Pop noise when installing new CPU

svrhub

single POP roughly where the power on button is and now nothing, reseated everything how screwed am i?

You not giving us much to go on bud. Maybe somebody just threw some fireworks close to you...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

You not giving us much to go on bud. Maybe somebody just threw some fireworks close to you...

so i plug the power on and other stuff in wrong spot. it just turned on now to redoo cooler and check iw as looking at capacitors

3 minutes ago, svrhub said:

so i plug the power on and other stuff in wrong spot. it just turned on now to redoo cooler and check iw as looking at capacitors

Still not really following you.

You had cables plugged in incorrectly.  PSU was on when swapping out CPU?  PC fired up in the process, followed by a "pop" noise.  Now it doesn't POST at all?

Yeah.. you probably fried stuff.

You don't even say what hardware you have and your post is almost unreadable.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Still not really following you.

You had cables plugged in incorrectly.  PSU was on when swapping out CPU?  PC fired up in the process, followed by a "pop" noise.  Now it doesn't POST at all?

Yeah.. you probably fried stuff.

it was off i put the power button cables idk the correct term ther tiny pin ones that connect the case's on button to the MOBO incorrectly and it poped, in prosseces of putting cooler back on and crossing fingers

2 minutes ago, svrhub said:

it was off i put the power button cables idk the correct term ther tiny pin ones that connect the case's on button to the MOBO incorrectly and it poped, in prosseces of putting cooler back on and crossing fingers

Those are the front panel connectors.
There is some input as in buttons but also some outputs as in HDD and power leds maybe even a little tone generator/speaker.

It would depend on the motherboard if it can survive anything like shorting it, or incorrect connection.

But hearing a real POP is usually the end.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, svrhub said:

Ok...  Not sure why it's so hard to tell a story with a beginning, middle and end.  

The "tiny pin connector" is the power button connection from the case to the motherboard.   There's no power there.  Nothing should "pop".

So, you're saying you had the cooler off the CPU, you plugged in that connection and heard a pop noise.  Was the power supply actually in the "on" position at this time?

20 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Those are the front panel connectors.
There is some input as in buttons but also some outputs as in HDD and power leds maybe even a little tone generator/speaker.

It would depend on the motherboard if it can survive anything like shorting it, or incorrect connection.

But hearing a real POP is usually the end.

well it turned on, i upgraded form a i56400 to a i76700k, and the heat difference is insane

24 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You don't even say what hardware you have and your post is almost unreadable.

sorry panicking and i dont know what to call the front pannel connectors nor really know what happened

3 minutes ago, svrhub said:

sorry panicking and i dont know what to call the front pannel connectors nor really know what happened

Please, for your sake and everyone trying to help. Deep breaths. Now. Deep breaths.

What they're trying to get from you is just, what happened when this started? You were plugging in and unplugging things. Was the PSU off or unplugged or was it plugged in and on? Just describe what you were doing. "I was unplugging the CPU cooler and forgot to turn the PSU off" or something like that.

Also, listing your hardware would really help people. Something simple like this.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.5cd4ca91eb33da77aa3d9c13c2a29b8f.PNG

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

56 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Please, for your sake and everyone trying to help. Deep breaths. Now. Deep breaths.

What they're trying to get from you is just, what happened when this started? You were plugging in and unplugging things. Was the PSU off or unplugged or was it plugged in and on? Just describe what you were doing. "I was unplugging the CPU cooler and forgot to turn the PSU off" or something like that.

Also, listing your hardware would really help people. Something simple like this.

Reveal hidden contents

Capture.PNG.5cd4ca91eb33da77aa3d9c13c2a29b8f.PNG

computer is working now, i mismatched the front panel connectors and had a pop, but now im at 70C temps so i probably failed at the thermal paste.

happened when i plugged in and switched it on.

The NH-D14 didnt fist so its a really cheap 2 pipe garbage coolermaster.