Hey all have to return my Odyessy G9, need replacement advice!

Falseprophet

Hey all,

After snagging a 3080 from Nvidia, I thought I would treat myself to a display upgrade. I was running a 32 inch 16:9 AOC AGON 1440p monitor recommended by hardware unboxed. Overall it was a great monitor , but I felt that the 3080 deserves something a little more premium. Against my better judgment I went with the Odyssey G9 and for a day it worked like a dream. I wont list the few problems that cropped up but it is safe to say I am not taking a chance in keeping it and would like something else in its stead.

Getting to the point, I cant decide if I want to go with the LG OLED that everyone has been going nuts for, which is on sale for virtually the same price as the G9 so I could pretty much just exchange it through amazon, or should I go with a smaller 34-38 inch ultrawide?  I love the peripheral views I get from this super ultrawide, but I wasn't expecting how hard it would be to drive. With my I7-9700k OC to 5ghz and a FE 3080 (no OC), I can barely get 60 FPS, (and sometimes much less like 45...) in titles like WD: legion and RDR2 with max settings. What do you guys think? I think the 4K TV may be slightly easier to drive despite having more pixels, because without the 32:9 aspect ratio there are less objects being rendered and less geometry processing and draw calls to the GPU. I would like a premium display with decent HDR capabilities. My biggest concern is that with the desk I have a 55 inch TV would just be super overkill for screen real-estate as I only sit about two feet away from my screen. I have done some research, but I am not a display aficionado and I am afraid I might make a poor choice. Any help would be appreciated. My budget is around 1500 and I would like to stay there or under that.  Like I said the LG  OLED looks like a great option, but I am afraid of burn in. I watched the Rtings year long burn in test video and it relieved me somewhat, but I spend a lot of time on my PC and I am afraid 4 or 5 years later the tv would become unusable. Thank you for your time.

Not 100% sure on the monitor you should choose, but I do know you basing your experience off of 2 bad titles on PC.. WD:L and RDR2 isnt a good idea... both are great games, but piss poor optimization for PC. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Why not just use your current AOC? Anything wrong with it? I mean yeah 4k high fps gaming for a 3080 is still not possible at full high-ultra settings.

An OLED monitor is really nice to have. I'd get that.

Also, 'Max Settings' are a damn joke. Optimize your settings.

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why not just use your current AOC? Anything wrong with it? I mean yeah 4k high fps gaming for a 3080 is still not possible at full high-ultra settings.

There's a major technical issue with it that I have been putting up with. if it powers down and cools off overnight, when I go to turn it back on It looks broke and has a bunch of scan line through the image. after 30 minutes or so and it heats up the image becomes fine, I am guessing it is a soldering issue of some sort. I would like a bit more of a premium display, the AOC AGON monitor was nice for the most part, but you need to run it on sRGB mode or everything has a huge red tint to it. If you run it on sRGB mode the color is fantastic, but it locks a lot of the display features for some reason.

55 minutes ago, Falseprophet said:

There's a major technical issue with it that I have been putting up with. if it powers down and cools off overnight, when I go to turn it back on It looks broke and has a bunch of scan line through the image. after 30 minutes or so and it heats up the image becomes fine, I am guessing it is a soldering issue of some sort. I would like a bit more of a premium display, the AOC AGON monitor was nice for the most part, but you need to run it on sRGB mode or everything has a huge red tint to it. If you run it on sRGB mode the color is fantastic, but it locks a lot of the display features for some reason.

That should not happen tho, maybe RMA-ing will get you a proper working one?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

2 hours ago, Falseprophet said:

I will wait a bit if anyone has another suggestion I would love to hear it.

Id be concerned with burn in on OLED. I would definitely stick with an ultra wide. I have a cheaper one and I have to say its a nice aspect ratio. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Did you look at 48' LG OLED that was recently released?

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Personally, ill be going OLED 'soon'. Basically as soon as the LG CX 48" here in the UK drops to a more reasonable price, hopefully over the Xmas sales period.

In terms of pure image quality, no monitor beats a LG CX 48". Its the top 'monitor' on the rtings review list for a reason.

It may 'only' do 120hz, but thats enough considering its OLED pixels are fast enough to ensure that 120hz is super crisp and clear.

Now OLED 'burn in' as everyone calls it, is a thing, ull need to change up ur habitual use if u want to avoid it as best u can.

No leaving the display on, no opening windows to the same size over and over (like web browsers), use animated / changing desktop backgrounds, hide ur task bar, hide ur desktop icons or make them transparent. Enable a screen saver. And ofc dont play the same high contrast games for thousands of hours.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

3 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Personally, ill be going OLED 'soon'. Basically as soon as the LG CX 48" here in the UK drops to a more reasonable price, hopefully over the Xmas sales period.

In terms of pure image quality, no monitor beats a LG CX 48". Its the top 'monitor' on the rtings review list for a reason.

It may 'only' do 120hz, but thats enough considering its OLED pixels are fast enough to ensure that 120hz is super crisp and clear.

Now OLED 'burn in' as everyone calls it, is a thing, ull need to change up ur habitual use if u want to avoid it as best u can.

No leaving the display on, no opening windows to the same size over and over (like web browsers), use animated / changing desktop backgrounds, hide ur task bar, hide ur desktop icons or make them transparent. Enable a screen saver. And ofc dont play the same high contrast games for thousands of hours.

Honestly I have been playing today without any issues I turn the brightness down to 80 I am wondering if running it at max brightness was causing a display issue. If it ran like this for its life cycle I would be perfectly happy. It still cant hit 240 hz. However since I cant even hit those numbers at this resolution it would be a moot point anyway. May use it another week to see how I feel.