Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2060 with an i5-4460 terrible idea?

Hello guys, pairing an RTX 2060 with an i5-4460 with 12gb of ram, will it be a terrible idea? I currently have an 1050ti in the system, how bad the bottleneck will be with 2060

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

how bad the bottleneck will be with 2060

Depends on what games you play.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14-14-14-34 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe | macOS Big Sur

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly don't really know for now, hoping I can get my hands on CoD: Cold War and few others, to avoid bottleneck what proc. what you guys recommend? budget friendly

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

, to avoid bottleneck

anyway, you cant

pick your desired monitor resolution and hz first, then we can decide gpu

 

btw rtx2000 is now extreamly bad in value

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

I honestly don't really know for now, hoping I can get my hands on CoD: Cold War and few others, to avoid bottleneck what proc. what you guys recommend? budget friendly

That i5-4460 is pretty weak by today's standards. Like would lose to a modern $80-100 low end budget processor.

 

I'll very likely get push back on this but I always recommend at least 8C/16T CPU with a pass mark of at least 12,000 for gaming. If money is a big factor you don't need to go bleeding edge, Zen 2 or Intel 9th gen would be fine. You can get away with a 6C/12T right now but I dunno why you'd upgrade to the absolute minimum spec.

 

It won't matter as much for COD and on the rails shooters but will matter in some RTS and simulator games. There are games out right now that will bring an older 6C to its knees. I also expect that additional cores and threads will matter even more going into the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Loki0111 said:

That i5-4460 is pretty weak by today's standards. Like would lose to a modern $80-100 low end budget processor.

 

I'll very likely get push back on this but I always recommend at least 8C/16T CPU with a pass mark of at least 12,000 for gaming. If money is a big factor you don't need to go bleeding edge, Zen 2 or Intel 9th gen would be fine. You can get away with a 6C/12T right now but I dunno why you'd upgrade to the absolute minimum spec.

 

It won't matter as much for COD and on the rails shooters but will matter in some RTS and simulator games. I also expect that additional cores and threads will matter going into the future.

I agree, things is that this is an old pc, and now with the few price reduction in this "black friday" period 2060 is decently priced in my area at the moment, and looking forward to buy a new proc. and more ram down the line since at the moment it's not possible, basically dealing with I buy in time thing since an upgrade is needed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SAVE12HK said:

anyway, you cant

pick your desired monitor resolution and hz first, then we can decide gpu

 

btw rtx2000 is now extreamly bad in value

1080p 60hz monitor ( will upgrade to 4k one day ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deezeldee said:

I agree, things is that this is an old pc, and now with the few price reduction in this "black friday" period 2060 is decently priced in my area at the moment, and looking forward to buy a new proc. and more ram down the line since at the moment it's not possible, basically dealing with I buy in time thing since an upgrade is needed. 

If that is the case then buy the GPU on the basis of your planned future build. Your current one is going to really limit your options.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, and as proc. a decent one to match ( in the close future ) which should it be? I am know little about procs. and stuff 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deezeldee said:

Yep, and as proc. a decent one to match ( in the close future ) which should it be? I am know little about procs. and stuff 

Depends, what do you typically do with you box and what kind of games do you play? Also most importantly how much do you want to spend?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deezeldee said:

Yep, and as proc. a decent one to match ( in the close future ) which should it be? I am know little about procs. and stuff 

3600 minimum. 

RYZEN 5 3600 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

budget around 250 usd for the proc itself, as for games I will want to play some of the upcoming games like CoD: Cold War, CyberPunk and whatever decent game will come next year, basically my goal is to make my pc decent enough to run most of games in good-ish quality for 2-3 years from now...not necessarily full quality but to have somewhat of a mid pc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At $250 USD for a CPU you'll be a bit limited.

 

Best you can probably do is a R9 3600XT (6C\12T), the i7-9700K & F (8C\8T) are going for just under $300 as well right now. Any of those can game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

ended up ordering the card since it's fairly priced at the moment, will pair it with AMD Ryzen 5 2600, after searching the www for it it seems to be a good option, what you guys think? it will be very nice as a cost for me

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×