A huge doubt on the choice of the recently bought cpu

Hi, dear community!

Two years ago I upgraded (as I was thinking of this purchase) my pc. Namely, I have moved from the i5 2500 to the i5 8600 (note, that there is no 'k' letter after either of the model names), B360-G mobo from asus and the pure rock cpu cooler from bequiet.

I have instantly noticed that my old cpu's turbo was much more of a turbo than of the new one. These two extra cores do not seem to make any impact on the real performance of the system. I started to get various stutters, freezes and spikes in performance. In example, if there's a code (typescript) being compiled, the cursor movement will be intermittent. There was no such issue on the old system. Not to mention that the Fusion360 will go irresponsive or even hang or crash every now and then, despite I'm only making some enclosures for the electronics I make for myself (hobby stuff).

Sure, there is a boost in synthetic stuff, like creating archives or computing something, but these overall stutters and drops are just unbearable.

TL;DR: is it worth it getting a more powerful cpu, while keeping the rest of the system? My current specs are:

CPU: i5 8600 (no 'k' letter at the end, this is NOT an overclockable cpu)

MOBO: asus B360-G gaming rog strix

CPU cooler: bequiet pure rock

RAM: 2x8gb of kingston hyperx ddr4 (regular version, not overclocked)

GPU: MSI gtx1060 (6gb version)

PSU: Seasonic S12G-650

There's also a 180gb ssd for the operating system. TIA

1 minute ago, paprikman said:

I have instantly noticed that my old cpu's turbo was much more of a turbo than of the new one. These two extra cores do not seem to make any impact on the real performance of the system. I started to get various stutters, freezes and spikes in performance.

Was this on a fresh Windows install or the old one from back when you were using the 2500?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Was this on a fresh Windows install or the old one from back when you were using the 2500?

I didn't do a fresh install, but it's the windows 8.1, which was doing some 'configuration' stuff when the new hardware was installed. I hoped that this was enough, since it was up and running. Sure, this is the most obvious thing to just reinstall everything. However, getting everything set up after a true clean install should take up the entire weekend. I work from home and this is my daily driver pc, so I cannot afford any sudden problems with it.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Have you watched the cpu usage while your system stutters?

Yeah, it's like a spike of 100% usage at this time. I have also did a scan with malwarebytes and it's all clean.

2 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Yeah, it's like a spike of 100% usage at this time. I have also did a scan with malwarebytes and it's all clean.

Not much you can do except buying a better cpu. i7 8700k looks pretty good and not too expensive on ebay (~270 €). 6 core cpus should be more than enough for quite a while. I would not buy a new system.

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Not much you can do except buying a better cpu. i7 8700k looks pretty good and not too expensive on ebay (~270 €). 6 core cpus should be more than enough for quite a while. I would not buy a new system.

Yes, this is the only thing I was considering - getting just a new cpu. It's not about for how long this one should work fine, it's about getting a proper performance right here and right now, and to eliminate these issues.