Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD's RX 6800 Beats Nvidia's RTX 3090

Yes, you read that right. AMD lowest tier of graphics card announced at the recent event, costing only $579, beats Nvidia's top of the line RTX 3090 that costs at least $1499. Albeit, this is only in Battlefield V @ 1440p. However, this is just adds insult to Nvidia's injury, and it something I've never heard of happening ever before. (If you if any instance where that happened, please let me know). Source: https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/graphics-gaming-benchmarks

image.thumb.png.562269c8b382f91f6910d63a45d9617d.png

Edit: Small correction. this happens to also be the case for Forza Horizon 4.

image.thumb.png.ea81d1f51646ce2b6966636b6fcc9d3a.png

Edited by TheLaggard
Small correction. this happens to also be the case for Forza Horizon 4.

OK this give me a great segway into this thing and another reason why I don't want to buy a RX6000 series . the marketing you are seeing here is complete BS due to their rage mode. They claim that their overclocked gpu are faster then stock NV GPUs. Its going to lead to more sales. Imagine if Nvidia could put a pentium to a 6900 and claim that their overclock 3090sil with an 10900k is better. AMD needs to be held accountable towards this marketing.

2 minutes ago, Doubble said:

marketing

They will not be held accountable, only will find out in forums like this.

Just now, Orange1 said:

only will find out in forums like this.

the companys need to agree to test with a 3rd party who has nothing to gain from the cards selling well.

5 minutes ago, Doubble said:

OK this give me a great segway into this thing and another reason why I don't want to buy a RX6000 series . the marketing you are seeing here is complete BS due to their rage mode. They claim that their overclocked gpu are faster then stock NV GPUs. Its going to lead to more sales. Imagine if Nvidia could put a pentium to a 6900 and claim that their overclock 3090sil with an 10900k is better. AMD needs to be held accountable towards this marketing.

At least AMD is being honest with their set ups and all that. Much more transparency on AMD's part. Not "Up to 200% performance increase" 

CPU I9-9900k, Motherboard GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000mhz (2x16), GPU ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, Case Geeek A60 Plus, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR RM650x, Cooling Asus ROG RYUO 240, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic and Headphones

Just now, Doubble said:

the companys need to agree to test with a 3rd party who has nothing to gain from the cards selling well.

Will not happen. To much money on the line.

Just now, Voluspa said:

At least AMD is being honest with their set ups

still when we assume that the cards are stock mostly because pre builts dominate the market and uneducated gamers see a 15% increase in speed to another card so they buy that one.

this is like the absolute best case scenario lmao; 1440p so ampere is bottlenecked by about 10%, rage mode which is just an automatic overclock afaik, and battlefield 5 is super favorable for amd (doesnt a 5700xt match a 2080ti in that game? dunno about FH4). plus its not independent benchmarks so we can assume its still rather optimistic anyways.

that being said, i do like knowing the potential of these cards, ampere's overclocking headroom is laughable but amd having lots of performance past whats available stock is nice. i think its safe to say that many enthusiasts overclock their cards, myself included, so hopefully independent reviews will look into OCed performance on these cards a little more closely than usual. 

certainly bs marketing lol, but at least they're somewhat transparent regarding the setups

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

12 minutes ago, TheLaggard said:

Oh, okay. I'll take that with a huge pinch of salt.

I checked all the games and resolutions and it seems to only be in Forza Horizon 4 and Battlefield V at 1440p, with the RTX3090 and often the RTX3080 beating them in other games and at 4k. I wonder if there's something special going on with those games that attributes to such a huge performance boost for the AMD cards.

I would wait for proper independent reviews. Though if these figures are even close to reality then it seems that AMD is on to a winner with their RDNA2 cards.

Just wait for the tech reviewers to get the cards and do their reviews.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just a friendly reminder to wait for third party reviews. The company making the product, in this case AMD but this applies to Nvidia and Intel as well, will pick the games and settings that show their product in the best case scenario when comparing to the competition. I'm not saying they shouldn't do this, what company in their right mind isn't going to try to make their product look better, we just need to wait for third party reviews to see if this kind of performance difference is just an exception in these games and settings, or if it will be similar in other games and settings. 

still when we assume that the cards are stock mostly because pre builts dominate the market and uneducated gamers see a 15% increase in speed to another card so they buy that one.

Mind clarifying? I'm not following that with how it's written.

CPU I9-9900k, Motherboard GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000mhz (2x16), GPU ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, Case Geeek A60 Plus, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR RM650x, Cooling Asus ROG RYUO 240, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic and Headphones

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

the issue is most people become stuck to a graphic cards when they see the chart the company gives.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Oh, okay. I'll take that with a huge pinch of salt.

I checked all the games and resolutions and it seems to only be in Forza Horizon 4 and Battlefield V at 1440p, with the RTX3090 and often the RTX3080 beating them in other games and at 4k. I wonder if there's something special going on with those games that attributes to such a huge performance boost for the AMD cards.

