Upgrade AM3+ CPU? or is it a waste of money?

Hi guys

I have been building my pc and upgrading it over the years. Im stuck with this PC since i cannot afford to buy a newer generation at the moment. 

What i would love to is be able to play FS2020 with decent FPS. Since its a CPU heavy game I was wondering if upgrading my FX8320E would be a solution to squeeze a little more performance out of my rig?

My options are:

AMD FX-8350 (around 160 EUR)

AMD FX-9370 (used around 190EUR)

AMD FX-9590 (used around 200EUR)

My current specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

CPU:  AMD FX-8320E

GPU: Dual Radeon RX 480 8GB

RAM: 32 GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) (4x8GB)

PSU: Corsair RM850

Is it really worth the money to upgrade the CPU or maybe GPU?

Thanks for your help :) 

100% complete waste of money. Save up and get on a new platform. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Beyond a waste of money. Like a cheap 60€ dell with a i5 2400 from before those cpu's even existed is better.

Also no system currently can run flight sim well. But for best results you need a system that has a LOT of single core performance. Even the cheapest amd cpu (athlon 3000g) is about double the single core performance of a fx 8350 and still beats even the best am3 cpu easily. So just save up for a new platform in your case.

Without even considering the prices you are looking at paying, I vote for waste of money. Taking into account the prices, I think it would be insane to put that towards an FX system. You already have an "8 core" you can overclock, and the best you could be do is get a chip that might overclock slightly more, which won't result in a noticeable difference.

Also, not sure how upgrading your GPU will help you if you are already saying you are CPU limited for what you want to do with you computer.

My suggestion is to put that 160-200 towards a new platform, save until you can afford to upgrade and you can also sell your current system to help a little bit. You don't need to get a top of the line CPU either as you can slowly upgrade that machine over time, and for example a newer Rysen 3 will out perform he FX chip by quite a bit. You can even keep one of the 2 480's until you can save to upgrade the gpu to something better.

Just taking a quick look, you didn't say where in Europe that you lived, but its totally possible for less than 100 more euros than you CPU budget you could swap you cpu/motherboard/ram for something that will better.

Thank you all for your input. I will stick to my setup as it is and save for a new one. 

On 10/31/2020 at 7:37 AM, sevenup said:

Hi guys

I have been building my pc and upgrading it over the years. Im stuck with this PC since i cannot afford to buy a newer generation at the moment. 

What i would love to is be able to play FS2020 with decent FPS. Since its a CPU heavy game I was wondering if upgrading my FX8320E would be a solution to squeeze a little more performance out of my rig?

My options are:

AMD FX-8350 (around 160 EUR)

AMD FX-9370 (used around 190EUR)

AMD FX-9590 (used around 200EUR)

My current specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

CPU:  AMD FX-8320E

GPU: Dual Radeon RX 480 8GB

RAM: 32 GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) (4x8GB)

PSU: Corsair RM850

Is it really worth the money to upgrade the CPU or maybe GPU?

Thanks for your help :)

all of these cpus are just overclocked versions of yours so if you want the performance of those cpus all you will need to do is overclock your 8320e to those clock speeds.