Planning new Ryzen 9 5900X Build - Need opinions/2nd pair of eyes.

Budget (including currency): $5,000 USD+

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Will be wokring on it during the day (work from home) for 9 hours, plus gaming after hours/night time, weekends, etc.

I am coming from a 5th gen Core i7 with a GTX 970, so it's time for an upgrade for sure.

I know RTX 3080 is still *impossible* to get - any advice on that would be appreciated it. Would go for ASUS Strix 3080 if not founders edition. 

I have the AX 1200i power supply, and the Odyssey G9 already for my existing build. I plan to re-use both of those components, and my Windows 10 license.

Everything else needs to be all-new, as I'll repurpose this PC elsewhere with a smaller PSU.

(I have no idea why I bought a 1200W PSU back then but I already have it so might as well keep using it!)

CURRENT IDEA: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mQkZfP

Notable exceptions is the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero, I'm looking for the Dark Hero, hopefully they actually launch that alongside Ryzen 5000 series.

I'm very unsure about the Corsiar MP6000 2TB PCIe 4 M.2 drive. Is this a good/solid drive? I'd normally go with Samsung EVO but they don't have  2TB PCIe 4 M.2 yet, and only have a 1TB drive.

I'd really like to have just one drive to store my OS, programs, games, etc, and a 1TB at the end of the day likely wont be enough. My current build has 1.3TB used across 2 disks.

Any thoughts or glaring concerns I should be aware of are very welcome. I haven't build new in quite a while. Thanks in advance!

It's not impossible. Go to a few local stores and see if they allow you to put orders in. It only took my friend 3 weeks from launch day to get his.

Build looks fine. I haven't really looked into PCIe 4 SSDs, since they're not really necessary for anything I do, but TechPowerUp has great reviews where they'll compare multiple drives through many scenarios. I'd check out their coverage of them.

If you don't use CUDA and aren't worried about their drivers, AMD's new cards might be worth looking into.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

It's not impossible. Go to a few local stores and see if they allow you to put orders in. It only took my friend 3 weeks from launch day to get his.

Build looks fine. I haven't really looked into PCIe 4 SSDs, since they're not really necessary for anything I do, but TechPowerUp has great reviews where they'll compare multiple drives through many scenarios. I'd check out their coverage of them.

If you don't use CUDA and aren't worried about their drivers, AMD's new cards might be worth looking into.

So sadly only local stores near me are BestBuy (which is a joke when it comes to PC enthausiast hardware... i'm still shocked they're the retailer for FE cards.) and Microcenter, which is always my go-to place, but they just have signs up that say they are all out of RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 cards and online orders are not an option, no preorder, or order head and your only option is to get lucky and show up at a store when they get a shipment in and that's it. :(

I wish there was a waitlist online for a major reatailer like BestBuy or Amazon so we can all just get on a list and get cards as they become available. 

I do plan on looking more into AMD's cards. And honestly if a RX 6800 XT is *available* while Nvidia's cards aren't available, I'll honestly probably just end up buying that... 

I'd prefer Nvidia for a GPU still but I used to say the same thing about Intel for CPUs ;) Times are changing.

24 minutes ago, CorneliousJD said:

So sadly only local stores near me are BestBuy (which is a joke when it comes to PC enthausiast hardware... i'm still shocked they're the retailer for FE cards.) and Microcenter, which is always my go-to place, but they just have signs up that say they are all out of RTX 3070, 3080 and 3090 cards and online orders are not an option, no preorder, or order head and your only option is to get lucky and show up at a store when they get a shipment in and that's it. :(

I wish there was a waitlist online for a major reatailer like BestBuy or Amazon so we can all just get on a list and get cards as they become available. 

I do plan on looking more into AMD's cards. And honestly if a RX 6800 XT is *available* while Nvidia's cards aren't available, I'll honestly probably just end up buying that... 

I'd prefer Nvidia for a GPU still but I used to say the same thing about Intel for CPUs ;) Times are changing.

That's unfortunate. You'll just have to wait it out I suppose. I wouldn't bet on there being more AMD availability than there is Nvidia. Even with the features they're putting in place, they're still going to sell out. It's a demand issue that simply isn't going to be satisfied by either party.

I personally wouldn't go with AMD, but that's because I told myself I'd only consider them if they made it through a generation without horrible driver support/issues.

So far that hasn't happened.

If you stream at all, Nvidia's Broadcast suite is also pretty great.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yep, the AMD GPU driver situation worries me. A LOT. 

I'd greatly prefer an RTX 3080 if I can get my hands on one. Preferably FE, but ASUS Strix/Strix OC would be 2nd choice for me.

I'm pretty undecided about the case too.

I'm not huge into RGB on the PC itself (mine sits to my LEFT so I'll miss out on seeing most of it anyways, and I'll eventually find it quite distracting when I sit at my PC for 9+ hours a day for work too). 

However, the H115i Platinum cooler isn't much more expensive than the non-RGB version, and the RAM is like the same price right now for RGB vs non-RGB, and then at the end of the day if I'm going to have RGB components why not get a case that can at least kind of show some of it off, despite not seeing it? 

I'm on the fence about that stuff but it's all within the budget. The ASUS Dark Hero has RGB too, so if some of the components will have it's the same/not much more to get it on other components I guess I'm figuring "why not" but I could probably save a fair amount on a case that doesn't need to show that off, and probably can have better airflow too. 

I'm open to a non-RGB build for sure. 

Just don't know what my best alternative options are for case and mobo really.