Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do I need to flush and inspect new water cooling components?

This will be my first time building a custom water loop. I order some water cooling parts from a various suppliers. Some items are already here and arriving in the next few days. I know its good to flush the radiator to make sure there are no left over manufacturing debris, but there are some other items I wasn't sure.

1) Fitting look good so far. Do I still need wash/flush them?

2) For something like the water block should I be putting some parts together with it to check if there is a leak, and also take it apart to make sure its in good inside?

3) When the loop is assembled is it okay to just use tap water for the initial testing then flush a couple of times with distilled water?

 

I won't be hooking things up onto the motherboard or it might only be connected to a older system for the first month. The CPU block is coming from China so it could be a few weeks before I get it arrives. In the mean time I wanted to get some advice in advance incase I missed something or run into some problems.

 

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X   AIO: Gamer Storm Castle 360 RGB   Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4   Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   GPU: Asus RTX 2060 Super   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Corsair RM750x

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alyen said:

This will be my first time building a custom water loop. I order some water cooling parts from a various suppliers. Some items are already here and arriving in the next few days. I know its good to flush the radiator to make sure there are no left over manufacturing debris, but there are some other items I wasn't sure.

1) Fitting look good so far. Do I still need wash/flush them?

2) For something like the water block should I be putting some parts together with it to check if there is a leak, and also take it apart to make sure its in good inside?

3) When the loop is assembled is it okay to just use tap water for the initial testing then flush a couple of times with distilled water?

 

I won't be hooking things up onto the motherboard or it might only be connected to a older system for the first month. The CPU block is coming from China so it could be a few weeks before I get it arrives. In the mean time I wanted to get some advice in advance incase I missed something or run into some problems.

 

 

Not really needed but I'd build the loop outside the Pc and leave it running over night to test that there's no water leaks, then drain and rebuild inside of the system.

 

Wouldn't recommend tap water for long term use

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Not really needed but I'd build the loop outside the Pc and leave it running over night to test that there's no water leaks, then drain and rebuild inside of the system.

 

Wouldn't recommend tap water for long term use

This, and don't use tap water, ever. But assemble and test, then drain and flush if any gunk is showing up.

CPU: i7 9700K@5.3, 5.3, 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, Default CL17, testing new timings

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's

BIOS SETTINGS: https://www.overclock.net/threads/xtu-oc-help-on-i7-9700k.1773955/post-28649779

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

This, and don't use tap water, ever. But assemble and test, then drain and flush if any gunk is showing up.

Ek do a pressure tester that fills the loop with air, I think?

OP if you're looking for a easy alternative maybe get that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Ek do a pressure tester that fills the loop with air, I think?

I was going to get the leak tester, but it was out stock when I ordered. I did find something on the forums about making one, but the BSPP thread wasn't very common enough to find in North America. I might have a look around to see if I can make something using a bicycle pump if I can find the right thread to work with a G1/4 fitting.

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X   AIO: Gamer Storm Castle 360 RGB   Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4   Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   GPU: Asus RTX 2060 Super   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Corsair RM750x

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, alyen said:

I was going to get the leak tester, but it was out stock when I ordered. I did find something on the forums about making one, but the BSPP thread wasn't very common enough to find in North America. I might have a look around to see if I can make something using a bicycle pump if I can find the right thread to work with a G1/4 fitting.

 

You can also assemble everything and then only run the water cooling pump and not the rest of the system, using a PSU tester or shorting the 24 pin. that's how I would test anyway. You can just drop some paper towel inside of the PC and then check if anything gets wet. It really doesn't matter as long as you don't put in the PSU and drop water inside the PSU.

CPU: i7 9700K@5.3, 5.3, 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1

cache x47, AVX offset 0

Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb@4000, Default CL17, testing new timings

PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync

GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition w/ G12 bracket

Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout

Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb

Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's

BIOS SETTINGS: https://www.overclock.net/threads/xtu-oc-help-on-i7-9700k.1773955/post-28649779

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got

54 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

You can also assemble everything and then only run the water cooling pump and not the rest of the system, using a PSU tester or shorting the 24 pin. that's how I would test anyway. You can just drop some paper towel inside of the PC and then check if anything gets wet. It really doesn't matter as long as you don't put in the PSU and drop water inside the PSU.

I will test it the case first. I don't really need a tester, but wanted to see I could build one with less than $25 of parts. I already went kind of cheap as I could go n my water loop and am a worried ordering from AliExpress and pump from Amazon. This is also intended to be kind of a fun project for me I hope.

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X   AIO: Gamer Storm Castle 360 RGB   Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4   Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   GPU: Asus RTX 2060 Super   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Corsair RM750x

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, alyen said:

I got

I will test it the case first. I don't really need a tester, but wanted to see I could build one with less than $25 of parts. I already went kind of cheap as I could go n my water loop and am a worried ordering from AliExpress and pump from Amazon. This is also intended to be kind of a fun project for me I hope.

 

Make sure you're not mixing metals, that could lead to corrosion and could kill your system if it blocks the loop

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually will be mixing metals and was intended to be a experiment for me to compare a open loop with similar parts to a AIO was better than a closed loop AIO. I picked a pump stronger than the typical AIO and some extra fittings to make things look a little more nicer to my liking so it did cost more than AIO, but still much less than going for loop with mixing metals and getting better quality branded parts. I know it will be risky, but have wanted to try a open loop system for quite some time.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X   AIO: Gamer Storm Castle 360 RGB   Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4   Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   GPU: Asus RTX 2060 Super   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Corsair RM750x

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×