I would wait for proper independent reviews. Though if these figures are even close to reality then it seems that AMD is on to a winner with their RDNA2 cards.

Looking at their listed hardware, that's with RAGE mode on. "System BIOS RQ21082B - AMD Smart Access Memory enabled." For sure wait for independent reviewers. It'll be interesting to see without RAGE mode. I for sure think it'll be fun to watch as long as they don't mess up the launch of both 5xxx and 6xxx. Either way, at the price points they're shooting for they're looking pretty competitive.

6 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Mind clarifying? I'm not following that with how it's written.

it means that the prebuilt gamer is going to pug it in and never worry about it again

1 minute ago, Doubble said:

it means that the prebuilt gamer is going to pug it in and never worry about it again

I mean, I don't buy prebuilts and that's exactly what I want out of my computer..

No it doesn't, I'm not saying it can't or won't beat the 3090

However graphs are meaningless, In-game benchmarks all the rest is marketing.

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

I mean, I don't buy prebuilts and that's exactly what I want out of my computer..

if you don't want to touch the inside of your pc overclocking isn't for you and the 3000 series provide better stock performance

i could be way out of line here, I have the 3080 on a 1440p 144Hz monitor cos I want as much FPS on the most demanding games, I understand that I could always get a 3070 for £200 cheapoer and it will do, but I want the 3080 to latst more than 1 GPU build.

Ok so now that you know how I want my GPU to do and my expected life span, not evey one that buys a PC will be like myself or you, not all the people that watch youtube will understand, we need to take things with a pinch of salt, they will in the UK listen to Currys, and based of the benchmarks from Nvidia, and AMD it does seem AMD are on top, just of there own benchmakes, and not everyone will know to take this with a pinch of salt, like I said I am on a 1440p monitor and a 3080, I have been laughted at for that combo. no matter how much we may see different

if you don't want to touch the inside of your pc overclocking isn't for you and the 3000 series provide better stock performance

Exactly. I don't overclock. As far as the second half of that, you've gotten a hold of a 5xxx and 6xxx to test real world? 

33 minutes ago, TheLaggard said:

only in Battlefield V

wow. this is worthless

1 minute ago, KRFoggy said:

i could be way out of line here, I have the 3080 on a 1440p 144Hz monitor cos I want as much FPS on the most demanding games, I understand that I could always get a 3070 for £200 cheapoer and it will do, but I want the 3080 to latst more than 1 GPU build.

Ok so now that you know how I want my GPU to do and my expected life span, not evey one that buys a PC will be like myself or you, not all the people that watch youtube will understand we need to take things with a pinch of salt, they will in the UK listen to Currys, and listen to them, and based of the benchmarks from Nvidia, and AMD it does seem AMD are on top, just of there own benchmakes, and not everyone will know to take this with a pinch of salt, like I said I am on a 1440p monitor and a 3080, I have been laughted at for that combo. no matter how much we may see different

same thing with the 5000 seriers. if willow cove beats a zen 2 core by 28% according to intel and a zen 3 beats a comet lake by 16% and zen 2 and comet lake are similarly matched. Im going to bet rocket lake and the willow cores will beat AMD

4 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

you've gotten a hold of a 5xxx and 6xxx to test real world? 

i havn't but NV has more room for ai solutions like DLSS. and a amd said they were the same stock so take each test and add a mirgin of error(greed)

12 minutes ago, Doubble said:

i havn't but NV has more room for ai solutions like DLSS. and a amd said they were the same stock so take each test and add a mirgin of error(greed)

Wait till reviews and real world use comes out to make your decision is all I'm saying. Like you said, there's a lot of people that wont want to OC. If the new AMD platform as a whole works like it's supposed to, at less than a 3090 and Intel, what's wrong with that? Even if it's not quite what AMD is saying in their graphs, and reasonably close I think a lot of people will be going that way with a refresh. Most people are going to want simplicity, not potential complicated messes. I think that's the hidden "gatcha" in all this AMD stuff. Even if they aren't as competitive as they are saying they're still going to throw a wrench in Intel and Nvidia's plans. Which with how open they are about how they get to the benchmark numbers, I don't see them fudging the numbers too much. That leaves it way to open for issues down the road. "You said with this exact set up I could get xxxx FPS. It doesn't." That's also not good for marketing. Indirectly, they're holding themselves more liable for their numbers and not just saying "Up to 200x performance....in this one game"

stuff like rage and SAM are more reasons we need to wait for 3rd party reviews. Right now my hope is that the 6800xt and 6900xt beats the 3080 and 3090 all max oc, on zen 3, i'm willing to give up gsync and dlss if that's the case for a 6900xt.

9900k 1.36v max 1.3v avx 5.2ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

57 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

rage mode which is just an automatic overclock

Rage mode basicly is just a user profile which boosts the performace by about 1-2% by adjusting the boosting of the card and the fan curve. That shouldn't influence the scores much.