Should i change my I7 6700 for an I7 5820k? for gaming

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

If it's entirely free then go for it. You'd need only a small oc (like 200-300mhz which is easy as pie to do) to be back at single core 6700 performance levels but can go pretty far beyond it.

Hello, Good day.
Someone is offering me to change my i7 6700 for his i7 5820k ( with the mother board X99 G1 WIFI )

my actual pc specs are: (for 60fps 1080, i dont need more than that)

i7 6700 (NON K, the normal one)
GTX 1070 ASUS Dual
32gb 2133 Mhz G-SKILL
psu 850 evga bronce 2
hdd 3tb ( for games and stuff)
ssd 240gb (for OS and some heavy games like wow that takes ages to load)
Mother board Gigabyte z170x gaming 3 rev 1.1

the point is that i have 3 monitors and i like to multitask often, like watch some videos, listen to spottify , have Whatsapp web opened and chat with people SOMETIMES(VERY rare i stream), i do these things atleast 2 at the same time all the time, the games i play more oftenly are:

borderlands 3
apex legends
world of warcraft
genshin impact
ghost recon wild lands
and i want to play CP 2077

i often struggle because my CPU just gets to 100% and pc starts to struggle and gpu isn't even at 100% usage so, which cpu would pair better for my kind of usage and the gpu i have.

Thanks alot.

If it's free... why not? I have that combo (5820k/GTX1070) and it's been very difficult to justify upgrading. However, I do not watch videos while I play games. I haven't had issues otherwise. I often export photos from Lightroom and upload them to cloud services and I've had no issues. I also game at 1440p resolution so it's naturally going to skew my usage to the GPU.

You will be able to overclock the 5820k as long as your friend has a decent cooler.

I'm sure modern CPUs could do things faster, use less power, smell better out of the box, etc, etc, etc. I just can't justify spending over $2,500 for a new system. Especially because I can't even buy a modern GPU 😆

If it's entirely free then go for it. You'd need only a small oc (like 200-300mhz which is easy as pie to do) to be back at single core 6700 performance levels but can go pretty far beyond it.

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

If it's free... why not? I have that combo (5820k/GTX1070) and it's been very difficult to justify upgrading. However, I do not watch videos while I play games. I haven't had issues otherwise. I often export photos from Lightroom and upload them to cloud services and I've had no issues. I also game at 1440p resolution so it's naturally going to skew my usage to the GPU.

You will be able to overclock the 5820k as long as your friend has a decent cooler.

I'm sure modern CPUs could do things faster, use less power, smell better out of the box, etc, etc, etc. I just can't justify spending over $2,500 for a new system. Especially because I can't even buy a modern GPU 😆

I need some more information i mean, like people who knows really well both CPU'S and could accurate tell me if i'll benefit from switching from my 6700 for the 5820k , which one would be better for me

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

honestly i've never overclocked a CPU in my life, and it scares me lol

1 minute ago, polister said:

For that small oc to basically get you to the performance levels of a i7 6700 but it has 2 more cores and 4 more threads all you'd have to do is just change 1 value a little bit. The 5820k is a very easy overclocker from my experience and little has to be done to get it to go pretty high. Worst thing that happens as long as you don't go like hmm instead of 1.1v lets do 40v then worst case you need to reset the cmos.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

For that small oc to basically get you to the performance levels of a i7 6700 but it has 2 more cores and 4 more threads all you'd have to do is just change 1 value a little bit. The 5820k is a very easy overclocker from my experience and little has to be done to get it to go pretty high. Worst thing that happens as long as you don't go like hmm instead of 1.1v lets do 40v then worst case you need to reset the cmos.

i'll think of this, thanks  im pretty sure i'll accept the trade i just need some more opinions, thank you

40 minutes ago, polister said:

It's not that bad. The 5000 series actually OCed pretty nicely. You just need a good cooler! This is why I'm surprised your friend is willing to give up this 5 series for a 6... I'm skeptical

53 minutes ago, JohnT said:

It's not that bad. The 5000 series actually OCed pretty nicely. You just need a good cooler! This is why I'm surprised your friend is willing to give up this 5 series for a 6... I'm skeptical

i said a friend, but honestly there's more than that behind courtains so i just need to know if it's worth it, so far im down for trading the cpu's

For game performance on a CPU I use Cinebench R15 single core performance bench.

An i7 6700k scores 180 and a i7 5820k scores 139. Basically if the game does not use the extra cores you lose performance.

By contrast a new R5 5600x scores 258.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, jones177 said:

For game performance on a CPU I use Cinebench R15 single core performance bench.

An i7 6700k scores 180 and a i7 5820k scores 139. Basically if the game does not use the extra cores you lose performance.

By contrast a new R5 5600x scores 258.  

i said 6700-NONK you said 6700k , 6700 goes to 4.0ghz with 1 core with all 4 core maxes up to 3.7 , the 5820k maxes up to 3.6 but  i can overclock the 5820k , the general idea should be get the 5820k and OC atleast to 4.0 to get the same performance as the 6700 with the benefit of the 2+ cores, and also most games require 4+ cores these days, i've seen some comparisons of games ruuning with 2 4 6 8 cores and the more cores the more fps you get(deppends on the game too )

I would take that deal in a heartbeat. A GPU that is bottlenecked by a 5820k will also be bottlenecked by a 6700 anyway. And it’s very easy to OC the 5820K to an equivalent performance level (while using a fair bit more power). If you are heavily multitasking it will make a big difference having the extra cores, and it’s easy to upgrade RAM on X99. 

Basically this is a great trade for you. Provided of course that there is nothing wrong with the hardware. If you trust the person you’re trading with and you know it works I’d go for it. It’s a win for you 

That's an F in the profile pic