts of the backstory and I don't think it really matter... But I'd honestly just sue your now ex wife for the amount of money she went off with. You wouldn't have paid off her debts if you knew she was just going to just up and leave after all. And the fact that it's her family that bought the house and are asking you if you want to pay rent is.... WTF?? If they had the money to bail her off, why didn't they? It sounds like one of those marriage scam, where you get married and soon after you find out about all these "debts" that you somehow need to pay back for them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If they had the money to bail her off, why didn't they? It sounds like one of those marriage scam, where you get married and soon after you find out about all these "debts" that you somehow need to pay back for them.

You got a good point there. They usually ditch right after they become full citizens.

Are we not going to talk about using the money you plan on spending on a 5600x and 6800xt to instead find a place to stay?

If you seriously NEED a more powerful rig right now, get something used for cheap that gets the job done from ebay or craigslist or something.

From what you said in the OP, there is more important stuff to do right now than building a PC.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

I've been homeless due to divorce. I'd suggest a better laptop. Go to McDs or Starbucks to use the free wifi, or be able to use your cellphone as a hotspot (this drains your battery extremely fast so get an external battery as well to power the phone, that's what I did). 

Good luck. 

Times are tough now but it sounds like you dodged a bullet in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Lorunification said:

Are we not going to talk about using the money you plan on spending on a 5600x and 6800xt to instead find a place to stay?

If you seriously NEED a more powerful rig right now, get something used for cheap that gets the job done from ebay or craigslist or something.

From what you said in the OP, there is more important stuff to do right now than building a PC.

You're probably right. I just got used in living like this. I do not want to rent a flat. I had a House that I paid for many years. 
I'm not going to rent anything, I'm focused on somehow earning more to get on my feet sooner than depression takes me away.

So my thoughts that I need to get that business running as fast and as good as I can possibly do it. This is the sole focus.
Pc would probably remind me that I'm still a human, as I will probably will take a while to recover, and I would get my work done faster. (yeah, probably gaming thoughts away) 

Some good people rented me a power cable, so it's warm now and money that I save from renting I can reinvest or to get a pc on a loan. 
See? A comfy place I have :)

118146884_366037261057724_7092128695751039224_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ultra_Kaiju said:

I've been homeless due to divorce. I'd suggest a better laptop. Go to McDs or Starbucks to use the free wifi, or be able to use your cellphone as a hotspot (this drains your battery extremely fast so get an external battery as well to power the phone, that's what I did). 

Good luck. 

Times are tough now but it sounds like you dodged a bullet in the long run. 

How it went to you? Did you recover fast? How do you trust people? This is my main fear, that I will never ever going to trust anyone ever
We lived like 5 years of perfect and honestly, happy marriage.
It all happened so damn fast. From warm home with dog, to living in a car with laptop and some clothes 

You need to sit with the pain and become aware that your ego is hurt, the reason you sleep in the car is out of refusal to lose something, when in reality you have already lost, best to step up and pick up the pieces before it's too late.

Find somewhere and get yourself safe.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

happened very fast to me too. Within a couple months I was on the street and my wife and kids were gone. (now the kids are with me, it all worked out for me, .. eventually.) 

Trust is a funny thing. It's now always in the back of my mind that shit can go south very quickly. I trust people but I also know that I'm resilient and it's not the end of the world if shit goes south. It SUCKS,.. but it wont kill me. 

..what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and all that jazz. 

You will be in shock and scared to trust people for quite a while (in my experience). But slowly you heal. Focus on work and getting your shit together. Focus on getting yourself set up so you're completely self reliant and don't need anyone for anything. It might take a while, don't be afraid to ask for help in the meantime, but make it a goal to get your shit in order and able to thrive on your own. 

The best revenge I've found is success. Work hard on being successful in life and work. 

1 minute ago, Ultra_Kaiju said:

..what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and all that jazz.

Kelly Clarkson flashbacks

Spoiler

I had this song on my brothers mp3 player

also random helpful anime quote

dctrdfff.jpg.1ef2f94c909570b2ab02ca65d0ce316a.jpg

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

17 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

Take them up on the offer to rent to you, stop paying after a month and squat. It will take them an eternity to move through the eviction process due to the pandemic. You would absolutely get through the winter, probably into summer. Get out before it’s finalized so it doesn’t hit your history and pay off the debt later.

Normally I would never suggest someone do this but they absolutely sound like they deserve it.

I like you

The laws fucked him, so he can make fucky back.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I'll be honest I was fucked up for quite a while. I spent a lot of time doing the self pity thing and the, "But I did everything right so why did it all go so wrong?" .. thing. 

The fact is women will always (ime) be an unknown variable, you can do all the right things and they just change their mind and decide they don't want to be married anymore, or don't want to be married to you. Our system (sadly) almost encourages them to divorce, it's an easy out. 

Life has pitfalls for sure. And some of them you don't know you stepped in them until the punji sticks have stabbed your foot. 

it took me many years to get back on my feet and get a house, good job, etc. Things are good now but it was a struggle for a long time. The trick for me was focusing on the prize in the distance (success and freedom) and not focusing on the moment. If you get too caught up in the moment for too long it's just depressing. 

Now my Ex sees that I'm successful and is mad at herself for throwing away the relationship, and my kids live with me. So in the end it all worked out for me. But it took years and tons of work, (and the work continues, not sure it will ever stop. I'm a workaholic because I never want to end up in that situation again.)

If I'm honest it probably created some 'fear of homelessness' trauma, which compels me to work very hard to keep that from ever happening again. 

OP seriously, best of luck. PM me if you ever need to vent privately. I would understand. 

On 11/8/2020 at 4:34 AM, LinasJ said:

My job is fully on pc

What is your job?  It sounds like you should get a ThinkPad and wait to build a desktop until you get back on your feet.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 11/8/2020 at 4:34 AM, LinasJ said:

Get a laptop man, Even if you need a GPU for accelerated workloads just get a laptop. Most cars will never be able to provide enough power to run a PC and a generator doesn't make enough clean power cheaply. Depending on the kind of budget you would have in your situation you might either be slightly boned on the mobile side or do fine. Your lucky 2020 has accelerated mobile performance a lot 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Such a small sleeping area, keep the current ride, see how much extra it is to insure a $500 full size 1989 van that runs so you can move it 10 ft every week (to keep the parking patrol off your back).

In a Van I could literally take a poo in a Home Depot bucket inside the van and not have a problem leaving the bucket outside. It was so much more roomier then an SUV, it is like night and day. With the van you have privacy, spray paint the inside of the windows with black spray paint, looks like tinted windows. Of course dont do that for the drivers or front passenger windows.

I was looking support for my GPU to not to break, but I found a support for me 

I will reinvest all I have in to business, and not in to getting comfortable for now

Thank you, I love you all