Do I need to flush and inspect new water cooling components?

alyen

This will be my first time building a custom water loop. I order some water cooling parts from a various suppliers. Some items are already here and arriving in the next few days. I know its good to flush the radiator to make sure there are no left over manufacturing debris, but there are some other items I wasn't sure.

1) Fitting look good so far. Do I still need wash/flush them?

2) For something like the water block should I be putting some parts together with it to check if there is a leak, and also take it apart to make sure its in good inside?

3) When the loop is assembled is it okay to just use tap water for the initial testing then flush a couple of times with distilled water?

I won't be hooking things up onto the motherboard or it might only be connected to a older system for the first month. The CPU block is coming from China so it could be a few weeks before I get it arrives. In the mean time I wanted to get some advice in advance incase I missed something or run into some problems.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

2 minutes ago, alyen said:

This will be my first time building a custom water loop. I order some water cooling parts from a various suppliers. Some items are already here and arriving in the next few days. I know its good to flush the radiator to make sure there are no left over manufacturing debris, but there are some other items I wasn't sure.

1) Fitting look good so far. Do I still need wash/flush them?

2) For something like the water block should I be putting some parts together with it to check if there is a leak, and also take it apart to make sure its in good inside?

3) When the loop is assembled is it okay to just use tap water for the initial testing then flush a couple of times with distilled water?

I won't be hooking things up onto the motherboard or it might only be connected to a older system for the first month. The CPU block is coming from China so it could be a few weeks before I get it arrives. In the mean time I wanted to get some advice in advance incase I missed something or run into some problems.

Not really needed but I'd build the loop outside the Pc and leave it running over night to test that there's no water leaks, then drain and rebuild inside of the system.

Wouldn't recommend tap water for long term use

4 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Not really needed but I'd build the loop outside the Pc and leave it running over night to test that there's no water leaks, then drain and rebuild inside of the system.

Wouldn't recommend tap water for long term use

This, and don't use tap water, ever. But assemble and test, then drain and flush if any gunk is showing up.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

This, and don't use tap water, ever. But assemble and test, then drain and flush if any gunk is showing up.

Ek do a pressure tester that fills the loop with air, I think?

OP if you're looking for a easy alternative maybe get that?

1 minute ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Ek do a pressure tester that fills the loop with air, I think?

I was going to get the leak tester, but it was out stock when I ordered. I did find something on the forums about making one, but the BSPP thread wasn't very common enough to find in North America. I might have a look around to see if I can make something using a bicycle pump if I can find the right thread to work with a G1/4 fitting.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

16 minutes ago, alyen said:

I was going to get the leak tester, but it was out stock when I ordered. I did find something on the forums about making one, but the BSPP thread wasn't very common enough to find in North America. I might have a look around to see if I can make something using a bicycle pump if I can find the right thread to work with a G1/4 fitting.

You can also assemble everything and then only run the water cooling pump and not the rest of the system, using a PSU tester or shorting the 24 pin. that's how I would test anyway. You can just drop some paper towel inside of the PC and then check if anything gets wet. It really doesn't matter as long as you don't put in the PSU and drop water inside the PSU.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I got

54 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

You can also assemble everything and then only run the water cooling pump and not the rest of the system, using a PSU tester or shorting the 24 pin. that's how I would test anyway. You can just drop some paper towel inside of the PC and then check if anything gets wet. It really doesn't matter as long as you don't put in the PSU and drop water inside the PSU.

I will test it the case first. I don't really need a tester, but wanted to see I could build one with less than $25 of parts. I already went kind of cheap as I could go n my water loop and am a worried ordering from AliExpress and pump from Amazon. This is also intended to be kind of a fun project for me I hope.

10 hours ago, alyen said:

I got

I will test it the case first. I don't really need a tester, but wanted to see I could build one with less than $25 of parts. I already went kind of cheap as I could go n my water loop and am a worried ordering from AliExpress and pump from Amazon. This is also intended to be kind of a fun project for me I hope.

Make sure you're not mixing metals, that could lead to corrosion and could kill your system if it blocks the loop

I actually will be mixing metals and was intended to be a experiment for me to compare a open loop with similar parts to a AIO was better than a closed loop AIO. I picked a pump stronger than the typical AIO and some extra fittings to make things look a little more nicer to my liking so it did cost more than AIO, but still much less than going for loop with mixing metals and getting better quality branded parts. I know it will be risky, but have wanted to try a open loop system for quite some time.