Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deciding between HD6xx, HD58x or any other?

I currently have the DT 990 pro which I'm very happy with (sound-wise), however, the issue I'm having is the earpads. When I first got them, my ears slightly touched the inside, but I thought it would go away when I wore them in, but they didn't, it has only gotten worse. I looked at some bigger earpads, but they would be upwards to 100 dollars, hence the shipping.

Been looking at some other headphones, like the HD6xx and HD58x, and I can't decide on what to pick from. I mainly do gaming but watch a lot of movies, series and youtube etc. I also been looking at other headphones such as the "HIFIMAN", any recommendations?

Using the massdrop DAC/AMP combo.

4 hours ago, Im_Ben said:

For gaming, I would recommend the HD58x, as it provides a better bass response the HD6xx.   The HD58x is the 660 while the HD6xx is the 650. 

If you are competitive FPS gaming, you are better off with closed back headphones as it is easier to know where the things like footsteps have come from.

AMD R7 2700 | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | B450M Mortar  | GTX 1070 6GB | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | BitFenix Phenom M | Corsair AX760 | Khadas Soundboard + JDS Labs Atom | Debian 10 SID

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

1 hour ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

If you are competitive FPS gaming, you are better off with closed back headphones as it is easier to know where the things like footsteps have come from

Not necessarily true. Why would for example ninja who is a competitive player use the DT 990 pros? Closed back is just better if you have too much noise. And if you just have high enough volume you barely hear your keyboard/PC

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 2pcs of 500gb M2 SSDs, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming/Music🎧

Philips Fidelio X2HR as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Cooler Master MM711, had a G502 HERO but was too heavy for my liking.

VR > Valve index kit

Why spend thousands on peripherals and your PC and forget one of the most important things... Audio.

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

7 hours ago, Im_Ben said:

I currently have the DT 990 pro which I'm very happy with (sound-wise), however, the issue I'm having is the earpads. When I first got them, my ears slightly touched the inside, but I thought it would go away when I wore them in, but they didn't, it has only gotten worse. I looked at some bigger earpads, but they would be upwards to 100 dollars, hence the shipping.

Where are you located? EU or US? Because I got my Dekoni Elite Velour ear pads for just 40£ from electromod. Which ship in the EU. Also these have memory foam. Unlike the OEM pads which have standard foam which squishes over time.

https://www.electromod.co.uk/products/dekoni/EliteVelour/Dekoni-Elite-Velour-Ear-pads-for-Beyerdynamic-DT770-880-990-Headphones/

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio or about your PC.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 9700k, GPU > RTX 2070 8gb, RAM > Corsair Vengance 2x8gb 3000mhz, Motherboard > Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Storage > 1TB HDD & 2pcs of 500gb M2 SSDs, Cooling > H100I Corsair Platinum, PSU > Corsair RM750X V2

🎧Current Audio Setup For Gaming/Music🎧

Philips Fidelio X2HR as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

The T.bone SC400 XLR mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > Razer Chroma v2 Orange Switches

Mouse > Cooler Master MM711, had a G502 HERO but was too heavy for my liking.

VR > Valve index kit

Why spend thousands on peripherals and your PC and forget one of the most important things... Audio.

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

The 58is better for gaming than the 6xx.

Feel free to send me a DM for further or general questions.

Lyrics I vibe with or just funny right now:

"This is food for thought, better take the whole plate

Don't lie, some of y'all thought food for thought meant taking these hoes on a date"-Injury Reserve

"Some of em just need to eat a whole thing of Crest"-MF DOOM

"Is it me bruh? (Is it me bruh?)
Am I a bruh? (Am I a bruh?)
Am I that bruh? (ouu)
Eating cactus (peyote)
I looked in the mirror (ya ya)
I like what i saw (that's a handsome boy)
Cuz I saw myself (hey)
And i was the bruh (the bruh)
I am not LeBron (LeBron)
But I am the bruh (the bruh)
I have seen the bruh (the bruh)
I have reached the bruh (the bro)
Why am I a thing? (ayy)
Why do things exist? (why)
All I am is bruh
Bruh is all there's left"-Hovey benjamin

1 hour ago, Tigerleon said:

Where are you located? EU or US? Because I got my Dekoni Elite Velour ear pads for just 40£ from electromod. Which ship in the EU. Also these have memory foam. Unlike the OEM pads which have standard foam which squishes over time.

https://www.electromod.co.uk/products/dekoni/EliteVelour/Dekoni-Elite-Velour-Ear-pads-for-Beyerdynamic-DT770-880-990-Headphones/

I live in Norway, however, had also been thinking to buy those, however, it would be almost 80£ in total. If I'm thinking about using 80£ on just earpads, I might as well just invest a bit more and myself a new headset. 

4 hours ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

For gaming, I would recommend the HD58x, as it provides a better bass response the HD6xx.   The HD58x is the 660 while the HD6xx is the 650. 

If you are competitive FPS gaming, you are better off with closed back headphones as it is easier to know where the things like footsteps have come from.

20 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 58is better for gaming than the 6xx.

Would you then say that the 6xx are better for movies then?

Just now, Im_Ben said:

Would you then say that the 6xx are better for movies then?

No, it's a slightly narrower sounding headphone with weaker imaging than the 58x. If you want a nice wide sounding headphone with deep cups check out the he 400i by hifiman but the imaging isn't as precise as the 990 or 58x. Other options to look into are the k

Akg k612 ,k701,q701k712 

Don't lie, some of y'all thought food for thought meant taking these hoes on a date"-Injury Reserve

Am I that bruh? (ouu)
Eating cactus (peyote)
Cuz I saw myself (hey)
I am not LeBron (LeBron)
Why am I a thing? (ayy)
All I am is bruh

Just now, rice guru said:

No, it's a slightly narrower sounding headphone with weaker imaging than the 58x. If you want a nice wide sounding headphone with deep cups check out the he 400i by hifiman but the imaging isn't as precise as the 990 or 58x. Other options to look into are the k

Akg k612 ,k701,q701k712 

Thanks, will look more into them!

12 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

Not necessarily true. Why would for example ninja who is a competitive player use the DT 990 pros? Closed back is just better if you have too much noise. And if you just have high enough volume you barely hear your keyboard/PC

Ninja isn’t Vikstar123, monitoring footsteps is far more important in COD Warzone than Fortnite.  Vikstar123 uses close backs. Close back are generally more easier for tracking sounds, this is just the nature of the headphones. 

AMD R7 2700 | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | B450M Mortar  | GTX 1070 6GB | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | BitFenix Phenom M | Corsair AX760 | Khadas Soundboard + JDS Labs Atom | Debian 10 SID

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

1 hour ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

Ninja isn’t Vikstar123, monitoring footsteps is far more important in COD Warzone than Fortnite.  Vikstar123 uses close backs. Close back are generally more easier for tracking sounds, this is just the nature of the headphones. 

I dissagree. it's a matter of preference and nvironment. closed backs are great if you need to focus but soundstage is diminished so your sense of depth is lowered. while with an open back ambient noise in ones environment can be distracting. a good example of streamers that use open backs are siege streamers as many swear by their dt 1990 for good reason I would argue sound is more integral to siege than warzone.. I do have issues playing warsone on my beyers but do really giid with my planars as well as my 58x so its a matter of games I guess

Am I that bruh? (ouu)
Eating cactus (peyote)
Cuz I saw myself (hey)
I am not LeBron (LeBron)
Why am I a thing? (ayy)
All I am is bruh