Motherboard choice for Ryzen 7 5800X

Hello! I'm buying a R7-5800X very soon. I don't know what motherboard I should get.

I'd prefer a mobo that's ready to go (no BIOS updates) - X570, B550 -- that is under or around $200.

Thanks!

While it's possible that some recently manufactured B550/X570 boards will come pre-loaded with a BIOS ready for Zen 3, it's not guaranteed (especially if they've been sitting on warehouse shelves for a few months). I'd make sure to get a board with a USB BIOS flashback feature, so you can download the 1.1.8.0 AGESA BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer's website, and flash from a USB drive. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Unless you plan on buying in a few months from now, you should update bios anyways for stability and bug/compatibility fixes.

Any motherboard (b550 or x570) that has the features you want will pretty much work unless you plan on heavy overclocking, in which case go with a board with some good vrm's

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Just now, bellabichon said:

While it's possible that some recently manufactured B550/X570 boards will come pre-loaded with a BIOS ready for Zen 3, it's not guaranteed (especially if they've been sitting on warehouse shelves for a few months). I'd make sure to get a board with a USB BIOS flashback feature, so you can download the 1.1.8.0 AGESA BIOS from your motherboard manufacturer's website, and flash from a USB drive. 

Alright, thanks. I don't know which one to buy though.

Just now, techrecorder said:

Alright, thanks. I don't know which one to buy though.

Pretty much any decent B550/X570 board should do you just fine, but I can ask a few questions and make a recommendation.

1. What's the rest of your system config?
  2. Are you planning on overclocking?
  3. Do you need WiFi/lots of M.2 support/lots of USB ports/lots of fan headers/etc?
  4. Would you prefer a standard ATX board or something smaller, to fit in a smaller case?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

5 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Pretty much any decent B550/X570 board should do you just fine, but I can ask a few questions and make a recommendation.

1. What's the rest of your system config?
  2. Are you planning on overclocking?
  3. Do you need WiFi/lots of M.2 support/lots of USB ports/lots of fan headers/etc?
  4. Would you prefer a standard ATX board or something smaller, to fit in a smaller case?

1. CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum/NZXT Kraken X63

GPU: RTX 3080 10GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB - 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair RM850x (White)

SSD: Intel 545s 256GB

HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB

2. Not really, but if I do, only a light overclock.

3. I don't really need WiFi, since i use ethernet, don't need lots of m.2s, i'd like more usb ports though, not a lot of fan headers though.

4. Standard sized ATX board.

I was looking at the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI, what do you think of it?

Edited by techrecorder

15 minutes ago, techrecorder said:

1. CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum/NZXT Kraken X63

GPU: RTX 3080 10GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB - 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair RM850x (White)

SSD: Intel 545s 256GB

HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB

2. Not really, but if I do, only a light overclock.

3. I don't really need WiFi, since i use ethernet, don't need lots of m.2s, i'd like more usb ports though, not a lot of fan headers though.

4. Standard sized ATX board.

In that case, these are my recommendations:

All of these boards have good features, great VRMs, and the ability to flash a BIOS without a CPU installed. The exact process will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, so just follow their online instructions, and make sure your USB drive is formatted as FAT32.

Main PC:

Peripherals/Other:

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

19 minutes ago, techrecorder said:

I was looking at the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI, what do you think of it?

One of the worst boards on the market. Avoid at all costs. The B550 version on the other hand is solid.

If you want something fairly budget orientated but with a good VRM then the MSI B550-A PRO would fit the bill. 

14 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

One of the worst boards on the market. Avoid at all costs. The B550 version on the other hand is solid.

If you want something fairly budget orientated but with a good VRM then the MSI B550-A PRO would fit the bill. 

Thanks a lot!

18 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

In that case, these are my recommendations:

All of these boards have good features, great VRMs, and the ability to flash a BIOS without a CPU installed. The exact process will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, so just follow their online instructions, and make sure your USB drive is formatted as FAT32.

Thanks!

There are also new mobos coming out with the 5000 series in mind. At least two asus models, dark hero and the b550-xe. Asrock razer series and a new asrock x570 was just announced today too 

22 hours ago, chimimoryo said:

There are also new mobos coming out with the 5000 series in mind. At least two asus models, dark hero and the b550-xe. Asrock razer series and a new asrock x570 was just announced today too 

Already bought the MSI B550-A Pro (cheap and good)