RTX 3080 Stock situation in Belgium

Exeon

So I ordered an Asus TUF model over a month ago.

The price was right and I don't mind waiting for it.

Out of curiosity I called the seller (being one of the 2 official Nvidia retailers here)

They told me I'm around 290th in the waiting queue for that particular card, there are over 500 pending orders and they don't expect to clear that queue till February.

I hope with the AMD supply the demand for Nvidia drops, the current situation isn't looking great here.

5 minutes ago, Exeon said:

I hope with the AMD supply the demand for Nvidia drops, the current situation isn't looking great here.

This line is the problem created for themselves. Everyone always wanted to buy nvidia cards even if amd was equal or better to them thus making amd the company that would only exist to release products to keep the other company (nividia) in check for prices and whatnot. This is one of the big reasons we saw the 2080ti going for a stupid amount of money and the 3090 is in the same boat. Because why would amd even care about the high end when nobody buys their stuff anyways?

This is all easily fixed by not caring about the brand and just buying the best card for you. The times where I recommended a rx480 8gb over a 1060 3gb and people still got the 1060 and are now returning with having issues in more demanding games due to vram limits is getting up there. Keep in mind they were both the same price and not by some unknown brand or something.

People need to just get the card that works best for them no matter the brand. I always do this with any product. My computer, appliances, whatever is just a mishmash of stuff and it all works wonderfully I'm not in some ecosystem and I get all the perks of whatever I want because I do not hold value to a single company I look at what I'm offered, the performance of the stuff and the value.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

This line is the problem created for themselves. Everyone always wanted to buy nvidia cards even if amd was equal or better to them thus making amd the company that would only exist to release products to keep the other company (nividia) in check for prices and whatnot. This is one of the big reasons we saw the 2080ti going for a stupid amount of money and the 3090 is in the same boat. Because why would amd even care about the high end when nobody buys their stuff anyways?

This is all easily fixed by not caring about the brand and just buying the best card for you. The times where I recommended a rx480 8gb over a 1060 3gb and people still got the 1060 and are now returning with having issues in more demanding games due to vram limits is getting up there. Keep in mind they were both the same price and not by some unknown brand or something.

People need to just get the card that works best for them no matter the brand. I always do this with any product. My computer, appliances, whatever is just a mishmash of stuff and it all works wonderfully I'm not in some ecosystem and I get all the perks of whatever I want because I do not hold value to a single company I look at what I'm offered, the performance of the stuff and the value.

Though I agree with the general idea I don't know how this applies to supply issues?

I understand why people have brand loyalty, if I can get a similar product for a similar price with a brand I have a good history with, what's the point of switching?

Past generations AMD wasn't really competing with the high end Nvidia (and by high end I mean the 80 series, not titan like cards)

There are other things apart from framerates, driver updates, stability and temperatures also matter, AMD doesn't exactly have a great track record on any of these things.

This generation I decided to switch AIB's I've been an EVGA customer for 10 years, Asus has been performing better, cooler and cheaper, didn't have any issue swapping this time around 

1 hour ago, Exeon said:

Though I agree with the general idea I don't know how this applies to supply issues?

I understand why people have brand loyalty, if I can get a similar product for a similar price with a brand I have a good history with, what's the point of switching?

Past generations AMD wasn't really competing with the high end Nvidia (and by high end I mean the 80 series, not titan like cards)

There are other things apart from framerates, driver updates, stability and temperatures also matter, AMD doesn't exactly have a great track record on any of these things.

This generation I decided to switch AIB's I've been an EVGA customer for 10 years, Asus has been performing better, cooler and cheaper, didn't have any issue swapping this time around 

I does have to do with it as Nvidia wants to stay in this position and clearly sees amd as a threat with their new cards thus rushing out a launch. That and amd is now again in the consoles with their new rdna architecture which is meant to go on a long run just like gcn.

Hence why nvidia made the 3070 have coverage in the news before during and directly after amd announced their cards to pull as much attention away.

It was basically known since the earliest of leaks about the console launch dates that amd would launch their new cards at around the same time as the new consoles would launch. So it's not a surprise nvidia rushed to the market with their cards just to be able to be first and take away as much sales as possible. I mean most people won't even get their card till next year. This has never happened before with a gpu launch. Sure the first month or so was usually a bit rough with stock but we are taking 3-4 months before the september orders would even be cleared and that is for the countries that even got them in the first place.

So I do fully believe that the lack of competition and people buying amd hardware is a big influence on the stock issues with Nvidia. They do not want to lose their market leadership at all and now that it seems that there is a good competitor again after years of mediocre to no competition in the high end they are doing everything to draw attention away. Which also means launching their products far far too soon before there is stock.

That and they probably took the underwhelming 2000 series launch sales as a baseline and well yeah those didn't sell well because you were paying as much money as a 1080ti for the same performance but with the only difference being raytracing :p. Which also was due to a lack of competition from amd and they knew the 5700xt would be the best for a while hence why we got the 1000+ gpu's in the first place that weren't titans.