Youtube Ads - I Kind of Miss Cable

JacobFW

#FirstWorldIssue I know; just need to do some venting.

A lot of ranting I want to do, but I'll start it off by asking if anyone else is just losing their damn mind from Youtube's ads lately?  It just feels like over the last year (even prior to Covid) that they've just been getting worse and worse.  Roughly a year ago I started having this issue where I would only get one ad the entire day.  And no, I don't mean they would only play a single ad every 24 hours; I mean whatever the first ad I saw that day, every single ad spot would be the exact same ad, over, and over, and over, and over.....  Went on for about 3 months before that finally went away.

Also realized lately that the short & creative ads that I always praised and pointed out as one of the reasons why Youtube did advertising better have been replaced with ads that are pretty much the same as ads you would see on TV, only instead of actually having a commercial break, they just come out of the middle of no where.

Also noticed that Youtube has broken the promise they made several years ago to have the volume of the ad match that of the video it's in. 

Then of course at the end of July, YouTube force enabled a bunch of additional ads.

And finally here in the US it is of course election season, Youtube drops variety in exchange for the same political ads over and over again.

And to answer the smart@$$'s reading this (who am I kidding, they didn't make it this far but still responded anyway) and wondering why I don't have Youtube premium,it's because I don't think it's going to matter.  It seems pretty clear that Youtube is going the same business route as cable companies, and so it probably won't be long until even if you are paying a monthly premium, you'll still have to endure ads.

I really only get annoyed when I watch a video with someone on their device and they don't have premium. It's like, how can they even stand it? Just get premium, it's pretty cheap lol. I don't mean to sound disconnected from the reality of certain people's financial situations but a lot of people who don't want to pay that much will drop $8 a meal every time they buy fast food lol.

That said, it would be nice if they came up with a better model that didn't require so many ad insertions. If they could limit the amount of ads needed but just have each one pay more, viewers and content creators would be a lot happier. I'm not privy to all the inside info on why they do it this way though and frankly, I don't really pay much attention to the situation in general so I'm sure there are reasons why they do it the way they do.

I just watch it on my MacBook atm, you can literally just skip ads with the touch bar controls.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

get an ad blocker!

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

5 second ads piss me off way more because you can´t skip them and need to watch 5 seconds of the second ad too. I will ditch youtube in the future too just like TV

3 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I just watch it on my MacBook atm, you can literally just skip ads with the touch bar controls.

I will one up your touch bar mac with: Wireless ad skipping, called Adblock. Works great.

8 hours ago, wall03 said:

get an ad blocker!

Have ad block on my laptop and desktop (ironically i had disabled it on Youtube after being guilted by a bunch of the youtubers I watch but I've resumed it since all this started).

Issue is no only when I watch on my phone.

Take a shot everyone writes a several paragraph rant on ads that can easily be blocked with literally any free adblocker lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I will one up your touch bar mac with: Wireless ad skipping, called Adblock. Works great.

Yeah but that’s software I’d rather not download, at least with just skipping them the channel gets the money 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I adbock most videos and whitelist specific channels I want to support, the biggest "suggested next video" factors for channels in the algorithm now is watch time and clickthrough rate so I normally click through and play a few minutes of the channels' other videos I am suggested before moving onto the next video tab so the channels I want to support get pushed up in the suggestions. 

it's not a popular opinion but once midrolll ads started popping up and double (sometimes non-skippable) ads started to preface videos (bad enough to the point I would have to refresh the page or wait 2-3 minutes before watching a 5 min video) I had to make a choice and ads lost.

The ads are on a platform of excellent filmmakers who connect and understand their audience, I'm 100% more likely to buy a product from a company sponsoring creator's videos over an annoying ad no one wants to sit through. It actually does more to prevent me from purchasing their product out of spite. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

13 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

ads piss me off

In video ads piss me off the most. Especially the well hidden ads.

Ad break on TV are typically 5+ minutes long and can't be skipped. Sometimes, for some show or movies, you'd get about 5 to 10 minutes of the show and 5 minutes of ads again. Over and over until said show/movie is done.

I don't miss Cable ads, AT ALL.

On youtube, ads can usually be skipped after 5 seconds and even if they can't be skipped, they are still way shorter than cable TV ads. While longer videos can have a couple ads, most ads I've seen are about up to 30s and can typically be skipped after 5s regardless. Still way less time spent watching ads than cable.

Also, ublock origin still works perfectly fine on Youtube if you're that mad about it. And if it's on mobile, Youtube Vanced is a thing that exist.... And Sponsorblock is also a thing that exist to remove in-video sponsors.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The worst thing YouTube has done recently in terms of ads is placing them right before a video ends or a few seconds after the video begins.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Additionally, you can just get the SponsorBlock extension to skip in-video sponsor segments.

EDIT: Nevermind, someone already mentioned it.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s

As long as they're not intrusive, I don't mind the occasional 5 second ad AS LONG AS THE SERVICE ISN'T PAID FOR. This is the biggest fault with cable, and the main reason I will never get it.

Was pushed to use adblock when I kept getting long, unskippable ads years ago. Never looked back.

Pizza is the best food group

Have had Premium for a while, definitely worth it.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Option 1: get Premium.  It's month to month, so if they go the Hulu route and give you ads on top of the subscription, just cancel it.  

Option 2: re-contextualize the ads: Every ad served to you is money in the pocket of the creator who took their time and effort to offer you content for free.  YouTube has been very hard on creators these past few years, so seeing ads is great news for the health of the community and great incentive for good creators to make more content for us.  

Bonus: If you see 100 Biden/Trump ads in a day, that means they've wasted 99 ads worth of money.  Relish the money you have caused them to waste.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

On 11/1/2020 at 1:58 AM, JacobFW said:

#FirstWorldIssue I know; just need to do some venting.

A lot of ranting I want to do, but I'll start it off by asking if anyone else is just losing their damn mind from Youtube's ads lately?  It just feels like over the last year (even prior to Covid) that they've just been getting worse and worse.  Roughly a year ago I started having this issue where I would only get one ad the entire day.  And no, I don't mean they would only play a single ad every 24 hours; I mean whatever the first ad I saw that day, every single ad spot would be the exact same ad, over, and over, and over, and over.....  Went on for about 3 months before that finally went away.

Also realized lately that the short & creative ads that I always praised and pointed out as one of the reasons why Youtube did advertising better have been replaced with ads that are pretty much the same as ads you would see on TV, only instead of actually having a commercial break, they just come out of the middle of no where.

Also noticed that Youtube has broken the promise they made several years ago to have the volume of the ad match that of the video it's in. 

Then of course at the end of July, YouTube force enabled a bunch of additional ads.

And finally here in the US it is of course election season, Youtube drops variety in exchange for the same political ads over and over again.

And to answer the smart@$$'s reading this (who am I kidding, they didn't make it this far but still responded anyway) and wondering why I don't have Youtube premium,it's because I don't think it's going to matter.  It seems pretty clear that Youtube is going the same business route as cable companies, and so it probably won't be long until even if you are paying a monthly premium, you'll still have to endure ads.

you pay for cable that has ads...shouldn't cable be free with ads?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 11/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

I adbock most videos and whitelist specific channels I want to support, the biggest "suggested next video" factors for channels in the algorithm now is watch time and clickthrough rate so I normally click through and play a few minutes of the channels' other videos I am suggested before moving onto the next video tab so the channels I want to support get pushed up in the suggestions. 

it's not a popular opinion but once midrolll ads started popping up and double (sometimes non-skippable) ads started to preface videos (bad enough to the point I would have to refresh the page or wait 2-3 minutes before watching a 5 min video) I had to make a choice and ads lost.

The ads are on a platform of excellent filmmakers who connect and understand their audience, I'm 100% more likely to buy a product from a company sponsoring creator's videos over an annoying ad no one wants to sit through. It actually does more to prevent me from purchasing their product out of spite. 

i think cable ads are different then online ads. why i don't no. the cable ads treat you like a baby and don't even talk about there products.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 11/1/2020 at 2:54 PM, Lord Vile said:

Yeah but that’s software I’d rather not download, at least with just skipping them the channel gets the money 

just block the ads and do thumbs up. that just as good as watching ads. and some youtubers understand that the ads are annoying that's why they says thumbs up. or they build ads in to the video.

i think there should be a quota on how much ads you need to watch and not watch the same ad or pick the ads you want to watch.

Am posting this based on knowledge from putting ads on YouTube my self

4 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i think there should be a quota on how much ads you need to watch and not watch the same ad or pick the ads you want to watch.

This is already in place, but the advertiser chooses how many times you can watch the same ad again and again. If they want to get something to stick in your memory, they will just set it high or leave it to infinity

On 11/1/2020 at 10:54 PM, Lord Vile said:

I highly doubt any channel will be affected by your 2 pence daily contribution to their add revenue. Normally the creator only get's paid a lot if someone click on their ad, although some advertisers pay CPV (cost per view) instead of cost per action e.g. signing up for a site

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

On 11/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, JacobFW said:

Have ad block on my laptop and desktop (ironically i had disabled it on Youtube after being guilted by a bunch of the youtubers I watch but I've resumed it since all this started).

Issue is no only when I watch on my phone.

Don't feel guilty over it. The problem is with youtube's monetization method, not with you not wanting to be constantly assaulted by manipulative trash. Youtubers have found plenty of other, less obnoxious ways to make money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 11/1/2020 at 4:58 PM, JacobFW said:

-snip-

• use an adblocker
  • or pay for YouTube premium which also gives you YouTube music streaming (thankfully I'm still qualified for a student discount :P)

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside