Aliexpress AMD A9-9820

PED234

Hi everyone I bought one of the oddball AMD A9-9820 cpu/motherboard combo from Ali-express, I got it today (shipping was quick for this took <2 weeks to get here)

I'm using 4 x 2gb ddr3 1333mhz Kingston ram and a WD 10k 250GB VelociRaptor drive, MS Windows 10 Home 2004 update

the only issue I have with it is trying to find a working graphics driver for MS Windows 

CPU is reporting as a K16 model, base clock 2.35 ghz 8 core, AVX instruction set (no AVX2 support) 

a9-9820.jpg

a9-9820-2.png

IMG_20201029_185105.jpg

yes, but I've tried the following driver packages with no success

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1

Catalyst Software Suit 15.7.1 WHQL

Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta: Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

as well as the "Auto-Detect and Install" tool from AMD 

Microsoft Windows update does not have a valid driver for the GPU

Two questions:

1. How did you get an unreleased CPU? AMD has nothing on the A9-9820.

2. Unless that socket isn't AM4, how are you using DDR3?

elephants

10 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Two questions:

1. Aliexpress there is a reseller is selling the motherboard (search on aliexpress a9-9820) 

2. the CPU is soldered to the motherboard. 

12 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Two questions:

Isn't this basically the SoC that is used in the Xbox One X? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I am dying to know more about this board because I think it would be perfect to shove in a 1u case and replace my old laptop with 16-32gb of ram.

Can you try booting it up with Ubuntu to see if it can get a working graphics driver?

Is the GPU memory just shared with the system memory like usual with an API? Is this adjustable in the bios?

How good is the bios? Legible? Engrish? Useless?

I am looking at picking one of these up next week and am really interested in how it stacks up.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:41 PM, PED234 said:

yes, but I've tried the following driver packages with no success

Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1

Catalyst Software Suit 15.7.1 WHQL

Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta: Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

as well as the "Auto-Detect and Install" tool from AMD 

Microsoft Windows update does not have a valid driver for the GPU

I've had this happen with some somewhat old AMD cards, one thing you could try is :

- Start up the Adrenalin driver downloaded from the AMD website

- Extract it as it asks (by default to C:\AMD\) but don't start it once it is done

- Go to Device Manager on Windows

- Right click on the basic display adapter -> Update Driver

- Click on Browse my computer for driver software

- Browse to where Adrenalin was extracted previously (C:\AMD\) by default, keep subfolders included

From there you might be able to let Windows figure out what driver goes for it.

If it is successful, and doesn't show up as a Basic Display Adapter anymore, you might just be able to install Adrenalin "normally".

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 4:09 AM, Canuckfire said:

I am dying to know more about this board because I think it would be perfect to shove in a 1u case and replace my old laptop with 16-32gb of ram.

Can you try booting it up with Ubuntu to see if it can get a working graphics driver?

Is the GPU memory just shared with the system memory like usual with an API? Is this adjustable in the bios?

How good is the bios? Legible? Engrish? Useless?

I am looking at picking one of these up next week and am really interested in how it stacks up.

Hello yes I have tried Ubuntu, Opensuse and CentOS, it does have hardware accelerated GPU driver (from glxinfo direct rendering: yes) 

Bios is actually in English and is readable, no options in the BIOS to adjust amount of ram dedicated to the GPU, I haven't tried to tinker with the amount of system memory dedicated to the GPU

Hi. I bought this motherboard with A9-9820 on Ali too. Tried to install AMD drivers on windows, but results same as yours.
Then I spent a whole day trying to make drivers work on Ubuntu 18.04, I downloaded proprietary `amdgpu` drivers, installed them, but they just not running. Updating to latest kernel (5.10) didn't help.

By the way, I doubt there is hardware accelerated GPU driver by default for this processor.
glxinfo -B shows me Accelerated: no and Device: llvmpipe, which as I understand is just a CPU emulation without any GPU assistance. ( https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gallium3d_llvmpipe)
I ran Minecraft as a little benchmark to see how much I would get - 5fps on minimal settings, not fullscreen even.

Also, there are settings in BIOS that helps you configure the amount of memory allocation for the GPU, and it works, but whats the point if the GPU itself doesn't work.

1 hour ago, clm4d said:

Hi. I bought this motherboard with A9-9820 on Ali too. Tried to install AMD drivers on windows, but results same as yours.
Then I spent a whole day trying to make drivers work on Ubuntu 18.04, I downloaded proprietary `amdgpu` drivers, installed them, but they just not running. Updating to latest kernel (5.10) didn't help.

By the way, I doubt there is hardware accelerated GPU driver by default for this processor.
glxinfo -B shows me Accelerated: no and Device: llvmpipe, which as I understand is just a CPU emulation without any GPU assistance. ( https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gallium3d_llvmpipe)
I ran Minecraft as a little benchmark to see how much I would get - 5fps on minimal settings, not fullscreen even.

Also, there are settings in BIOS that helps you configure the amount of memory allocation for the GPU, and it works, but whats the point if the GPU itself doesn't work.

See this thread please.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 1:42 PM, computersin1987 said:

i have the graphics driver if you need it

hi, would you please send a driver to me?  (karzhou@hotmail.com)

thanks!