AMD Ryzen 5800X - Advice

UPDATE: I went back to the store today and spoke with one of the managers.

The cashier is new. They are supposed to tell the customer that if they want the free gift (Far Cry 6 game code in this case) then the item becomes final sale. I wasn't told this when I bought it, so although I did get the game code (but didn't use it) they did give me the refund. 

Apparently cutting the seal and asking the customer to inspect the CPU is now standard protocol. If you don't want them to do that then you have to state so. 

Thanks all, Van Dan

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone,

I got up super early on Thursday and lined up outside Memory Express in Vancouver with the hope of getting a 5900X. Unfortunately the person a few places behind me in the queue nabbed the last one. That's right. A few places behind me. My cashier was really slow and kept making mistakes while processing/entering my request into the system, so by the time he actually went to shelves behind the counter, it was gone. Yay.

I put my name down for the 5800X & 5900X for when they come in stock. The idea was to check the soon-to-come-out reviews for which one best suits my needs (productivity + gaming), then grab it when it comes in stock.

I left the store, got a few blocks down the road and then got a call saying the cashier had made a mistake and the 5800X was available, so I went back and was told to go and see that same cashier again. My intentions were still the same, hold on to it, study reviews, then return it/sell it (for a fair price, I hate scalpers) if reviews suggested it wasn't the right SKU for my needs. Before the transaction the cashier told me it was non-returnable, then during the transaction he cut the seal and opened the box to show me that the pins were all good, which they were. 

Lo and behold, it seems that the 5900X is by far the most suitable SKU for my needs. 

I've been trying to sell the 5800X for what I paid for it (despite them going on eBay for $100-$400 more), but the three potential buyers I've spoken with do not want it as the seal is broken, despite the fact I have the receipt which would give it a warranty. 

Edit* I don't have eBay and my friends tell me it will be hard to set up an account to sell this type of product as I will have no seller feedback. 

Also, annoyingly, I made a couple of friends in the line up that day and we exchanged details. None of their CPUs were cut open by the cashier, and they were also not told that their CPU was non returnable.

I've been trying to call Memory Express on Broadway, Van, all day, to ask about their return policy, but their phone number has not been working. I'm hoping to speak to a manager there as I feel a little hard done by. I also want to check that my name is in fact on the list for the 5900X given the series of mistakes the cashier made.

But I'm stuck with a 5800X that I'm not sure what to do with. I live on modest means, $700 is a lot. 

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kind thanks, Van Dan.  

35 minutes ago, Vancouver Dan said:

Hello everyone,

I got up super early on Thursday and lined up outside Memory Express in Vancouver with the hope of getting a 5900X. Unfortunately the person a few places behind me in the queue nabbed the last one. That's right. A few places behind me. My cashier was really slow and kept making mistakes while processing/entering my request into the system, so by the time he actually went to shelves behind the counter, it was gone. Yay.

I put my name down for the 5800X & 5900X for when they come in stock. The idea was to check the soon-to-come-out reviews for which one best suits my needs (productivity + gaming), then grab it when it comes in stock.

I left the store, got a few blocks down the road and then got a call saying the cashier had made a mistake and the 5800X was available, so I went back and was told to go and see that same cashier again. My intentions were still the same, hold on to it, study reviews, then return it/sell it (for a fair price, I hate scalpers) if reviews suggested it wasn't the right SKU for my needs. Before the transaction the cashier told me it was non-returnable, then during the transaction he cut the seal and opened the box to show me that the pins were all good, which they were. 

Lo and behold, it seems that the 5900X is by far the most suitable SKU for my needs. 

I've been trying to sell the 5800X for what I paid for it (despite them going on eBay for $100-$400 more), but the three potential buyers I've spoken with do not want it as the seal is broken, despite the fact I have the receipt which would give it a warranty. 

Edit* I don't have eBay and my friends tell me it will be hard to set up an account to sell this type of product as I will have no seller feedback. 

Also, annoyingly, I made a couple of friends in the line up that day and we exchanged details. None of their CPUs were cut open by the cashier, and they were also not told that their CPU was non returnable.

I've been trying to call Memory Express on Broadway, Van, all day, to ask about their return policy, but their phone number has not been working. I'm hoping to speak to a manager there as I feel a little hard done by. I also want to check that my name is in fact on the list for the 5900X given the series of mistakes the cashier made.

But I'm stuck with a 5800X that I'm not sure what to do with. I live on modest means, $700 is a lot. 

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Kind thanks, Van Dan.  

It does not say it is not returnable on the Website, you always have 15 days. What does the receipt say?

