Clicky keyboard but not annoying

CheeseGaming43

Im getting my grandpa into games and he wants a clicky keyboard but not super loud and annoying, budget is 150$ 

What size ?   Full, tkl, 60% ...

Well if you want not so loud clicky switches don't go with outemu blue, those are really really loud.  Cherry mx blue are a bit more quiet than the outemu ... but it's still clicky and clicky makes noise.  The cherry blue are using a click jacket and will have some rattle in it.  I have a anne pro 2 with those and the click is really not that annoying and it might suit the needs ... but I'm still not a fan of that keyboard.

If you want not too loud and annoying clicky switches I would suggest something with kailh box white.  The click is sharp and kinda high pitch but not to the extreme compared to the cherry blue.  The nice thing about the box white is that it's using a click bar as the click mechanism and tactile mechanism too ... the feeling is quite nice and there's no rattle at all.  I'm just really sold on click bar, that's what made me like clicky switches ... was hating them before trying the kailh box white. 

There's also the kailh box navy which have a higher weight spring and thicker click bar which produce a deeper sound as I've been told.  I haven't tried them yet but intend to do so in the future. 

As for a keyboard with those, I don't really know any prebuilt one so my suggestion would be the gmmk barebone with some kailh box white or navy switches and a keycap set.  If he wants to go 60% there's more option for the hotswappable board ; I've heard good things about the GK61 and I have the keymove snowfox that is really great. 

12 hours ago, Slottr said:

So something with Browns?

Brown switches are not clicky switches.  They do make sounds but they don't have click mechanism inside ... the sound they emit comes from down stroke and upstroke of the switch only. 

Maybe it's what the op was referring to as clicky but not loud and annoying ... in that case then yes something with browns would be good but not cherry browns as they are really underwhelming ... I would go with kailh browns or some other tactiles switches if you want to feel the tactile bump.  The switch will still make sound of course and the sound will depend of the case and the keycaps.  I don't have much experience with prebuilt and also we still don't know if it's a full size keyboard, tkl or 60% ... rgb or not ... layout ... etc.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

4 hours ago, Dr0y said:

What size ?   Full, tkl, 60% ...

Well if you want not so loud clicky switches don't go with outemu blue, those are really really loud.  Cherry mx blue are a bit more quiet than the outemu ... but it's still clicky and clicky makes noise.  The cherry blue are using a click jacket and will have some rattle in it.  I have a anne pro 2 with those and the click is really not that annoying and it might suit the needs ... but I'm still not a fan of that keyboard.

If you want not too loud and annoying clicky switches I would suggest something with kailh box white.  The click is sharp and kinda high pitch but not to the extreme compared to the cherry blue.  The nice thing about the box white is that it's using a click bar as the click mechanism and tactile mechanism too ... the feeling is quite nice and there's no rattle at all.  I'm just really sold on click bar, that's what made me like clicky switches ... was hating them before trying the kailh box white. 

There's also the kailh box navy which have a higher weight spring and thicker click bar which produce a deeper sound as I've been told.  I haven't tried them yet but intend to do so in the future. 

As for a keyboard with those, I don't really know any prebuilt one so my suggestion would be the gmmk barebone with some kailh box white or navy switches and a keycap set.  If he wants to go 60% there's more option for the hotswappable board ; I've heard good things about the GK61 and I have the keymove snowfox that is really great. 

Brown switches are not clicky switches.  They do make sounds but they don't have click mechanism inside ... the sound they emit comes from down stroke and upstroke of the switch only. 

Maybe it's what the op was referring to as clicky but not loud and annoying ... in that case then yes something with browns would be good but not cherry browns as they are really underwhelming ... I would go with kailh browns or some other tactiles switches if you want to feel the tactile bump.  The switch will still make sound of course and the sound will depend of the case and the keycaps.  I don't have much experience with prebuilt and also we still don't know if it's a full size keyboard, tkl or 60% ... rgb or not ... layout ... etc.

He needs a full size for work, and he doesn’t want something that’s just a tactile, he wants a actually clicky switch.

3 hours ago, CheeseGaming43 said:

He needs a full size for work, and he doesn’t want something that’s just a tactile, he wants a actually clicky switch.

then the easiest would be gmmk with kailh box white of kailh box navy with a nice set of sa keycap for that retro look and sound ... ;)

If not that he can try some durgod taurus with cherry mx blue

Ducky one 2 full size with cherry mx blue

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD