RTX 3070 or RX 6800/RX 6700XT?

TqLxQuanZ

Hi everyone, I've been planning my first new PC build for a while but struggling at GPU side with tight budget. (Currently using i3-7100 and GTX 1050 2GB)

I plan to game at 1440p 144hz once I gotten my new pc but I can't decide the GPU for a bit of "future proofing" for the next 3~5 years.

I've seen a lot people arguing with 8GB VRam that in the future it won't be sufficient for 1440p, but some say it will be. Cyberpunk 2077 is coming before December 10 (Maybe), and I would like to get the PC before that unless there are really some good GPU around $500 like 3070 but higher VRam. I need some advices with the GPU.

Do I wait for RX 6700XT? Because I don't know how long it will be released, or go with RTX 3070/RX 6800, the extra $80 bucks on 6800 is a bit costy because of tight budget but I can still manage to afford.

Specs:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO - MSI B450M MORTAR MAX

RAM - Corsair VG LPX 3600 2x8 16GB

SSD - M.2 NVMe SX8200 PRO 500GB

PSU - RMx Corsair 650w

Oh yea and feel free to give suggestion if my other specs have problem, I would like some advices as well, thanks a lot.

7 minutes ago, TqLxQuanZ said:

Hi everyone, I've been planning my first new PC build for a while but struggling at GPU side with tight budget. (Currently using i3-7100 and GTX 1050 2GB)

I plan to game at 1440p 144hz once I gotten my new pc but I can't decide the GPU for a bit of "future proofing" for the next 3~5 years.

I've seen a lot people arguing with 8GB VRam that in the future it won't be sufficient for 1440p, but some say it will be. Cyberpunk 2077 is coming before December 10 (Maybe), and I would like to get the PC before that unless there are really some good GPU around $500 like 3070 but higher VRam. I need some advices with the GPU.

Do I wait for RX 6700XT? Because I don't know how long it will be released, or go with RTX 3070/RX 6800, the extra $80 bucks on 6800 is a bit costy because of tight budget but I can still manage to afford.

Specs:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600

MOBO - MSI B450M MORTAR MAX

RAM - Corsair VG LPX 3600 2x8 16GB

SSD - M.2 NVMe SX8200 PRO 500GB

PSU - RMx Corsair 650w

Oh yea and feel free to give suggestion if my other specs have problem, I would like some advices as well, thanks a lot.

6800, so that in the future, if you upgrade to zen 3, and a 500 motherboard, you'll see huge performance boosts with the smart access memory feature

32 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

6800, so that in the future, if you upgrade to zen 3, and a 500 motherboard, you'll see huge performance boosts with the smart access memory feature

I don't know if I'd call a 5% performance bump at 4K a "huge performance boost", but it is a nice-to-have. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

I don't know if I'd call a 5% performance bump at 4K a "huge performance boost", but it is a nice-to-have. 

yes but it increases with lower resolutions, and in some games it can reach 10%

8 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

yes but it increases with lower resolutions, and in some games it can reach 10%

Do you have a source for that? Because it seems to me like it really should be the opposite. At higher resolutions, the GPU is carrying more of the system's load, so it sounds to me like better memory management would make a bigger difference. Why else would AMD use 4K as their resolution of choice to brag about their new technology?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

12 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

yes but it increases with lower resolutions

This is very wrong.

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Do you have a source for that? Because it seems to me like it really should be the opposite. At higher resolutions, the GPU is carrying more of the system's load, so it sounds to me like better memory management would make a bigger difference.

The main benefit from SAM come when larger textures needs to be loaded and accessed in the gpu's vram as far as I understand, so yes higher resolutions would have more benefit most of the time.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

58 minutes ago, Ankh tech tips said:

I don't think I'll be touching Zen 3 and 500 motherboards in the next 2 years (Just because I think SAM won't be doing much for me and costing extras, gonna give them time to polish or refine the feature more until I think it worth the cost for the performance)

And another clarification, I won't be going to 4k anytime soon, at least for within 5 years. Not really interested in 4k because of the costs. 

Either way you're going to be waiting. The chances you can get one at launch even if you go AMD is slim to none.

27 minutes ago, NadeMagnet69 said:

Either way you're going to be waiting. The chances you can get one at launch even if you go AMD is slim to none.

In Malaysia, there aren't problem with the stocks because you can only grab the graphic card by having a full build request from them, so there are still stocks available for full build but probably out of stock for the single part purchase. (I asked the retailers as well, they confirmed there are available stocks around for full build.) AMD should have the same as well based on what they did for 3070/3080/3090 stocks in here.

41 minutes ago, TqLxQuanZ said:

In Malaysia, there aren't problem with the stocks because you can only grab the graphic card by having a full build request from them, so there are still stocks available for full build but probably out of stock for the single part purchase. (I asked the retailers as well, they confirmed there are available stocks around for full build.) AMD should have the same as well based on what they did for 3070/3080/3090 stocks in here.

Seems like it's the same with Nvidia. Most stock is going to prebuilds.