2060 with an i5-4460 terrible idea?

Deezeldee

Hello guys, pairing an RTX 2060 with an i5-4460 with 12gb of ram, will it be a terrible idea? I currently have an 1050ti in the system, how bad the bottleneck will be with 2060

28 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

how bad the bottleneck will be with 2060

Depends on what games you play.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I honestly don't really know for now, hoping I can get my hands on CoD: Cold War and few others, to avoid bottleneck what proc. what you guys recommend? budget friendly

9 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

, to avoid bottleneck

anyway, you cant

pick your desired monitor resolution and hz first, then we can decide gpu

btw rtx2000 is now extreamly bad in value

15 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

I honestly don't really know for now, hoping I can get my hands on CoD: Cold War and few others, to avoid bottleneck what proc. what you guys recommend? budget friendly

That i5-4460 is pretty weak by today's standards. Like would lose to a modern $80-100 low end budget processor.

I'll very likely get push back on this but I always recommend at least 8C/16T CPU with a pass mark of at least 12,000 for gaming. If money is a big factor you don't need to go bleeding edge, Zen 2 or Intel 9th gen would be fine. You can get away with a 6C/12T right now but I dunno why you'd upgrade to the absolute minimum spec.

It won't matter as much for COD and on the rails shooters but will matter in some RTS and simulator games. There are games out right now that will bring an older 6C to its knees. I also expect that additional cores and threads will matter even more going into the future.

3 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

That i5-4460 is pretty weak by today's standards. Like would lose to a modern $80-100 low end budget processor.

I'll very likely get push back on this but I always recommend at least 8C/16T CPU with a pass mark of at least 12,000 for gaming. If money is a big factor you don't need to go bleeding edge, Zen 2 or Intel 9th gen would be fine. You can get away with a 6C/12T right now but I dunno why you'd upgrade to the absolute minimum spec.

It won't matter as much for COD and on the rails shooters but will matter in some RTS and simulator games. I also expect that additional cores and threads will matter going into the future.

I agree, things is that this is an old pc, and now with the few price reduction in this "black friday" period 2060 is decently priced in my area at the moment, and looking forward to buy a new proc. and more ram down the line since at the moment it's not possible, basically dealing with I buy in time thing since an upgrade is needed. 

6 minutes ago, SAVE12HK said:

anyway, you cant

pick your desired monitor resolution and hz first, then we can decide gpu

btw rtx2000 is now extreamly bad in value

1080p 60hz monitor ( will upgrade to 4k one day ) 

Just now, Deezeldee said:

I agree, things is that this is an old pc, and now with the few price reduction in this "black friday" period 2060 is decently priced in my area at the moment, and looking forward to buy a new proc. and more ram down the line since at the moment it's not possible, basically dealing with I buy in time thing since an upgrade is needed. 

If that is the case then buy the GPU on the basis of your planned future build. Your current one is going to really limit your options.

Yep, and as proc. a decent one to match ( in the close future ) which should it be? I am know little about procs. and stuff 

1 minute ago, Deezeldee said:

Yep, and as proc. a decent one to match ( in the close future ) which should it be? I am know little about procs. and stuff 

Depends, what do you typically do with you box and what kind of games do you play? Also most importantly how much do you want to spend?

6 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

3600 minimum. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

budget around 250 usd for the proc itself, as for games I will want to play some of the upcoming games like CoD: Cold War, CyberPunk and whatever decent game will come next year, basically my goal is to make my pc decent enough to run most of games in good-ish quality for 2-3 years from now...not necessarily full quality but to have somewhat of a mid pc 

At $250 USD for a CPU you'll be a bit limited.

Best you can probably do is a R9 3600XT (6C\12T), the i7-9700K & F (8C\8T) are going for just under $300 as well right now. Any of those can game.

ended up ordering the card since it's fairly priced at the moment, will pair it with AMD Ryzen 5 2600, after searching the www for it it seems to be a good option, what you guys think? it will be very nice as a cost for me