Can we have an option to use the previous theme please?

Roswell

I understand that it's preference, but I am super duper not a fan of this layout. Can we have the option to enable a "classic" theme or something?

• Distinguishing who is the OP is now a chore. It used to be colored red which would naturally catch your eye and was aligned to the left of content where your eyes naturally gravitate when you start reading. Now it's unintuitively all the way out in the middle of nowhere on the right where nobody looks and in a light blue which is not easy to catch.
  • The alignment of just about everything is way off, it's not pretty to look at. Content boxes are just seemingly thrown wherever with no regard to surrounding elements, nothing aligns and in turn just looks jarring.
  • Padding is way too much.
  • Signatures are now enormous and dominate threads.
  • Fonts are more difficult to read and icons are wonky and large.

I could go on, but I'd just like the option to go back to a more usable experience.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Distinguishing who is the OP is now a chore. It used to be colored red which would naturally catch your eye and was aligned to the left of content where your eyes naturally gravitate when you start reading. Now it's unintuitively all the way out in the middle of nowhere on the right where nobody looks and in a light blue which is not easy to catch

This is the only real problem I have, which has already been mentioned several times and will likely be fixed soon.

You'll get used to the rest.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

This is the only real problem I have, which has already been mentioned several times and will likely be fixed soon.

You'll get used to the rest.

The layout and lack of alignment goes against just about every design philosophy out there. Sure I can get used to it, but I'd rather go back to a more pleasant experience that was correctly implemented.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, Vitamanic said:

Signatures are now enormous and dominate threads.

Do you have an example of this? I haven't noticed any issues with signatures here or on the beta forum when testing.

Looking at Kelvinhall's signature in the post above it seems to collapse to a reasonable size.

image.thumb.png.a09b5a7008357cdf193a286d80462123.png

The only thing that I am thinking it might be is if you were looking at a post from a user who has lots of badges and text under their profile image which can cause posts that are only a single line of text to stretch out. That was the same on the old theme though, so being able to switch to the older theme would not change that.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

Fonts are more difficult to read and icons are wonky and large.

It's now using the same font as the old forum theme before the update. Which icons?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Someone else already made a topic about this. According to @colonel_mortis, it's not possible to make the old theme available.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

10 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Fonts are more difficult to read and icons are wonky and large.

Also the font was recently changed back to what it was on the old forum version. I didn't like the new font either, and I'm glad it was changed back.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

The dark theme now is ass imo. I liked the old one better. It was grey scale. This one is more black scale. It just looks worse to me.

4 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

The layout and lack of alignment goes against just about every design philosophy out there. Sure I can get used to it, but I'd rather go back to a more pleasant experience that was correctly implemented.

This one is cleaner i think, as for the alignment i don't feel any difference in my monitor.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I also really fucking hate this thing: ass.thumb.PNG.f8164babe83e7d9b7c32eee577686a32.PNG

the topic?

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

the topic?

No the banner thing. It's just a waste of screen space and useless. The old themes didn't need this and portrayed the same info in a more efficient manner imo.

I honestly don't care about any of that lmao. It works like it's supposed too, I have no complaints. Everything is perfect.

The geek himself.

There were couple of things in beta which were left and of which I would agree on criticism. Like the new Author badge. It should be in same orange mentions are. The place is fine as is, you get used to it. Like to many other smaller things. How many of you lot were there when the last major overhaul was made 5 years ago?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

How many of you lot were there when the last major overhaul was made 5 years ago?

I was there. I left for about 3.5 years because of that overhaul. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

22 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

There were couple of things in beta which were left and of which I would agree on criticism. Like the new Author badge. It should be in same orange mentions are. The place is fine as is, you get used to it. Like to many other smaller things. How many of you lot were there when the last major overhaul was made 5 years ago?

There are a lot of things that will be easy to get used to, some things like the super tiny font (on my phone at least) not so much. 

The thing is though, why this change, where are the improvements? There also wasn't a real explanation why these changes were deemed necessary afaik... That would have surely helped to accept the changes I think. 

I also think there were probably some under the hood changes as well but things like mobile notifications and editing in quotes on mobile still don't work (I suppose) 

As for the notification thing I don't know if it can even be fixed, it does work on discord for example - it might just be an android 10 thing tho. 

But yeah, the question is why, the forum was at least visually almost perfect, the new spacing and alignments, and all the different gray shades don't really improve it, they just made it incoherent, in my humble opinion. 

Never change a winning team. 

If there was a legacy theme, exactly how the old layout and color scheme was I'd switch back immediately and never think about it again. 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The thing is though, why this change, where are the improvements? There also wasn't a real explanation why these changes were deemed necessary afaik... That would have surely helped to accept the changes I think. 

The theme and features come from software. Since the core software changed, they changed how base themes work. This custom theme is built from that base theme.

But yeah, the question is why, the forum was at least visually almost perfect, the new spacing and alignments, and all the different gray shades don't really improve it, they just made it incoherent, in my humble opinion.

It also took about 3-5 months of testing and fixing last time major upgrade was made. Now I think beta was online just 1-2 months.

Never change a winning team. 

If this logic would be always followed, why must Apple remove things people like? The Google/Apple design philosophy (whity and roundy) is the most stupid and boring out there. I was really happy this forum didn't take that approach when it was popular last time.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:

Distinguishing who is the OP is now a chore. It used to be colored red which would naturally catch your eye and was aligned to the left of content where your eyes naturally gravitate when you start reading. Now it's unintuitively all the way out in the middle of nowhere on the right where nobody looks and in a light blue which is not easy to catch.

I'll be honest, before this forum change, I had not once seen or noticed anything that would indicate someone was the OP of a thread.

Now with this change, one of the first thing I did notice, was the "Author" bubble in the top right of a post if it was made by the OP, which I did notice right away on the Dark Theme.

Was there really something before?

So to me, this change is a welcome one. To each their own I suppose?

1 hour ago, Vitamanic said:
  • Signatures are now enormous and dominate threads.
  • Fonts are more difficult to read and icons are wonky and large.

Not too sure what you're going on about on that one. I have no such issue on my end.

Signatures looks as usual and the fonts look the same to me.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The theme and features come from software. Since the core software changed, they changed how base themes work. This custom theme is built from that base theme

I see, that probably explains why we won't get a legacy theme then I guess. 

Still I wonder why, maybe better functionality down the road? 

It also took about 3-5 months of testing and fixing last time major upgrade was made. Now I think beta was online just 1-2 months.

Yeah true, I'm aware this isn't the "final form" I'm just giving feedback to the changes I actually see. :)

Google/Apple design

I just feel generally a lot of design choices nowadays are aimed to make usability and readability easier, but actually accomplish the opposite and those are a very good examples of how not to do it, Microsoft too... I also hate the trend of having "black themes" not actually being black, white on gray is just very hard to read for me (and unfortunately it's basically everywhere!) 

I did modify my Steam client for example to be truly black (and small) it's great... But I shouldn't need to do this in the first place and it's not feasible to do for any application, device etc either... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

I'll be honest, before this forum change, I had not once seen or noticed anything that would indicate someone was the OP of a thread.

Now with this change, one of the first thing I did notice, was the "Author" bubble in the top right of a post if it was made by the OP, which I did notice right away on the Dark Theme.

Yes, there definitely was something before! My experience is exactly opposite that of yours; I always saw the tag before the change, and always miss it now. I guess it has something to do with where we naturally look.

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

the fonts look the same to me.

The font has fortunately already been changed back. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Next to the post time/date stamp was orange text saying "Original Poster"

image.thumb.png.3f8180d434b77645b67a1c607a3ae918.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Yes, there definitely was something before! My experience is exactly opposite that of yours; I always saw the tag before the change, and always miss it now. I guess it has something to do with where we naturally look.

Exactly! I don't even see who's the op now anymore... 

I know there's a new tag... But it totally evades my views now, never had that problem before it was crystal clear who was the op lol. 

Btw another good example, why this red box with the empty spaces around it?  It makes it very difficult to even type anything because there's so little real estate now (that goes under alignment issues imo) 

Just give me the whole space of my screen to type, pretty please? -.-

340649462_Screenshot_20201031-230203_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.cf41bf2c41ff34bdece758cadeb1c082.jpg

I don't even know where I'm supposed to click to type now, oof... 

987492397_Screenshot_20201031-230445_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.58c74ecd0e2271c5d1f9a921e8f509e7.jpg

wtf.gif.2b0b4af09e2594bb0e6fe447c45dbb7d.gif.aee557728c3301a0ba9dfc4c4d0a4ee7.gif

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Like to many other smaller things. How many of you lot were there when the last major overhaul was made 5 years ago?

i miss the BB code editor. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

For me, I'm more apt to looking at a user's profile pic and name. So having the OP badge on the same side as that makes much more sense to me, rather than having to actually look for it. All of the other info about a user is right there, why move the OP badge away from that? It's senseless to me.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

why move the OP badge away from that? It's senseless to me.

I believe it's because that's where all of the tags are now. Author, Solution, Popular Post, Featured Comment

image.png.821b073cf206595848166d11fdc6612c.png

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Next to the post time/date stamp was orange text saying "Original Poster"

Legit never saw that. 😂

Well, I guess people will get used to seeing the tags on the right side sooner or later.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro