Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HP Spectre x360 Thermal Control & Sleep/Hibernate Issues

Hi all,

This is a mixture of a public shaming of HP support as well as asking for technical help. I've contacted HP (under warranty) about these issues and they took the laptop and replaced the heatsink (It's clearly a software/firmware issue though) which did absolutely nothing. I contacted them again multiple times and are refusing to do anything about my £2k product unless it is crashing - which just seems like an excuse that they don't know what's wrong and don't want to look into it.

A few months ago I started noticing the fans were not turning on when they should and not enough, I could be running games, stress-tests or even just idling and the CPU would be reaching ~100C and the fan would not spin for a while or at all - and even when they do start spinning it is not enough the CPU still sits at 60-75C and the fans would spin down/off again. Obviously I take a performance hit from thermal throttling as the fans aren't doing enough.

I have also noticed recently that the machine will refuse to sleep properly and either the fans will be constantly running high or I come back to the laptop and it's untouchably hot (full-metal chassis ftw). Sometimes hibernating instead worked but other times that would do the same thing.

As part of troubleshooting, they've been multiple bios releases since the issue started happening and they don't make any difference, and Windows has been clean installed a couple times.

System Details:

HP Spectre x360 (P/N 7PZ50EA#ABU)

CPU: i7-9750H,

GPU: GTX 1650 Max-Q

Memory: 2x8GB Samsung 2666

BIOS: F.22 (Latest)

Are you 100% sure is software/firmware? They replaced the heat sink but could it possibly be the actual fans or the connectors? But if it is a firmware issue, you may not be able to do anything on your side and it may just have to be fixed on HP's side since it may be something only HP can modify. I'm not familiar with the HP system so you may also be able to control the fans and reconfigure them through some settings.

I know someone who owned an HP Spectre and used it without issue though.

I had a HP Spectre X360 15" 2018  bl112dx with the i7-8550U and MX 150 Nvidia graphics and that thing sucked for $1500. The screen would constantly dim and brighten (there is no auto-dim feature in this laptop or a sensor for it). The laptop got very hot while charging, temperatures would be high around 70-80 Celsius. There was even coil whine coming from the trackpad area of the laptop!!Took it in for extended warranty repair at Best Buy (retail store chain in the US) and they replaced the screen two times and thermal paste as well as the fans and still had issues. Since it was the 3rd attempt, they refunded me the balance of the laptop as store credit and will stay away from HP laptops as well as desktops. I did recall the Geek Squad service tech stating HP used to use great fans in their laptops but have become junk for originals except for the replacements. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List  ||Community Standards 

Lambda Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"