anyone know how to make a windows bootible usb with a chromebook

Ryanwake

i just bought a chromebook, and i have 2 laptops without hard drives and wanted to fix them before  bought more ssds. 

also there sosent seem to be a way to right click with this trackpad anyone know how to. i can get by with some things like copying with ctrl cv but in used to having some fourm of auto correct

1 minute ago, Ryanwake said:

also there sosent seem to be a way to right click with this trackpad anyone know how to. i can get by with some things like copying with ctrl cv but in used to having some fourm of auto correct

I believe you just click with two fingers, same as a mac

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

8 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

I believe you just click with two fingers, same as a mac

thx it works

Double click, yes.

And, as far as I know, no, there is not yet a way to make a bootable USB from a Chromebook.

Because of this:

Chrome OS: Linux + Chrome - Terminal

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Double click, yes.

And, as far as I know, no, there is not yet a way to make a bootable USB from a Chromebook.

Because of this:

Chrome OS: Linux + Chrome - Terminal

even with an andriod app

If the laptops support UEFI then you can simply format the USB to FAT32, download the ISO, extract its contents and copy paste everything onto the USB.

If you need a legacy boot USB then grab the ISO, rename it and change the .iso extension to .bin, open Chrome Recovery Center, click the gear icon then click "Use Local Image", point it to the bin file, select the USB as the destination and it will create the drive for you.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

If the laptops support UEFI then you can simply format the USB to FAT32, download the ISO, extract its contents and copy paste everything onto the USB.

If you need a legacy boot USB then grab the ISO, rename it and change the .iso extension to .bin, open Chrome Recovery Center, click the gear icon then click "Use Local Image", point it to the bin file, select the USB as the source and it will create the drive for you.

i can format it to fat 32 idk how to check if my laptop supports uefi

Just now, Ryanwake said:

i can format it to fat 32 idk how to check if my laptop supports uefi

Use the second method, this should support both UEFI & Legacy.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

If you need a legacy boot USB then grab the ISO, rename it and change the .iso extension to .bin, open Chrome Recovery Center, click the gear icon then click "Use Local Image", point it to the bin file, select the USB as the destination and it will create the drive for you.

This will not work, Windows is so special that it needs its own proprietary tool to be burned to a USB drive, and that tool will not run on ChromeOS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

This will not work, Windows is so special that it needs its own proprietary tool to be burned to a USB drive, and that tool will not run on ChromeOS.

Theres nothing special about Windows at all and any software capable of doing byte by byte transfers is capable of writing Windows onto a USB drive. There are 3 tools I can name for Windows alone, you can use DD on Linux & macOS and UEFI booting requires nothing more than an EFI folder containing the boot files on a FAT32 partition.

I assure you, both methods I posted work.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Theres nothing special about Windows at all and any software capable of doing byte by byte transfers is capable of writing Windows onto a USB drive. There are 3 tools I can name for Windows alone, you can use DD on Linux & macOS and UEFI booting requires nothing more than an EFI folder containing the boot files on a FAT32 partition.

I assure you, both methods I posted work.

I've never been able to make a bootable Windows USB using DD, Etcher, or Rufus, and afaik nobody else has without extra work.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

19 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've never been able to make a bootable Windows USB using DD, Etcher, or Rufus, and afaik nobody else has without extra work.

Then you're doing something wrong because its possible in all the tools you listed. Sure it takes a few extra steps but the point is, it can be done. To say Windows is somehow special is demonstrably wrong, its a standard ISO9660 format image with a bootable MBR partition for legacy booting and an EFI folder for UEFI booting. Its literally how any modern bootable OS disc works (the only exception to this might be macOS but I'm not familiar enough with it or macs in general to know if that's true or not).

RUFUS can write any ISO to a USB, it doesn't care what it is, as long as you select the correct boot options it will write it (it will write it regardless, if the correct settings are not given the result might not boot)..

With Etcher you simply rename the image and change the .iso extension to .bin.

With DD again you have to tell it the correct boot options.

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Just select the correct ISO file and a couple of checkboxes, then let it be for about 10minutes and I have a bootable USB ready to go.

I don't know how much more simpler could Rufus possibly get

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

-> Moved to Operating Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/3/2020 at 8:21 PM, BigRom said:

Just select the correct ISO file and a couple of checkboxes, then let it be for about 10minutes and I have a bootable USB ready to go.

I don't know how much more simpler could Rufus possibly get

my internet is shitty and the download keeps crashing u think a torrent would be better