I am hoping for some legal insight on Nvidia

Kyle Manel

Hello there,

I am quite sure that many/most of us here have a love/hate relationship with Nvidia; We love their product, but hate their prices/influence/monopoly.

I am curious though, because it appears to me that the amount of influence Nvidia has on its market is precisely why monopoly law exists, and I am curious what your (legal professionals) perspective is on this.

I ask because Nvidia influence its market in aparently beneficial ways, though this could easily become destructive to any of their present markets with shifts in availability and/or cost... and it seems to me that this quantifiable control that Nvidia, doesn't necessarily, exert is why this laws exist, and I am confused why they cannot be actioned against Nvidia, because they are a legitimate monopoly in Graphics technology, which makes it far more valuable to them AND us, for them to be influencing growth in their market and facilitating growth of competition, not curbing/purchasing it instead.

While I certainly do welcome discussion, my purpose is to glean a legal description of why the graphics market is operating as it should be, or if it isn't why no one has actioned this issue.  And if time provides, perhaps a legal recognition of why these laws (monopoly) are productive and valuable to stem monopolization.

I don't think Nvidia really has enough market influence to be considered a monopoly. AMD has very competitive cards at the majority of price points (basically all of them if the 6800XT launch can be believed) and aside from RTX, which isn't required to run any games and is soon to have competition, there's nothing forcing anyone to buy an Nvidia card.

3 minutes ago, Kyle Manel said:

Hello there,

I am quite sure that many/most of us here have a love/hate relationship with Nvidia; We love their product, but hate their prices/influence/monopoly.

I am curious though, because it appears to me that the amount of influence Nvidia has on its market is precisely why monopoly law exists, and I am curious what your (legal professionals) perspective is on this.

I ask because Nvidia influence its market in aparently beneficial ways, though this could easily become destructive to any of their present markets with shifts in availability and/or cost... and it seems to me that this quantifiable control that Nvidia, doesn't necessarily, exert is why this laws exist, and I am confused why they cannot be actioned against Nvidia, because they are a legitimate monopoly in Graphics technology, which makes it far more valuable to them AND us, for them to be influencing growth in their market and facilitating growth of competition, not curbing/purchasing it instead.

While I certainly do welcome discussion, my purpose is to glean a legal description of why the graphics market is operating as it should be, or if it isn't why no one has actioned this issue.  And if time provides, perhaps a legal recognition of why these laws (monopoly) are productive and valuable to stem monopolization.

Probably has to do with them not being a monopoly. That's like saying Samsung or Apple has a monopoly.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.14a09e9e3b604b41e2b86f32e38e3c05.PNG

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

5 minutes ago, Kyle Manel said:

I am curious what your (legal professionals) perspective is on this.

I don't think we have any of those here

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm not a legal professional, but I certainly wouldn't call Nvidia a monopoly. They have competition, most notably from AMD. Nvidia isn't the only source of graphics cards.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

if they buy up amd, then they would be a monopoly. while them shorting the supply of their cards whether intentional or not, has nothing to do with being a monopoly, its just annoying. just my opinion, not a legal expert.

Many people and tech reviewers in particular have praised the hell out of Ampere, dare I say embarrasingly so. Realistically the new Nvidia architecture is one of it's least efficient and least improved ones yet. The power consumption of the new cards is linear to their performance improvement which points to no architectural generational improvement whatsoever. People keep drawing false comparisons between the 3080 and 2080Ti which was insanely ovepriced and leave the 3090 completely out of the question because it is " a Titan level card" . No, it is not a Titan card - hence it doesn't have a Titan driver and it can't do what a Titan card can. It is the flagship to which the 2080 Ti should be compared to but people somehow keep making the wrong conclusions because they just compare the wrong products.

While this weird rant might seem slightly off topic it's just a way for me to say that the "Nvidia monopoly" is almost entirely user driven. Nvidia somehow has become the Apple of GPUs. They can  do no wrong. Reality is much much different. Those cards operate at their absolute limit which is clear  by the crashing and stability issues and the almost 0 headroom for overclock. There is no "huge leap" in performance. The last 2 generations of cards equate to 1 generation worth of performance uplift.

If we look at AMD GPUs they shot themselves in the foot with the 5700 and 5700xt because of bad drivers on release  but those GPUs are perfectly competitive with Nvidia's 2070S and even 2080. And now that AMD have shown RDNA2 it's also clear that they'll be in the fight at the absolute high end as well. They might lose by 5-10% but their power consumption and their PRICE more than makes up for it. The monopoly is largely user driven and unfortunately Nvidia's cheap marketing tricks seem to have worked this time around better than ever.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

NVIDIA is not a monopoly, it doesn't meet that criteria in the 1st place.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

28 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I don't think we have any of those here

Nah, we've got a few YouTube University, school of law and order, grads in here somewhere.

15 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

If we look at AMD GPUs they shot themselves in the foot with the 5700 and 5700xt because of bad drivers on release  but those GPUs are perfectly competitive with Nvidia's 2070S and even 2080. And now that AMD have shown RDNA2 it's also clear that they'll be in the fight at the absolute high end as well. They might lose by 5-10% but their power consumption and their PRICE more than makes up for it. The monopoly is largely user driven and unfortunately Nvidia's cheap marketing tricks seem to have worked this time around better than ever.

Not to derail, as it leads into Intel and AMD. I'm curious to see what will happen to Intel with all this. I think in an indirect way they're caught in the crossfire. More so with people looking at CPUs also. If Zen 3+6800XT+MoBo is somewhat close to price of a 3090, what's to stop people from going to one brand to keep things simple? I think as long as AMD has a decent launch and drivers, both Nvidia and indirectly Intel will have a run for their money.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

35 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

if they buy up amd, then they would be a monopoly. while them shorting the supply of their cards whether intentional or not, has nothing to do with being a monopoly, its just annoying. just my opinion, not a legal expert.

They would have to buy AMD and Intel to have no competition in the market at all. 

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Nvidia's influence is created because they are the major trend setter in the industry. The reason? They pour billions of dollars into R&D for new tech. They were the first company to introduce the pixel shaders, a unified-shader architecture, GPU-based compute, Real-time Ray Tracing, AI-based rendering, and I'm sure a ton more tech that I cannot remember. None of this happened for free, and once they released it, the rest of the industry scrambled to catch up.

As others have pointed out, AMD's RX 6000 cards seem like they're going to be super competitive with RTX 3000 GPUs, so AMD may have well and truly (finally) caught up with them on a tech front. Because of this, the monopoly argument falls flat as Nvidia has very real competition from AMD.

Also, if you go by the numbers alone, Intel has the most "GPUs" on the market, and Nvidia would be very quick to point this out if a lawsuit on this item was brought against them.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air