Will AMD 5000 series work on X570 and B550 without Bios Update?

Ok so I'm running a crappy old FX processor. I'm REALLY hoping to get one of the new AMD processors, but I wanted to know if they need a bios update before I could drop in the new CPU and boot up.

I don't have an earlier version of Ryzen to use to boot it up for bios updating, so was hoping to know before I ended up buying everything. Would hate to get it all together only to find out after.

Also figure might be good to just buy the mobo and such now and just wait for the CPU.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure it will. But couldn't you just use the FX processor to update the BIOS?

EDIT: Some MoBo needs a BIOS update, which should be out now iirc, so you could just do it now.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

Just now, SlashedM said:

Pretty sure it will. But couldn't you just use the FX processor to update the BIOS?

FX processor is AM3+ socket, not AM4. I thought that wasn't compatible?

2 minutes ago, The_Murdoch said:

FX processor is AM3+ socket, not AM4. I thought that wasn't compatible?

Oh right, Im so stupid. But yeah most Mobo don't require a bios updates, and the lowest required BIOS version is already out for most boards, so I wouldn't be surprised if your board already has 5000 series compatibility.

Just now, SlashedM said:

Oh right, Im so stupid. But yeah most Mobo don't require a bios update.

But things like B450 mobos needed an update for 3000 series cpus when they came out... why wouldn't some CPUs need and update when 5000 series come out...

1 minute ago, The_Murdoch said:

But things like B450 mobos needed an update for 3000 series cpus when they came out... why wouldn't some CPUs need and update when 5000 series come out...

I don't remember if B450 had updates out before the release. Worst case scenario, Im pretty sure you can request a loaner CPU from AMD, or go to a Best Buy or such and ask if they can perform a bios update.

Probably won't. Unless you buy a board after all resellers restock boards with the new bios'

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Probably won't be, no. Unless you buy a board after all resellers restock boards with the new bios'

Thank you. 
Is this the first time AMD will release a CPU that has zero boards that work automatically on release?

As above, just buy one with bios flashback and then there is no issue. 

Yah Bios Flashback is certainly an option. But that seems like a pretty big hurdle for a new CPU. Like very reasonable for a bios update for older things, but a CPU to release with zero automatically ready mobos is.. idk I can't recall it ever being done before. Like, in the history of ever...intel or amd...

1 minute ago, _Omega_ said:

i am sure there will be some "5gen ready" b550 and x570 boards

Yah, but those will take a while to get to if they are the same of already released boards. Took a while before the B450s that you bought were 3000 series compatible. Cause I can't imagine places like Newegg sending out the "5gen ready" mobos out when they still have a stack of the older ones on the shelves.

2 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

i am sure there will be some "5gen ready" b550 and x570 boards

Yeah Asus have three new (Refresh) boards. I am sure the likes of MSI, Gigabyte and ASRock will do the same.

https://thepcenthusiast.com/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero-announced/#:~:text=Strix B550-XE-,Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Announced – Together with a,Pro and Strix B550-XE&text=Share this%3A,be available starting November 5.

1 minute ago, The_Murdoch said:

Yah, but those will take a while to get to if they are the same of already released boards. Took a while before the B450s that you bought were 3000 series compatible. Cause I can't imagine places like Newegg sending out the "5gen ready" mobos out when they still have a stack of the older ones on the shelves.

Asus already released one.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-pro/p/N82E16813119353?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-ThePCEnthusiast&AFFID=3198395&AFFNAME=ThePCEnthusiast&ACRID=1&ASUBID=&ASID=&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=3198395&ranSiteID=BQBBZsI5Ifw-wm4w5dH.URPHMOXqmuKYyw

Just now, lee32uk said:

That's 3rd gen ready... not 5000 series which is 4th gen.

But the article you linked is good. Shame all 3 are ATX and there are no mini-itx or Micro-atx mobos announced.

4 minutes ago, The_Murdoch said:

That's 3rd gen ready... not 5000 series which is 4th gen.

But the article you linked is good. Shame all 3 are ATX and there are no mini-itx or Micro-atx mobos announced.

No it is Ryzen 5000 ready. 

1777983347_cpusupport.thumb.jpg.3b0df70ee40ce0d39d0827132e5e6990.jpg

bios.jpg

Just now, lee32uk said:

No it is Ryzen 5000 ready. 

1777983347_cpusupport.thumb.jpg.3b0df70ee40ce0d39d0827132e5e6990.jpg

bios.jpg

Yes, with an update. But they aren't selling it with the update implemented already. That's what I'm getting at.

Just now, The_Murdoch said:

Yes, with an update. But they aren't selling it with the update implemented already. That's what I'm getting at.

Huh ? The initial (First release) Bios version is 0314. That supports the Ryzen 5000 cpu. Not sure how else I can explain it.

3 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Huh ? The initial (First release) Bios version is 0314. That supports the Ryzen 5000 cpu. Not sure how else I can explain it.

Ok, my bad. I didn't understand your images properly. Sorry about that.

Ok now I gotta hope they do a refresh itx board then. Or just get one with flashback.