PC randomly restarts under stress

explosivetnt
Go to solution Solved by explosivetnt,

I don't want to celebrate too soon, but it really seems like the powersupply really was the problem. I bought a barely used corsair hx1200i. You might ask why, because it's definitely an overkill, but it was a good deal and I'm planning on slowly upgrading the system. Anyway, the random crashes have seemingly stopped, even with the game, so that's cool.

Current parts list

Spoiler

Cpu i7 3770

cpu cooling some generic xilence tower cooler

gpu GTX 1070 armor OC @2063MHz

motherboard asrock z77 pro4

ram 2x4GB kingston hyperx ddr3 2400MHz c11

ssd kingston A400 240gb sata

hdd seagate barracuda 2TB

powersupply unbranded sl-700A (possibly made in 2013)

tp-link wifi adapter

PCI usb add-in card

case cooler master k350

It all started when I installed the used 1070 and tried out some modded Skyrim with this modlist 

Spoiler

11.PNG.75c695e5be6c0b2a4d4861a188a5b388.PNG12.PNG.3f36b3b053be5dc70afa56af4f533fa1.PNG

No matter what I tried: turning off mods, lowering the gpu oc, etc., a few candles could brign the gpu to it's knee and the subsequently the pc just turned off and restarted itself. After some while I just gave up on it and then the Corona hit and I started to put the 1070 to use with folding@home. But recently I have once again started to have the same problem while folding. My guess is that it's the power supply's fault, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I'm here to ask for some help.

8 minutes ago, explosivetnt said:

Current parts list

Reveal hidden contents

Cpu i7 3770

cpu cooling some generic xilence tower cooler

gpu GTX 1070 armor OC @2063MHz

motherboard asrock z77 pro4

ram 2x4GB kingston hyperx ddr3 2400MHz c11

ssd kingston A400 240gb sata

hdd seagate barracuda 2TB

powersupply unbranded sl-700A (possibly made in 2013)

tp-link wifi adapter

PCI usb add-in card

case cooler master k350

It all started when I installed the used 1070 and tried out some modded Skyrim with this modlist 

Reveal hidden contents

11.PNG.75c695e5be6c0b2a4d4861a188a5b388.PNG12.PNG.3f36b3b053be5dc70afa56af4f533fa1.PNG

No matter what I tried: turning off mods, lowering the gpu oc, etc., a few candles could brign the gpu to it's knee and the subsequently the pc just turned off and restarted itself. After some while I just gave up on it and then the Corona hit and I started to put the 1070 to use with folding@home. But recently I have once again started to have the same problem while folding. My guess is that it's the power supply's fault, but I wasn't 100% sure, so I'm here to ask for some help.

My bet is that the 1070 was being used heavily for mining in a past life. I would start by replacing the thermal pate (and possibly thermal pads too) on the graphics card.  

23 minutes ago, explosivetnt said:

My guess is that it's the power supply's fault

I'd start there...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

My bet is that the 1070 was being used heavily for mining in a past life. I would start by replacing the thermal pate (and possibly thermal pads too) on the graphics card.  

Well, I already did that a week after I got it, plus it didn't do the same even under extended stresstesting with furmark, nor did I see any visual artefacts while testing with 3dmark, superposition and cinebench.

If you want a stability test use GPUPI 3.3.3,Press Calculate then use the following settings:

32B HWbot GPU

choose your GPU in OpenCL GPU devices

Batch size: 20M

Reduction size: 512

Then press OK to start.

(Press cancel if a message about HPET appears)

GPUPI 3.3.3 download page:

https://www.overclockers.at/news/gpupi-international-support-thread

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 10/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, Vishera said:

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

This is what happens whenever I tru to use the opencl vertion

13.PNG.0d9bd82bf394160205beda1161e57e35.PNG

But whenever I use the cuda everything is fine

14.PNG.e607591faa51799d9b1c1fab8444e855.PNG

I don't want to celebrate too soon, but it really seems like the powersupply really was the problem. I bought a barely used corsair hx1200i. You might ask why, because it's definitely an overkill, but it was a good deal and I'm planning on slowly upgrading the system. Anyway, the random crashes have seemingly stopped, even with the game, so that's cool.

On 11/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, explosivetnt said:

Also from the results of GPUPI the GPU looks healthy,and power supply issues can indeed cause that problem.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Also from the results of GPUPI the GPU looks healthy,and power supply issues can indeed cause that problem.

But what about the crash in case of using opencl for the pi calculation?

Just now, explosivetnt said:

But what about the crash in case of using opencl for the pi calculation?

Does it still occur?

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Does it still occur?

Yup.. It crashes during the kernel compiling phase

Just now, explosivetnt said:

Yup.. It crashes during the kernel compiling phase

It could be a software issue with the OpenCL API,some files probably got corrupted or something like that.

You can test that with a portable Windows 10 install on USB like Hiren's BootCD PE:

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You can test that with a portable Windows 10 install on USB like Hiren's BootCD PE:

I'll do that, just some time later