Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a new PSU

Hello everyone, I need some help choosing a PSU.

 

I plan to upgrade my GPU to an RTX 3060 or RX 6600XT. I currently have an RX 470 and it has been working well, for the most part, with my current PSU.

 

I have a Seasonic S12ii v2 520W 80+ Bronze in my build right now. Just in case I face any issues with the new GPU, I would like to have some PSU options I can get to fix any problems.

 

I know the s12ii is very old model now, and I was told a while ago that it uses 'group regulation' which is bad I guess? I'm not sure what it means. Anyway, I'd like to have a plan B incase the new GPU and old PSU don't play nice with each other.

 

I'm currently looking at the **Seasonic Core GM 650W 80+ Gold**. It ranked Tier B in the PSU tier list hosted on the LTT forums. I'm also looking at the **Silverstone ET700-MG 700W 80+ Gold** which also ranked Tier B.

 

Does that Seasonic unit also use 'group regulation' , or does it use the same technology in all new PSU's?

 

The Seasonic one costs £74, the Silverstone will cost me £85. Which should I get?

SmartSelect_20201107-222044_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20201108-005128_Chrome.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Orange1 Seasonic PSUs are great.

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, random_guy_with_questions said:

doesn't exist its the 3070 they have dropped the 60 series and added a 90

The 6600 XT doesn't officially exist either. But do you really think either company won't release a card below £400? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I wish someone would review the Core so we could find out if it's a great little unit or not.

 

I found a review on the Silverstone unit on eteknix, and it performed well. But apparently it doesnt use 100% Japanese capacitors, only uses high quality Japanese one for the main cap. 

 

I couldn't find any reviews or teardown of the Seasonic but I did read a thread on the jonnyguru site, some people were saying that it uses cheaper materials like single layer PCB. I'm not sure how many layers the Silverstone has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MustafaXIX said:

I found a review on the Silverstone unit on eteknix, and it performed well. But apparently it doesnt use 100% Japanese capacitors, only uses high quality Japanese one for the main cap. 

You're making the assumption that only Japanese capacitors can be high quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MustafaXIX said:

I found a review on the Silverstone unit on eteknix, and it performed well. But apparently it doesnt use 100% Japanese capacitors, only uses high quality Japanese one for the main cap. 

 

I couldn't find any reviews or teardown of the Seasonic but I did read a thread on the jonnyguru site, some people were saying that it uses cheaper materials like single layer PCB. I'm not sure how many layers the Silverstone has.

For £79.98, you can get this one, which is a much better option than both the Seasonic and the Silverstone units :
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na
 

 

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're making the assumption that only Japanese capacitors can be high quality.

To be fair, the only reason why a variety of people (including me) accepts the idea that Chinese capacitors can be just as good as the Japanese ones is... you.
Other than you, every reviewer out there considers that it is safer to go with Japcaps over Chinese ones, and it doesn't help that marketing from all brands promotes Japanese caps as a selling point.
Even Oklahoma Wolf used to take points away in his reviews when Teapo caps would be used... 😝

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, electropical said:

For £79.98, you can get this one, which is a much better option than both the Seasonic and the Silverstone units :
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PVzZxr/corsair-txm-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na
 

 

To be fair, the only reason why a variety of people (including me) accepts the idea that Chinese capacitors can be just as good as the Japanese ones is... you.
Other than you, every reviewer out there considers that it is safer to go with Japcaps over Chinese ones, and it doesn't help that marketing from all brands promotes Japanese caps as a selling point.
Even Oklahoma Wolf used to take points away in his reviews when Teapo caps would be used... 😝

I know.  It's sad.  

 

But out of all of the reviewers, none have them have ever worked in the industry or visited a factory.

 

You'll find that most of the guys that used to review and then went into the industry kind of disappear.  Chris Katzer, Philip Pfab, etc.   That's typically because they realize that 90% of what they reported in reviews was wrong.  After I left jonnyguru.com and got to see how the sausage was made, I cringed at almost every review Oklahoma Wolf wrote thereafter.

 

I admit that I was wrong probably 90% of the time too.  Especially in the really old reviews.  

 

I trust Aris a lot, but sometimes he makes some pretty generic claims based on assumptions, but he's not as bad as the rest.  :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I trust Aris a lot, but sometimes he makes some pretty generic claims based on assumptions, but he's not as bad as the rest.

Yeah, Aris' heavy-lifting work is a godsend, even with the mistakes.
And so is your contribution : we DEFINITELY are grateful to still have you around, sharing expert knowledge with us for free, even now that Mr. Conflict of Interest is preventing you from reviewing PSUs... (Don't you bail on us!!! 😆)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2020 at 12:27 PM, ragnarok0273 said:

Seasonic PSUs are great.

