Can I overclock a ryzen 3 3200g to 4ghz with stock cooler and will it make a difference?

As I said before on your last-one topic, you 'can' (not should) overclock it when it's needed. As long as it doesn't touch too high temps, it would be fine somehow, and you got a good airflow inside your case.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

The issue with the 3200g is it isn’t ryzen2, it’s ryzen+.  The number system implies it’s between a 3100 and a 3300 but it isn’t.  It’s a 2400 with a gpu.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Try it and find out.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The issue with the 3200g is it isn’t ryzen2, it’s ryzen+ 

well zen+ cpus can also overclock pretty good

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The issue with the 3200g is it isn’t ryzen2, it’s ryzen+ 

Heck, still an overclockable AMD anyway lol

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

well zen+ cpus can also overclock pretty good

Better than zen2, but they have issues with things like memory and other stuff.  A really good overclock on zen+ only gets one to nearly zen2 stock speeds.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

As I said before on your last-one topic, you 'can' (not should) overclock it when it's needed. As long as it doesn't touch too high temps, it would be fine somehow, and you got a good airflow inside your case.

I do NOT have good airflow 😂 I just have one intake fan 

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Better than zen2, but they have issues with things like memory and other stuff.  A really good overclock on zen+ only gets one to nearly zen2 stock speeds.

well they are much better as people make them to be they aren't as bad as intel's 6th and 7th gen 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, Meandmycharacter said:

Wouldn't even to risk it, then. At least 1:1 intake-exhaust is the ideal one, afaik. The hot air can potentially accumulate inside the case if it don't have enough exhaust somehow.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

Just now, dhannemon13 said:

Wouldn't even to risk it, then. At least 1:1 intake-exhaust is the ideal one, afaik. The hot air can potentially accumulate inside the case if it don't have enough exhaust somehow.

I don't have a exhaust fan but I do have a lot of holes in my case 😂 that works like exhaust 

4 minutes ago, Meandmycharacter said:

$6 could fix that.  Sleeve bearing fans work fine as long as you keep them in the right orientation. 

1 minute ago, Meandmycharacter said:

I don't have a exhaust fan but I do have a lot of holes in my case 😂 that works like exhaust 

Not enough pull for the hot air inside, somehow.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

do you have a dedicated gpu or are you using the integrated gpu? if you're using the integrated one and are mainly concerned with gaminig performance, you should try to overclock the igpu and the ram. that should give more performance than just overclocking the cpu.

4 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Not enough pull for the hot air inside, somehow.

A way to think about it is the difference between blowing through a tube and blowing into a bag with holes in it.  We’ve only seen one schleerin(sp?) photography piece out of gamersnexus but there’s a whole lot of cool things he can do with that mirror if he gets the time. 

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As someone who run an overclocked Zen+ CPU as a daily driver i will share my experience:

Zen+ indeed has issues with memory,my 3466MHz CL16 kit is on the fence with the memory controller of my CPU.

It's very stable but if my PC shutdown unexpectedly my PC will refuse to boot and will disable XMP and then will boot fine.

Then i have to enable XMP again and it will boot normally,when you are on the fence it's a bit finicky.

If i would have gone with a 3600MHz kit my PC would have refused to boot with XMP enabled no matter what i do.

With 3466MHz i can at least boot with XMP (in some edge cases it's a bit problematic but nothing serious)

When it comes to CPU overclocking,4.1GHz is almost impossible without extreme cooling (unless you get a really good silicon)..

And not to mention that non X CPUs don't support XFR or any other form of PBO.

Disclaimer: 3466MHz may not work for you,It depends on the silicon quality of your CPU.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I had that CPU and oc to 3.85, strangely it was easier to oc with the igpu on than with the igpu off.

I can't really say overclocking did much either way performance changed from 'weak' to 'still weak'... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Also note that there are separate default PB limits for 105W and 65W TDP processors. When we installed a 3600 in our MSI Godlike, we got the 65W numbers; when we installed a 3900X, we got the 105W numbers. This means that the advantages PBO offers are subjective depending on the motherboard model, the processor model, the SPECIFIC processor, the cooling solution, the temperature of the room, and the alignment of the planets.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

wtf.gif.2b0b4af09e2594bb0e6fe447c45dbb7d.gif.aee557728c3301a0ba9dfc4c4d0a4ee7.gif

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:
2 hours ago, Vishera said:

Also note that there are separate default PB limits for 105W and 65W TDP processors. When we installed a 3600 in our MSI Godlike, we got the 65W numbers; when we installed a 3900X, we got the 105W numbers. This means that the advantages PBO offers are subjective depending on the motherboard model, the processor model, the SPECIFIC processor, the cooling solution, the temperature of the room, and the alignment of the planets.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3491-explaining-precision-boost-overdrive-benchmarks-auto-oc

Spoiler

wtf.gif.2b0b4af09e2594bb0e6fe447c45dbb7d.gif.aee557728c3301a0ba9dfc4c4d0a4ee7.gif

What i said doesn't apply to Zen 2.

Zen+

2600,2700 and other non X CPUs don't support XFR/PBO

2600X,2700X and other X CPUs support XFR/PBO

Zen 2

Everything supports PBO

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

What i said doesn't apply to Zen 2.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification, guess I missed that part. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification, guess I missed that part. 

Also XFR is an early version of PBO