Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best way to clone drive to another

Go to solution Solved by dhannemon13,
6 hours ago, smiles rising said:

i cloned the drive and i tried to boot from it but it just keeps chrashing at startup.. Any idea why? I can find the drive in the BIOS but as soon as i chose it as an option it crashes. And if i have the NVME installed at the same time as the original SSD nothing works..

Perhaps probably you didn't clone the hidden partitions (in the case below, the ESP one) as well?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7f1afc89e3dd257129a815030a5fc264.png

Perhaps the only what I can figure to fix that efficiently is just reinstall Windows, unfortunately. 

Hello! 

I recently purchased a new nvme drive that i would like to use for my os and other files. I currently have an 240gb ssd that i would like to transfer everything from. I dont wan't to deal with adding all the programs again and all files, settings and more.What is the best way to make an exakt copy of my current drive to the new nvme so that i dont have to deal with any issues..

CPU: i7-6700k I GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X I RAM: 16GB RAM I MB: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON I SSD & HDD: 240GB KINGSTON SSD I TOSHIBA 2TB HDD I PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750W I

Clone it using some kind of 3rd party software (personally used Macrium Reflect), don't forget to extend the partition you'd want, and, done.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers:

Acer Aspire E5-475G

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz (Turbo 3.1 GHz) || NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB

4GB Micron DDR4 + 4GB Team Group DDR4 PC19200

120 GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD + 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3N SATA SSD

Windows 10 Single Language x64

Some old computer laying around as my HTPC

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz || (fake lol) NVIDIA GeForce GT730 2GB DDR3

Some random old motherboard. Works fine tho.

512 MB + 512 MB random DDR memory

40GB IDE HDD + 1 TB old laptop SATA HDD, got bad sector unfortunately

Linux Mint 20 Ulyana Xfce x64

Some old TCL CRT TV laying around + RCA to HDMI converter

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage 

64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage

MIUI 11 Global

Aukey Turbo Charger PA-U28 QC2.0 + Aukey CB-CD4 PVC Type-C Cable

Audio

Some random home-theater speakers I took freely from someplace and big-ass bass with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho.

dbE DJ100 Headphone

My personal preference is Acronis True Image but that comes at a cost. Some nvme drives (Samsung and WD for example) come with their own uitlities for this exact job and that is free.

2 hours ago, dhannemon13 said:

Clone it using some kind of 3rd party software (personally used Macrium Reflect), don't forget to extend the partition you'd want, and, done.

2 hours ago, BillDoor said:

My personal preference is Acronis True Image but that comes at a cost. Some nvme drives (Samsung and WD for example) come with their own uitlities for this exact job and that is free.

i cloned the drive and i tried to boot from it but it just keeps chrashing at startup.. Any idea why? I can find the drive in the BIOS but as soon as i chose it as an option it crashes. And if i have the NVME installed at the same time as the original SSD nothing works..

CPU: i7-6700k I GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X I RAM: 16GB RAM I MB: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON I SSD & HDD: 240GB KINGSTON SSD I TOSHIBA 2TB HDD I PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750W I

6 hours ago, smiles rising said:

Perhaps probably you didn't clone the hidden partitions (in the case below, the ESP one) as well?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7f1afc89e3dd257129a815030a5fc264.png

Perhaps the only what I can figure to fix that efficiently is just reinstall Windows, unfortunately. 

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers:

Acer Aspire E5-475G

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5 GHz (Turbo 3.1 GHz) || NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 2GB

4GB Micron DDR4 + 4GB Team Group DDR4 PC19200

120 GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD + 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3N SATA SSD

Windows 10 Single Language x64

Some old computer laying around as my HTPC

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8GHz || (fake lol) NVIDIA GeForce GT730 2GB DDR3

Some random old motherboard. Works fine tho.

512 MB + 512 MB random DDR memory

40GB IDE HDD + 1 TB old laptop SATA HDD, got bad sector unfortunately

Linux Mint 20 Ulyana Xfce x64

Some old TCL CRT TV laying around + RCA to HDMI converter

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

4GB RAM, 64GB Internal Storage 

64GB SanDisk Ultra (80MB/s Read) External Storage

MIUI 11 Global

Aukey Turbo Charger PA-U28 QC2.0 + Aukey CB-CD4 PVC Type-C Cable

Audio

Some random home-theater speakers I took freely from someplace and big-ass bass with old computer speaker amplifier. It sounds good af tho.

dbE DJ100 Headphone