Adata Changed the Controller and NAND on the SX8200 Pro

Random_Person1234

Didn't think this was important enough for the tech news section, so I decided to post it here in storage devices.

Adata changed the controller and NAND on the Adata SX8200 Pro, one of the best value SSDs currently. The controller has been changed from the SMI SM2262EN to the slower SMI SM2262G. Adata also changed the NAND flash to fulfill demand. These changes were not announced to the public until a Reddit post brought it to attention. This means some people who bought the drive recently may not have known they were buying a drive that may be slower than review units, which all featured the SMI SM2262EN. Adata claims the drive "will perform to spec within the regular variations."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

44 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Didn't think this was important enough for the tech news section, so I decided to post it here in storage devices.

Adata changed the controller and NAND on the Adata SX8200 Pro, one of the best value SSDs currently. The controller has been changed from the SMI SM2262EN to the slower SMI SM2262G. Adata also changed the NAND flash to fulfill demand. These changes were not announced to the public until a Reddit post brought it to attention. This means some people who bought the drive recently may not have known they were buying a drive that may be slower than review units, which all featured the SMI SM2262EN. Adata claims the drive "will perform to spec within the regular variations."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-controller-change

Ripperoni 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Can confirm, ADATA seems pretty adversarial about it as well. Would be nice to see some tech YouTubers maybe tackle it.

So some random information I heard over the grapevine. Apparently people covering this news and sharing it on social media sites are getting cease and desist letters from ADATA themselves. This is some MSI-Gamersnexus level stuff.

2 minutes ago, RX78-2 said:

So some random information I heard over the grapevine. Apparently people covering this news and sharing it on social media sites are getting cease and desist letters from ADATA themselves. This is some MSI-Gamersnexus level stuff.

I haven't heard of that. But if that is the case, RIP me.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

2 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I haven't heard of that. But if that is the case, RIP me.

Why RIP you?

1 minute ago, RX78-2 said:

Why RIP you?

I shared it on a social media site.

2 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I shared it on a social media site.

lmao oh tru. Expect the notice to arrive but not too soon since they silently changed out the C/D sender to a slower version /s

Kinda sad that Adata is still trying to BS their way out of this despite being caught

2 hours ago, RX78-2 said:

I know they're not happy with the TH author about it, might impact his ability to get review samples. As for C&D, I was merely advised to remove my posts on the subject until things got worked out officially, so as not to risk spreading FUD.

1 hour ago, NewMaxx said:

I know they're not happy with the TH author about it, might impact his ability to get review samples. As for C&D, I was merely advised to remove my posts on the subject until things got worked out officially, so as not to risk spreading FUD.

If Adata are trying to hide this change, I can understand not being happy with TH right now. This article is the headline on TH currently, with “slower controller” on the title.

@NewMaxx Also, if this is the real Newmaxx from the Reddit sub-forum, you might want to change the controller spec on your SSD spreadsheet.