Looking for some ARGB fans and connection options 140mm vs 120mm

Go to solution Solved by thrasher_565,
11 minutes ago, Exeon said:

Wait, I thought the halo's could swap between colors but not display different colors at the same time.

Can you link any? This might totally change my mindset around halo's vs ARGB fans

ARGB

ARGB LUX

RGB MORE LEDS

RGB LUX

JMMODS

the lux is aluminum

high density is more leds (the less led one might discontinued)

digital is argb

they also  have some in black and silver

So I'm planning on buying the Asus TUF GT501 white edition.

I currently have a mix and match set of Blue LED fans that I want to replace.

I'd like to connect all the fans to my Asus motherboard so I'll be using Asus Aura Sync to adjust the lighting.

I'm asking for suggestions for fans here, I don't want to sacrifice too much on airflow for lighting here.

So what I need is:

- Recommended fans

- How to connect said fans to the 1 header on the motherboard

- The case allows for either 3x120mm front, 3x120top or 2x140mm 2x140mm top which is better?

In total I'm either getting 6x120mm fans + 140mm fan or 5x140mm fans.

I might switch it up though getting more CFM from the front as it'll have less fans.

I'm also not using any kind of radiator 

Thanks in advance

140mm fans are quieter than 120mm fans since they don't have to work as hard to push as much air through. The downside is you can't fit as many. 6 fans does seem a bit excessive to me though. I personally would go with the two 140mm front and two 140mm top. Or maybe go with 2 140mm top and 3 120mm front if you want to create positive pressure.

As far as what fans you should get, depends on your budget. RGB fans can vary a LOT in price. Ideally if you want to be able to connect all the fans to one RGB header, you should get fans that come with an RGB hub that all the fans connect to, and then the hub connects to the motherboard.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

12 hours ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

140mm fans are quieter than 120mm fans since they don't have to work as hard to push as much air through. The downside is you can't fit as many. 6 fans does seem a bit excessive to me though. I personally would go with the two 140mm front and two 140mm top. Or maybe go with 2 140mm top and 3 120mm front if you want to create positive pressure.

As far as what fans you should get, depends on your budget. RGB fans can vary a LOT in price. Ideally if you want to be able to connect all the fans to one RGB header, you should get fans that come with an RGB hub that all the fans connect to, and then the hub connects to the motherboard.

I think 3x120mm higher performing fans front and 3x140mm for the back (2 top 1 rear) would work out.

I wasn't planning to pay more than 20€ per fan in this case 2 triple packs can work out.

I'm thinking of putting 3x Fractal Design Prisma AL-12 PWM in the front since these seems to have the highest airflow among ARGB fans

I'm not sure yet about which 140mm yet though

On 10/31/2020 at 12:13 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

If that's excessive, what would you call my build? Mega uber ultra excessive? I'm running 6 Noctua 140 and 10 Noctua 120 with 9 Phantek fan frames. 😆

Like spice, the air must flow... lol Actually I just did it for looks and partly so i can use a glass front panel. If I had used Corsair QL or Thermaltakes riing quad I would have had to take out a loan...  :)

10 hours ago, NadeMagnet69 said:

If that's excessive, what would you call my build? Mega uber ultra excessive? I'm running 6 Noctua 140 and 10 Noctua 120 with 9 Phantek fan frames. 😆

Like spice, the air must flow... lol Actually I just did it for looks and partly so i can use a glass front panel. If I had used Corsair QL or Thermaltakes riing quad I would have had to take out a loan...  :)

my build has 26 argb fans and 12 non rgb out of a total of 42 fans...i guest im the god of fans then

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 11/1/2020 at 1:03 AM, Exeon said:

I think 3x120mm higher performing fans front and 3x140mm for the back (2 top 1 rear) would work out.

I wasn't planning to pay more than 20€ per fan in this case 2 triple packs can work out.

I'm thinking of putting 3x Fractal Design Prisma AL-12 PWM in the front since these seems to have the highest airflow among ARGB fans

I'm not sure yet about which 140mm yet though

the best performance fans would be non rgb fans and an argb grill. that being said anything you pick will probably be good enough. would have to take in case and air filters in to account. as for fans you need fans that is the 2+1 pin connector or your going to need adapters that adds cost.

what the best performance argb fan is that i have no idea.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

59 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

the best performance fans would be non rgb fans and an argb grill. that being said anything you pick will probably be good enough. would have to take in case and air filters in to account. as for fans you need fans that is the 2+1 pin connector or your going to need adapters that adds cost.

what the best performance argb fan is that i have no idea.

I did think of this, though I don't have the option of individual adressable LED's with the halo cover

1 hour ago, Exeon said:

I did think of this, though I don't have the option of individual adressable LED's with the halo cover

don't understand your looking at argb fan Fractal Design Prisma AL-12. whats thew difference form argb fans and gill?

halos come in rgb and argb.

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

don't understand your looking at argb fan Fractal Design Prisma AL-12. whats thew difference form argb fans and gill?

halos come in rgb and argb.

Wait, I thought the halo's could swap between colors but not display different colors at the same time.

Can you link any? This might totally change my mindset around halo's vs ARGB fans

11 minutes ago, Exeon said:

ARGB

ARGB LUX

RGB MORE LEDS

RGB LUX

JMMODS

the lux is aluminum

digital is argb

Edited by thrasher_565

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ARGB

ARGB LUX

RGB MORE LEDS

RGB LUX

JMMODS

the lux is aluminum

digital is argb

Thanks man, I'm mostly likely going with this system over ARGB fans.

Although this isn't up to par with some of the "fancy" corsairs fans it gets quite close and it doesn't impact performance.

Now to find fans that combine with these, too bad Noctua doesn't make white bladed fans, though I've seen this works even on the black fans

14 minutes ago, Exeon said:

Thanks man, I'm mostly likely going with this system over ARGB fans.

Although this isn't up to par with some of the "fancy" corsairs fans it gets quite close and it doesn't impact performance.

Now to find fans that combine with these, too bad Noctua doesn't make white bladed fans, though I've seen this works even on the black fans

ya but the due loops and quad loops also cost at lot as well. this will cost a bit but its the best of both worlds. if you all ready have the fans then its wont be that bad.

ya it took a LONG time to get black Noctua fans til be another 10+ years before we get rgb ones...

i get the its brand recognition. everyone no whos brown fan that is.

Edited by thrasher_565

13 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya but the due loops and quad loops also cost at lot as well. this will cost a bit but its the best of both worlds. if you all ready have the fans then its wont be that bad.

ya it took a LONG time to get black Noctua fans til be another 10+ years before we get rgb ones...

i get the its brand recognition. everyone no whos brown fan that is.

I actually own 2x 140mm noctua PWM fans, they are beige though, so I wonder how well they will fit a black/white case with a black or aluminum halo on it

I could take out 2 more 140mm fans from the NH-D15, I managed to get a sweet deal on a second NH-D15 chromax black edition, so I'm going to replace my current NH-D15.

Could take off the fans and sell the block as is