RTX 3070 FE Vertical Mount

maxparker

Hey everyone - 

I've been planning a new rendering build (I'm a freelance VFX Artist) for a while, as I'm currently working on a MacBook Pro. I finally managed to grab an RTX 3070 Founders Edition from Microcenter. I'm aware of the thermal disadvantages of a vertical GPU mount, but I was wondering if there are any specific reasons (with the new-ish cooling system) on the 3070 FE to stick with a normal GPU mount. Also, would there be disadvantages to a PCIe 3.0 riser instead of a 4.0? Thanks.

Max Parker

maxparkervfx.com

3 minutes ago, maxparker said:

Also, would there be disadvantages to a PCIe 3.0 riser instead of a 4.0? Thanks.

4.0 risers are known to be iffy in reliability.

I believe all of the air is sucked in from the front, so that would still be limited. I may be wrong though.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, maxparker said:

Hey everyone - 

I've been planning a new rendering build (I'm a freelance VFX Artist) for a while, as I'm currently working on a MacBook Pro. I finally managed to grab an RTX 3070 Founders Edition from Microcenter. I'm aware of the thermal disadvantages of a vertical GPU mount, but I was wondering if there are any specific reasons (with the new-ish cooling system) on the 3070 FE to stick with a normal GPU mount. Also, would there be disadvantages to a PCIe 3.0 riser instead of a 4.0? Thanks.

Max Parker

maxparkervfx.com

The 3070 is still like the normal dual fan coolers it's all air from the bottom of the card. For the risers pcie 4.0 is less reliable.

36 minutes ago, maxparker said:

Also, would there be disadvantages to a PCIe 3.0 riser instead of a 4.0? Thanks.

You won’t be able to use Nvidia direct storage but it hasn’t been implemented in any application yet

would also require a PCIe 4 SSD

so besides that no

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler