System freezes a few seconds after windows loads...

Iamjohn

Started my computer up this morning and it froze a few seconds after windows loaded. At first I believed it was possibly the usb, then restarted, the usb was working fine in bios and it worked for the few seconds before the system freezes. I've restarted a few times now and it's frozen every time just a few seconds after windows finishes loading. 

I know this could be anything from drivers to overheating cpu (though that seems fine in bios sitting for minutes). Are there any recommend steps before I try to do an OS install? 

For reference sake:

4770k, 4.2 all core oc on an aio cooler

Dual gtx 770 classifieds in sli

16gb 1866 ram

Win10 OS installed on a sata ssd

And all running fine the night before. 

have you tried booting in safe mode?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

48 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

have you tried booting in safe mode?

Last time starting up I did, safe w/ networking, didn't even have enough time after the win logo was gone to see if it was in safe mode. I'll try again without networking. 

1 minute ago, Iamjohn said:

Last time starting up I did, safe w/ networking, didn't even have enough time after the win logo was gone to see if it was in safe mode. I'll try again without networking. 

If even safe mode doesn't work, I would begin to suspect a hardware problem. Starting to sound like a motherboard issue.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm having the same issue since this morning and I've found a thread on a different forum with a number of other people with a variety of system specs but the exact same problem, starting this morning. One person claims to have resolved the issue with a clean install of win10 but I'd rather look for a different solution first.

Would it be ok if I just posted here instead of making a new thread since it seems to be a common issue?

32 minutes ago, Incredibilis said:

I'm having the same issue since this morning and I've found a thread on a different forum with a number of other people with a variety of system specs but the exact same problem, starting this morning. One person claims to have resolved the issue with a clean install of win10 but I'd rather look for a different solution first.

Would it be ok if I just posted here instead of making a new thread since it seems to be a common issue?

Fine with me, more eyes and heads looking at the problem. 

55 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

If even safe mode doesn't work, I would begin to suspect a hardware problem. Starting to sound like a motherboard issue.

I was going to check to make sure things were plugged in and running as well, not sure how they might come undone but easy to check. One of my first thoughts was the aio pump on my cpu might have failed but it wasn't heating up sitting in the bios. 

All right so i'll list some of what happened to me to make sure we're having the exact same issue.

A few seconds after the freeze, screen just goes black with no cursor

Motherboard DRAM lights up and does long flashes after the black screen, but memtest86 returned 0 errors after 4 hours, on both modules checked individually and in different slots. Still get freezes using one module at a time

After button resets, windows does not always go to troubleshoot/repair options. Haven't figured whether it's random or not

Safe mode with networking works fine

Crystaldiskinfo gives no warnings about the drive

sfc /scannow did not solve the issue

windows repair did not solve the issue

restoring system to a previous point did not solve the issue

temperatures are normal

2 hours ago, Incredibilis said:

All right so i'll list some of what happened to me to make sure we're having the exact same issue.

A few seconds after the freeze, screen just goes black with no cursor

Motherboard DRAM lights up and does long flashes after the black screen, but memtest86 returned 0 errors after 4 hours, on both modules checked individually and in different slots. Still get freezes using one module at a time

After button resets, windows does not always go to troubleshoot/repair options. Haven't figured whether it's random or not

Safe mode with networking works fine

Crystaldiskinfo gives no warnings about the drive

sfc /scannow did not solve the issue

windows repair did not solve the issue

restoring system to a previous point did not solve the issue

temperatures are normal

Mine is freezing with the screen on just nothing moves, no black screen just full stop whatever is on the screen at the time. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:05 AM, Iamjohn said:

Started my computer up this morning and it froze a few seconds after windows loaded. At first I believed it was possibly the usb, then restarted, the usb was working fine in bios and it worked for the few seconds before the system freezes. I've restarted a few times now and it's frozen every time just a few seconds after windows finishes loading. 

I know this could be anything from drivers to overheating cpu (though that seems fine in bios sitting for minutes). Are there any recommend steps before I try to do an OS install? 

For reference sake:

4770k, 4.2 all core oc on an aio cooler

Dual gtx 770 classifieds in sli

16gb 1866 ram

Win10 OS installed on a sata ssd

And all running fine the night before. 

So... After some testing I ended up doing a windows reinstall, that seemed to fix it. Not sure really what happened outside of a corrupt install.