Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

16 GB 4000 Hz C15 vs 32 GB 3600 Hz C16

Go to solution Solved by .Apex.,
9 minutes ago, darkguy2 said:

What about the slide that has been floating around seemingly from AMD saying 4000 MHz RAM will be the new sweet spot for the 5000 series? Assuming this is real would the 4000 kit be the better one to go with? I may buy both from Amazon and just return the kit I do not use. I think I am already past the diminishing returns point with my rig (5900X & 6900XT) so I am willing to pay more for a little more power.

I wouldn't trust a leaked slide, and I doubt there'd be a significant difference between 3600Mhz and 4000Mhz on Zen 3 (if at all) so if you're getting double the capacity with 3600Mhz sticks then I suggest you go that route instead, Zen 3 is going to be less sensitive to memory clocks and latency than Zen 2 was, but if you want to buy both to test them out and return one of them that's totally up to you.

Am planning to purchase a 5900X next week and am looking at what RAM to get for under $200. At the moment I am comparing between two G.Skill sets, 2x8 GB 4000 MHz (15-16-16-36) vs 2x16 GB 3600 MHz (16-19-19-39). I am not sure if it is better to go for the better latency or more RAM. I will mostly use the rig for gaming and plan to get a 6900XT in December. I play large space sims like Elite and Star Citizen as well as RPGs like CP2077. I am wondering if it is better to go with more RAM then the better timings. The mobo I have is the X570 Tomahawk.

I'd recommend 32GB of 3600 C16, games will start to use more and more ram and 4000 MHz C15 is pretty overkill

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz, MAG B550 Tomahawk, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, NZXT H510

If these are your only two options go for the 2x16GB kit.  There won't be a noticeable difference between CL15 and CL16 for gaming.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

What is wrong with 16GB or 32GB of 3200Mhz Memory instead?

Just now, Velcade said:

If these are your only two options go for the 2x16GB kit.  There won't be a noticeable difference between CL15 and CL16 for gaming.

I am not set on these two kits if someone can recommend another within my budget that is better. Also RGB is nice, but not necessary for me.

4 minutes ago, darkguy2 said:

I am not set on these two kits if someone can recommend another within my budget that is better. Also RGB is nice, but not necessary for me.

What CPU are you putting in that X570 board?  $200 is a healthy budget for RAM, you shouldn't have any issue finding RGB memory at that price point.

1 minute ago, Velcade said:

What CPU are you putting in that X570 board?  $200 is a healthy budget for RAM, you shouldn't have any issue finding RGB memory at that price point.

The new 5900X.

6 minutes ago, darkguy2 said:

The new 5900X.

I'm an idiot... I thought that was your GPU.  

46 minutes ago, darkguy2 said:

Am planning to purchase a 5900X next week and am looking at what RAM to get for under $200. At the moment I am comparing between two G.Skill sets, 2x8 GB 4000 Hz (15-16-16-36) vs 2x16 GB 3600 Hz (16-19-19-39). I am not sure if it is better to go for the better latency or more RAM. I will mostly use the rig for gaming and plan to get a 6900XT in December. I play large space sims like Elite and Star Citizen as well as RPGs like CP2077. I am wondering if it is better to go with more RAM then the better timings. The mobo I have is the X570 Tomahawk.

We don't know what the Infinity Fabric would clock up to on the new Ryzen CPUs and therefor if you bought 4000Mhz RAM and the IF couldn't clock up to 2000Mhz then it wouldn't be 1:1 scaling and you'd have lower performance compared to 3600Mhz RAM.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

2 hours ago, .Apex. said:

We don't know what the Infinity Fabric would clock up to on the new Ryzen CPUs and therefor if you bought 4000Mhz RAM and the IF couldn't clock up to 2000Mhz then it wouldn't be 1:1 scaling and you'd have lower performance compared to 3600Mhz RAM.

What about the slide that has been floating around seemingly from AMD saying 4000 MHz RAM will be the new sweet spot for the 5000 series? Assuming this is real would the 4000 kit be the better one to go with? I may buy both from Amazon and just return the kit I do not use. I think I am already past the diminishing returns point with my rig (5900X & 6900XT) so I am willing to pay more for a little more power.

9 minutes ago, darkguy2 said:

I wouldn't trust a leaked slide, and I doubt there'd be a significant difference between 3600Mhz and 4000Mhz on Zen 3 (if at all) so if you're getting double the capacity with 3600Mhz sticks then I suggest you go that route instead, Zen 3 is going to be less sensitive to memory clocks and latency than Zen 2 was, but if you want to buy both to test them out and return one of them that's totally up to you.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 hour ago, .Apex. said:

Thanks for the advice. I will buy the 32 GB 3600 kit and wait for embargoes to lift to see if it makes sense to return them and go for the 4000 kit instead.