FreeNAS SSD Pool slow iscsi performance

Afternoon all, 

Making good progress on my home server which is to run several VM's i.e. Gaming PC/VPN Sandbox PC/CCTV/FreeNAS/ etc

Today I've completed creating several Pools in FreeNAS. One of the Pools is x4 256GB Samsung SSD's striped for around a 800GB Pool. This pool is then setup for iscsi to my gaming VM. Was going to be used for Steam Games / Applications.

The FreeNas and Gaming Machine are both VM's on the same ESXi 6.7 Host.

Transfer speeds using DiskMark come back at only 300-350MB/sec? This x4 SSD Striped arrange when previoulsy setup using Windows Storage Spaces was easily 1.5GB/sec. What am I missing?

The FreeNAS VM has x4 vCPU's E5-2696 v4 and 32GB RAM 2400mhz DDR4

If I cant improve the performance I'll just revert back to passing the drives through and use Storage Spaces again. I previously had the drives formatted as ReFS and it turns out Oculus store requires a NTFS for some unknown reason.

I just also wanted the benefit of ZFS and to learn more about using iscsi

What kind of Networking devices are you using? Try running iPerf to see what theoretical throughput you get and narrow down the bottleneck. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

5 hours ago, FloRolf said:

What kind of Networking devices are you using? Try running iPerf to see what theoretical throughput you get and narrow down the bottleneck. 

Would it not all just be the stock VMware esxi virtual network adapters as they are both just VM's within ESXi?

Will I have to look at multipath and create several virtual NICs to improve the performance?

Also a correction about it wasn't using Storage Spaces that netted me 1.5Gb/s I was getting mixed up with a different pool. Those speeds were achieved via the motherboard onboard raid controller.

Ok to rule out network adapters etc, I took a different approach. I passed through the x4 SSD Drives through to the Gaming VM on a ESXi NVME Virtual Controller. Striped them using Windows Disk Manager and assigned a Drive "D:\" and got the speeds up to 790mb/sec still short of 1.5gb/sec

The NVME drive the Gaming VM runs (c:\) from has throughput of 3.5gb/sec so its not like the throughput cant be achieved within a VM.