Internet Connection Very Slow When Going Through Router Directly

rpalmz46

So my internet speed is 50mbits and if i connect my pc directly to the router i am currently using my speed is like 12mbits and upload is less than 1mbits. But I tried connecting directly with my ethernet cable to the modem and my speeds hit 50mbits and 10mbits upload. Also another weird thing is when I use my routers connection via wifi the speeds are fine. My question is why is my router seems to be slowing my speed down directly connected so significantly. My router is a Belkin N600 DB not a particularly amazing router but figured it would do the job. If anyone has any advice on how I can remedy this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Could be an issue with the cable or the specific port. Try different ports on the router and a different cable.

36 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

Do you have some kind of QOS setting enabled? Or maybe the port speed is set to 10Mbps?

Well there is a QOS setting enabled but i thought you wanted that on. I also tried all the ethernet ports on the router.

What I don't understand is when i have my pc connected via wifi my connection is still bad but my phone is fine. Like ill be hitting 40-50mbps download and then like 10mbps upload and then on my pc when connected either wifi or direct its like 10-25mbps download and like 0.10mbps to like 0.30mbps upload. What could be causing this kind of connection slowdown on my computer.

Just now, rpalmz46 said:

What I don't understand is when i have my pc connected via wifi my connection is still bad but my phone is fine. Like ill be hitting 40-50mbps download and then like 10mbps upload and then on my pc when connected either wifi or direct its like 10-25mbps download and like 0.10mbps to like 0.30mbps upload. What could be causing this kind of connection slowdown on my computer.

But As i said before when i connect my pc directly to modem the speeds are fine. This is boggling my mind.

44 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Well there is a QOS setting enabled but i thought you wanted that on. I also tried all the ethernet ports on the router.

If you disable QOS do you see a difference? 

18 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

If you disable QOS do you see a difference? 

Nope i did and it didnt change anything.

43 minutes ago, rpalmz46 said:

Nope i did and it didnt change anything.

You could try to reset your router to the factory settings (you should be able to backup your config to a file first) and update the firmware if there's a new one available. 

If it doesn't work, since it's an old router, maybe it's just defective, there's not much you can do except buying a new one. 

3 hours ago, rpalmz46 said:

So my internet speed is 50mbits and if i connect my pc directly to the router i am currently using my speed is like 12mbits and upload is less than 1mbits. But I tried connecting directly with my ethernet cable to the modem and my speeds hit 50mbits and 10mbits upload. Also another weird thing is when I use my routers connection via wifi the speeds are fine. My question is why is my router seems to be slowing my speed down directly connected so significantly. My router is a Belkin N600 DB not a particularly amazing router but figured it would do the job. If anyone has any advice on how I can remedy this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You can try updating the firmware. Some times that fixes funny issues. To be honest Belkin is not exactly what I would consider to be even a good router. They are like the bottom of the barrel router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

27 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You can try updating the firmware. Some times that fixes funny issues. To be honest Belkin is not exactly what I would consider to be even a good router. They are like the bottom of the barrel router. 

Yeah i think im going to have to head out tomorrow and get one and see if it fixes my problem.

1 minute ago, rpalmz46 said:

Yeah i think im going to have to head out tomorrow and get one and see if it fixes my problem.

If your on a budget, look at TP Link. They are decent for the money. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, rpalmz46 said:

It might simply be that the ISP has the original device MAC/hostname registered on their system which is the router, and if you plug in your PC, it's not provisioned and running in a degraded CPE mode. Like if you have phone or TV service that goes over IP by the ISP, then it might QoS reserved bandwidth for the devices that were originally connected to it.

Like if you want my honest opinion. Have the ISP replace the modem with their combo WiFi/Router/Switch model and then DMZ one of the ports to another router if you need another WiFi/Router.

18 hours ago, rpalmz46 said:

Well there is a QOS setting enabled but i thought you wanted that on

Disable that.  Only use QoS if you have a lot of people on your network fighting for bandwidth.