Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with oc-ing my R5 2600x

Hi,
I'm fairly new to overclocking and would be glad if some of you could help me out.
I have a ryzen 5 2600x which i'm running on an all core oc of 3.9Ghz (stock cooler) on the MSI b450 gaming pro carbon ac mobo.
my idle temps are shooting as high as 55-57degree C while remaining at lowest at around 47degree C, could you please advise on what settings should i do in Ryzen Master to obtain a stable (and cooler) overclock.

Screenshot (448).png

What cooler are you running? Your voltage is high for 3.9ghz, my 2600(non-X) will run 4.2 all core, or 4.3 on CCX1 and 4.2 on CCX2 with 1.35v get. However with a cheap 240mm AIO that runs in the mid 30s idle and peaks at or below 70C under artificial loads, like cinebench or prime.

that's actually lower than I'm getting on auto, you can undervolt a bit to lower temps but other than a new cooler there isn't muchCapture.thumb.JPG.2b01e179a41b2d568ba4b4c341aeecef.JPG

Current Config:

Spoiler

R5 2600X @4.1ghz all core, 16GB Patriot 3200mhz, 1TB XPG SX8200 Pro nvme, RTX 2070 Duke, CM Elite 110 mitx, pair of KRK Rokit 6 monitors with 10in sub, BenQ TH671ST projector for 150" screen. 

MSI Prestige 14 with too many cooling mods to list out (it's quiet now)

2 hours ago, RobFRaschke said:

What cooler are you running? Your voltage is high for 3.9ghz, my 2600(non-X) will run 4.2 all core, or 4.3 on CCX1 and 4.2 on CCX2 with 1.35v get. However with a cheap 240mm AIO that runs in the mid 30s idle and peaks at or below 70C under artificial loads, like cinebench or prime.

i'm using the stock amd cooler. aio's are steeply priced where i live so i didnt invest in them as of now
thanks for the input though :)

2 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

that's actually lower than I'm getting on auto, you can undervolt a bit to lower temps but other than a new cooler there isn't muchCapture.thumb.JPG.2b01e179a41b2d568ba4b4c341aeecef.JPG

okk  thankyou :)

21 hours ago, V3SPER said:

i'm using the stock amd cooler. aio's are steeply priced where i live so i didnt invest in them as of now
thanks for the input though :)

Those are about the temps I would expect on a wraith spire, so you're warm, but without a new cooler, you're not going to do any better unless you can lower the voltage and remain stable, which you should be able to do at only 3.9ghz.

8 hours ago, RobFRaschke said:

Those are about the temps I would expect on a wraith spire, so you're warm, but without a new cooler, you're not going to do any better unless you can lower the voltage and remain stable, which you should be able to do at only 3.9ghz.

hi, so i undervolted to about 1.325v(hardware info shows about 1.319v - sometimes hitting 1.325v) at 3.9ghz and ran the stress test on ryzen master.
hardware info at the moment has my min temp as 49.0 C and average as 59.3 C. 
NOTE: i had been getting around 41-45 C yesterday on 1.3125v for almost the whole day, but my system crashed while booting today so i bumped the voltage up a little using rzyen master, should i consider going back to 1.3125 again, to get the temps lower?
thanks for all your help :)
UPDATE:(after about 1-1.5hr) after some zoom classes running the updated temps are : current- 46.6-47.3C min-43.8 max-63.5 avg-48.6, should this be fine or is it a bit high?

Edited by V3SPER
update
On 11/4/2020 at 2:53 AM, V3SPER said:

Hi,
I'm fairly new to overclocking and would be glad if some of you could help me out.
I have a ryzen 5 2600x which i'm running on an all core oc of 3.9Ghz (stock cooler) on the MSI b450 gaming pro carbon ac mobo.
my idle temps are shooting as high as 55-57degree C while remaining at lowest at around 47degree C, could you please advise on what settings should i do in Ryzen Master to obtain a stable (and cooler) overclock.

Screenshot (448).png

Yeah, I agree with others, the main issue is your cooler. I use to use a cooler master liquid lite 120mm AIO on my 2600X. They are one of the cheapest AIOs you can get and they are perfect for this CPU, they work really well.

Are you using the windows Ryzen Balanced Power Plan? If not get that enabled.

Also, if you select game mode and precision boost overdrive and apply that and run cinebench R20 what is your result and max temps?

17 hours ago, Shabba said:

Yeah, I agree with others, the main issue is your cooler. I use to use a cooler master liquid lite 120mm AIO on my 2600X. They are one of the cheapest AIOs you can get and they are perfect for this CPU, they work really well.

Are you using the windows Ryzen Balanced Power Plan? If not get that enabled.

Also, if you select game mode and precision boost overdrive and apply that and run cinebench R20 what is your result and max temps?

i had PBO on previously but have now disabled it in BIOS, game mode is also disabled, with this my CR20 score was 2907 and i maxed at around 80-82C. I don't see Ryzen Balanced Power Plan in my power options.

Screenshot (460).png

7 hours ago, V3SPER said:

i had PBO on previously but have now disabled it in BIOS, game mode is also disabled, with this my CR20 score was 2907 and i maxed at around 80-82C. I don't see Ryzen Balanced Power Plan in my power options.

Screenshot (460).png

You need to install the AMD chipset drivers from AMD website to get the power plan. You'll get better performance with your ryzen. Linus did a video on it

On 11/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, Shabba said:

You need to install the AMD chipset drivers from AMD website to get the power plan. You'll get better performance with your ryzen. Linus did a video on it

so i switched to the power plan as well
but my rig keeps on crashing @ 3.9ghz(all cores) 1.325v (tho while it runs the temps seem stable enough @ about 45C)