Seasonic PSUs are also shit! Don't go by brand.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Elisis said:

Seasonic PSUs are also shit! Don't go by brand.

If you spend a decent amount of money they are nice.

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

If you spend a decent amount of money they are nice.

So your argument is that if you spend a lot of money on a unit, it must be nice? That logic is flawed for obvious reasons.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elisis said:

So your argument is that if you spend a lot of money on a unit, it must be nice? That logic is flawed for obvious reasons.

If you spend enough on a power supply from a reputable manufacturer, the chances of failure are 3-5%.

Spending that same amount on a Diablotek power supply = failure rate of 80% and fire.

Cool tech tip inside:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

elephants

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's typically because they realize that 90% of what they reported in reviews was wrong.

So could you perhaps share a bit of your personal experience in this specific topic and tell what capacitor brands assuming series with similar specs perform better or worse than average ? I remember you saying that Elite are even better than Teapo rn, how about other Chinese stuff ? What about usual Japanese go-to brands ? Have they changed ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Juular said:

So could you perhaps share a bit of your personal experience in this specific topic and tell what capacitor brands assuming series with similar specs perform better or worse than average ? I remember you saying that Elite are even better than Teapo rn, how about other Chinese stuff ? What about usual Japanese go-to brands ? Have they changed ?

No.  The usual Japanese stuff has not changed.  They're still made in China with the rest of them.  :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

I know.  It's sad.  

 

But out of all of the reviewers, none have them have ever worked in the industry or visited a factory.

 

You'll find that most of the guys that used to review and then went into the industry kind of disappear.  Chris Katzer, Philip Pfab, etc.   That's typically because they realize that 90% of what they reported in reviews was wrong.  After I left jonnyguru.com and got to see how the sausage was made, I cringed at almost every review Oklahoma Wolf wrote thereafter.

 

I admit that I was wrong probably 90% of the time too.  Especially in the really old reviews.  

 

I trust Aris a lot, but sometimes he makes some pretty generic claims based on assumptions, but he's not as bad as the rest.  :D

 

 

Things tend to change when you see them everyday and in large numbers. 🙂

 

Much different than looking at one or two examples and in a pretty narrow scope.

 

I think the best reviewers do the best they can and that's all they can really do. They have the equipment and do the testing, but one or two units here or there.

 

Nothing is really perfect in the end.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

 

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

 

 

Things tend to change when you see them everyday and in large numbers. 🙂

 

Much different than looking at one or two examples and in a pretty narrow scope.

 

I think the best reviewers do the best they can and that's all they can really do. They have the equipment and do the testing, but one or two units here or there.

 

Nothing is really perfect in the end.

Yeah.  I mean... I can't respond to Juular's request because I could literally write a novel.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No.  The usual Japanese stuff has not changed.  They're still made in China with the rest of them.  :D

So would you say that going by series rather than brand would be a superior way of going about it, then?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Elisis said:

So would you say that going by series rather than brand would be a superior way of going about it, then?

Not always.

 

So.. So we don't hijack the thread and get into the weeds... let me give you an example of a recent conversation.....

 

Reviewer:  Why did you guys use second tier capacitors in this PSU?

Me:  What?  We didn't.  What are you talking about?

Reviewer:  On the secondary side, you used the series that has a 3000 hour @ 105°C life instead of the 5000 hour caps.

Me:  Did you see how much bigger the 5000 hour caps are in the spec sheet?  Larger cap = more aluminum = better heat dissipation = longer life at higher temps.  There isn't enough room in the PSU to use the 5000 hour caps.  They're 50% larger size!

Reviewer:  Oh....

Link to post
Share on other sites

@jonnyGURUwhat do you think about the Cougar GEX compared to the ones I mentioned in the original post? I can get a 750W GEX for £5 less than the Silverstone and Corsair models in the OP

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MustafaXIX said:

@jonnyGURUwhat do you think about the Cougar GEX compared to the ones I mentioned in the original post? I can get a 750W GEX for £5 less than the Silverstone and Corsair models in the OP

There was no Corsair model in the OP.  Unless you mean the TX-M mentioned later in the thread.

 

The GEX is way better than either the Seasonic or SilverStone.   Versus the TX-M might be a crap shoot as I'm not too familiar with XHY as a manufacturer, but it is the same platform as the Cooler Master MWE Gold; if that helps.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

There was no Corsair model in the OP.  Unless you mean the TX-M mentioned later in the thread.

 

The GEX is way better than either the Seasonic or SilverStone.   Versus the TX-M might be a crap shoot as I'm not too familiar with XHY as a manufacturer, but it is the same platform as the Cooler Master MWE Gold; if that helps.

 

That does help, thank you very much. I guess its between the TX M and the GEX

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×