And If you live on modest means,what are you doing buying a $700+ CPU?

ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570**AMD Ryzen 5800X**16G Corsair Vengence RGB 3600Mhz **ASUS Strix RX6700XT OC**Corsair H150i RGB Platinum AIO**Samsung 2-2TB 970 EVO Plus m.2**2-860 2 1/2 EVO 1Tb SSD's**Creative Sound Blaster Z**Corsair HX1200i PSU w/Black sleeved corsair Cables**Corsair 5000D Airflow**BenQ XL2730Z 1440p 144Hz 27"**BenQ XL2720Z 27"**Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Keyboard**Roccat Kave 5.1 Gaming headset,Roccat Kone Pure Black Gaming mouse**Windows 10 PRO

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1 hour ago, Vancouver Dan said:

then during the transaction he cut the seal and opened the box to show me that the pins were all good

...Really? Why? That seems extremely bizarre and not like a thing that can possibly be normal protocol if it isn't made up.

Wish you were in Winnipeg, I would buy it from you. Went in for a 5800x (Was maybe 20th person in line) and both 5900/5800 were sold out, only 5600x availiable. Signed up to be notified when the 5800x was back in stock.

1 hour ago, Earnhardt said:

It does not say it is not returnable on the Website, you always have 15 days. What does the receipt say?

And If you live on modest means,what are you doing buying a $700+ CPU?

Thanks Earnhardt. It says "Returns and exchanges are valid within (15) days of original purchase date for most products unless otherwise specified" - I can't see anything that specifies on the product page, I'm not sure if the cashier saying it counts.

I need a good CPU as my girlfriend lost her job earlier this because of COVID and she is a graphic designer so we need a CPU that is good for productivity tasks. I've also been saving for a long time up upgrade my 6 year old computer. And Cyberpunk. But mainly the first reason. 

124241859_372560867523042_3717222090902888786_n.jpg

54 minutes ago, PCDude321 said:

...Really? Why? That seems extremely bizarre and not like a thing that can possibly be normal protocol if it isn't made up.

I have no idea. I saw that cashier do it to another customer as well. From what I can tell she was buying it for someone else as he cut the seal, opened the box, handed her the CPU (but still in the transparent plastic thing, he didn't take it out of that) and said check it. The look on her face suggested she didn't know what the heck she was looking at.

I didn't see any of the other cashiers do this. 

How early did you arrive at the store? and how long was the line? I'm thinking of getting a 6800xt there when it comes out.

38 minutes ago, wivarn said:

How early did you arrive at the store? and how long was the line? I'm thinking of getting a 6800xt there when it comes out.

It opens at 10am, I'd say get there at least at 6am at the latest if you want to be safe. Apparently the first person in line for the RTX 3000 series got there at 6am, they didn't get a 3080 on the day but had it sooner after, according to one of their staff. 

I asked that same staff member what time I should get there to be front of the line for the AMD CPUs and he said "GPUs are in way higher demand in comparison to CPUs, get there 30 mins [9:30] early and you'll be fine for Ryzen". I got there way earlier than that and the line was already pretty long. I went up and asked the lad who was about 5th in line and asked how long he'd been there and he said since 7am. So I guess the front guy was at least 6am as well. 

Because of the staff members bad advice the ME parking lot (which is only 3 or 4 spaces....) was also full when I went for Ryzen so I had a nightmare finding parking. 

I think I am going to try for the 6800XT as well. Come say hello if you see me. I'll be the English guy most likely talking random $h|t!

Stay safe and remember a mask on the day or they won't let you in. 

🙂

5 hours ago, Vancouver Dan said:

I have no idea. I saw that cashier do it to another customer as well. From what I can tell she was buying it for someone else as he cut the seal, opened the box, handed her the CPU (but still in the transparent plastic thing, he didn't take it out of that) and said check it. The look on her face suggested she didn't know what the heck she was looking at.

I didn't see any of the other cashiers do this. 

In the USA, that's illegal. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in Canada as well. Unless they're selling them as "open box", they can't open them before the customer buys it.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

11 hours ago, Vancouver Dan said:

...I'd say get there at least at 6am...

Oh hell no, I'm not willing to get there that early. I'm doing 9:30AM the earliest, I'll just put my name down for the 20th one down the line. I'm building a full PC so I'll probably be back on Black Friday to get deals on the rest of the parts. I don't expect to have a new computer this month anyways.

22 minutes ago, wivarn said:

I'm building a full PC so I'll probably be back on Black Friday to get deals on the rest of the parts.

The best deals are after Christmas in January when the stores are trying to get rid of the overstock.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches