NVMe M.2 not working in an interesting way

EPicat

Hey guys I'm here because I've exhausted every option, I cannot get this M.2 ssd to get recognized by windows anywhere, both in the disk management and in the windows installer tool, but when I inspect my bios it shows up properly. My bios is up to date, all drivers up to date, downloaded specific drivers for my M.2 from the official website, switched around my previous sata connections and even disconnected all of them and tried to run only off the windows installer usb with the M.2 in and nothing. I'm attaching pictures of specs, program reports of my drives etc.

Ironically I paid for 1tb version of this M.2 from amazon and they accidently sent me the 2tb one 😆

IMG_20201104_194252.jpg

NVIDIA_Share_A3JGgqdVfU.png

Can you scroll further down the list at the bottom? No? Then...

If the drive is not in Disk management, look in device manager. If it's not in device manager, return the drive it's bad.

The drive must be in disk management in order to initialize and set partitions. 

Just went to device manager saw some cool stuff its detecting the drive there not sure what to do from there this is how far I got. 

mmc_LSSDvUpuUm.png

Yeah, that's not a good sign... 

I'd return it. Sorry for the bad news.

There has to be something I can do I hit the jackpot and accidently got a 2tb one when I paid for the 1tb one I doubt id get a 2tb one back. 

Just now, EPicat said:

There has to be something I can do I hit the jackpot and accidently got a 2tb one when I paid for the 1tb one I doubt id get a 2tb one back. 

Too good to be true. The drive is toast. 

If it's not in Disk management to even initialize to set up partitions in GPT, the drive is bad. 

Doesn't matter it's seen in bios. You can't even update the firmware if that where the issue.....

Again, I'm sorry. There's really no fix for this.

I mean, it could be the m.2 SSD. But it might aswell be your m.2 slot. If you have another pc with a m.2 slot. Or perhaps a friend does, try that first. I've had a problem with an ssd once where i had to reset the bios completely. Took out that cmos battery etc. That seemed to fix it. Its always worth a try. 

But as the others said.. Its not looking good for your m.2 :(

Edit: Which motherboard do you have?

okay I contacted samsung support Ill see what they can do

3 minutes ago, GenericFanboy said:

I mean, it could be the m.2 SSD. But it might aswell be your m.2 slot. If you have another pc with a m.2 slot. Or perhaps a friend does, try that first. I've had a problem with an ssd once where i had to reset the bios completely. Took out that cmos battery etc. That seemed to fix it. Its always worth a try. 

But as the others said.. Its not looking good for your m.2 :(

Edit: Which motherboard do you have?

B350 tomahawk MSI

Did you disable windows automatic driver installation?

image.png.b53254bae313715585577790bc80d9ec.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, EPicat said:

B350 tomahawk MSI

Did you update BIOS?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Bios is latest version, I have never disabled automatic drivers but what would I do after turning it off?

I am using double display port on my gpu not plugged in to motherboard graphics wise

1 minute ago, EPicat said:

Bios is latest version, I have never disabled automatic drivers but what would I do after turning it off?

It's on automatically in the windows install. You'd know if You turnt it off.....

I'm tellin ya, it's a bad drive. Seen it a million times.

MUST BE in Disk management to initialize a fresh drive. 

So what that means, windows sees the drive. 

All the specs are laid out and would be like drive 8 or something stupid. (why I said to scroll down if possible, might be empty space between the drives.) 

The drive would be shown as inactive. You would right click and "initialize" the drive.

Then you would have an empty drive that you will be prompted to assign a letter.

Once you've done that, you format and create the GPT partitions as desired.

Try Google, "970 Evo not in disk management". 

If it's not there, you'll find no solved threads. IE: bad drive.

I failed to mention that I also dont have the screw for the M.2 It was not in my box and I kind of half assed put a long screw half way in instead, would the angle of the M.2 affect it this way?

I failed to mention that I also dont have the screw for the M.2 It was not in my box and I kind of half assed put a long screw half way in instead, would the angle of the M.2 affect it this way?

🤦‍♂️

Well yeah, it needs to be secured...... lol.

find screw!

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

🤦‍♂️

Well yeah, it needs to be secured...... lol.

find screw!

I know its stupid but I assumed that as long as the drive was slotted into the contact it would work just fine, but if i have a chance of getting to work with just a screw might be worth a shot, will probably just order the screw from amazon cuz im pretty sure its gone into the void.

Just now, EPicat said:

I know its stupid but I assumed that as long as the drive was slotted into the contact it would work just fine, but if i have a chance of getting to work with just a screw might be worth a shot, will probably just order the screw from amazon cuz im pretty sure its gone into the void.

lol. 

So hopefully that resolves the issue. 

If it does, please quote me in the reply so I see the outcome. 

So slotted pins are just like LGA pins. If only ONE doesn't make good contact, you may not have working equipment.

That includes up to and not limited to: PCI, PIC-E, M.2, Cpu sockets and Cpu pins LGA/PGA. 

Can witness issues with card drooping off the board from all the weight too. (why my HTPC case design, board on it's back.

Good Luck! 

28 minutes ago, EPicat said:

I am using double display port on my gpu not plugged in to motherboard graphics wise

Might be the weirdest piece of advice i've ever given for this but.. Maybe try using hdmi and then try again? Someone else seemed to have this issue.

22 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

lol. 

So hopefully that resolves the issue. 

If it does, please quote me in the reply so I see the outcome. 

So slotted pins are just like LGA pins. If only ONE doesn't make good contact, you may not have working equipment.

That includes up to and not limited to: PCI, PIC-E, M.2, Cpu sockets and Cpu pins LGA/PGA. 

Can witness issues with card drooping off the board from all the weight too. (why my HTPC case design, board on it's back.

Good Luck! 

Ok I might be stupid or I might of gotten overly exited but the screw was sitting like 2 slots over on the m.2 slot and I probably looked over it thinking its a capacitor or something XD. EITHER WAY it is all plugged in PROPERLY and it still is the same across the board.

Ok I might be stupid or I might of gotten overly exited but the screw was sitting like 2 slots over on the m.2 slot and I probably looked over it thinking its a capacitor or something XD. EITHER WAY it is all plugged in PROPERLY and it still is the same across the board.

I'd return the drive honestly. 

Unless you have another drive to test the M.2 slot/s.... that's really your only option.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

I'd return the drive honestly. 

Unless you have another drive to test the M.2 slot/s.... that's really your only option.

I'm about to call samsung service request right now, if they're not 24/7 I'll call again tomorrow.