Idea I have to keep my computer from heating up my room.

Paul_Johnson

I have to run some of my games at 1080p or 1440p rez in order to keep my PC from crashing while I'm waiting to upgrade my gpu from 1070ti to 3070,80, or 90 gpu. Until then, my PC basically becomes a space heater for my room, especially when I'm using my HTC vive cosmos elite headset I recently got. I need to know if this is a stupid idea, and if so, if there's a more practical solution. 

My idea: You know those hoses or conduits(not sure what the proper term is) you see coming out of a laundry dryer that go into a wall in order to eject the heat out of the house instead of heating up the laundry room in your house? What if I did that with my computer? I was thinking of creating something that covers the back fans of my PC case where all the hot air comes out and channel it into this conduit. I would then open my window partially and place a wooden board I would cut to fill up the open space that would create, and then attached the other end of the conduit to the board where I would have a hole cut into it to attach the end of the conduit to. It's a very cheap solution. A bit bulky but could serve as a cheap "bandaid" to my situation while I'm waiting months and months for a 3000 series card to be available to purchase at normal prices(vs scalping prices). 

Here's an image of what I'm talking about:

http://cooling-idea.jpg

Is this a stupid idea? And if so, what's a more practical solution?

My PC specs are:

CPU: i78700k

CPU cooling: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835352029?Item=N82E16835352029

motherboard: MSI z370-a pro

RAM: 64GB

GPU: 1070ti(no liquid cooling, just the air cooling heatsink that's traditionally part of GPUs)

PSU: 850watt 80+gold

C Drive: m.2nvme

D drive: 5TB HDD

E drive: 4TB SDD

Looks like it would work, but it sounds like it might be more complicated than it needs to be.

15 minutes ago, Paul_Johnson said:

what's a more practical solution?

Well, you could just do this and skip everything else:

15 minutes ago, Paul_Johnson said:

I would then open my window partially

lol I'll try that and see what happens. I knew there was likely a simpler solution staring me in the face. 

2 hours ago, Paul_Johnson said:

I would then open my window partially

Just remember that if there's moisture in the air from outside it could damage your components over time.  Or be like mid 20's me: open the window to 10 below zero and try to make your i7 run a normal temps. Do not recommend.
AhzGsqq.png

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

I have done this before it works fine you need to make sure you do a couple of things.

Make a shroud to cover all exhaust from the system. I made mine of cardboard. I also made the window seal of cardboard. It cheaper and easier to work with.

If you dont have multiple exhaust fans you'll definitely want to add a fan at the end of duct nearest the window. This will help fight against back pressure from windy days.

You may want a cover at the end of the duct that can be pointed down side rain doesn't blow inside. But this will depend on the position of how the ducting connects to the window

23 minutes ago, MewMew said:

Just remember that if there's moisture in the air from outside it could damage your components over time.  Or be like mid 20's me: open the window to 10 below zero and try to make your i7 run a normal temps. Do not recommend.
AhzGsqq.png

Doesn't quite work that way. 

But if this a concern just run an exhaust fan at end thats gets it power from a separate power source than from the pc

6 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Doesn't quite work that way. 

If you could only see me in a literal Parka.

春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。春の八王子、君はもういない。独り八王子、君はいないから。

3 minutes ago, MewMew said:

If you could only see me in a literal Parka.

Not sure what your trying to say

On 10/31/2020 at 10:49 AM, narrdarr said:

Not sure what your trying to say

He didn't realize you were talking specifically about the moisture level, and not the rest of the comment.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:06 AM, MewMew said:

Just remember that if there's moisture in the air from outside it could damage your components over time.

That is not how it works. The only way it can damage anything is if it condenses on the components, and then shorts something. (and that will be an instant impact, not an over-time thing) As a matter of fact, higher moisture levels in the air is hugely beneficial for computers, as it reduces static buildup in the components, and very slightly improves cooling efficiency.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms