Can't boot into Windows 8.1 after installing Xubuntu

I tried to install Xubuntu on an ununsed, seperate partition on my laptop's hard drive. Upon installing Xubuntu, I can't boot back into Windows 8.1. Me being a complete noob at how to use Ubuntu and wanting to learn, how can I boot back into it? I really need help. The OS's are on different partitions of the same Hard Drive.

put the windows install disc back in and hit repair

I don't have one. This laptop never came with ANY recovery media such as a recovery disc.

I don't have one. This laptop never came with ANY recovery media such as a recovery disc.

then download it, you wont need to install anything so the key isn't needed

I'm pretty sure you installed grub on the wrong partition. Grub is suppose to be on your main partition and that allows you to pick windows or ubuntu. Reinstall it and put the grub loader on the main partition.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

I'm pretty sure you installed grub on the wrong partition. Grub is suppose to be on your main partition and that allows you to pick windows or ubuntu. Reinstall it and put the grub loader on the main partition.

How would one do this? I'm sorry, Im a really big Ubuntu newbie... :(

How would one do this? I'm sorry, Im a really big Ubuntu newbie... :(

Go back through the install process. Under installation type choose something else. In the big box click the partition you made for xubuntu, below that will say bootloader installtion. You put that on the main partition. Read this. Step 6. I know this is for ubuntu but it should be similar for xbuntu.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Go back through the install process. Under installation type choose something else. In the big box click the partition you made for xubuntu, below that will say bootloader installtion. You put that on the main partition. Read this. Step 6. I know this is for ubuntu but it should be similar for xbuntu.

You're going to have to be really basic with me. I went back into the BIOS and configured it to boot from the USB drive I used to install Xubuntu. apon exiting the BIOS, it threw me right back into Xbuntu..

You're going to have to be really basic with me. I went back into the BIOS and configured it to boot from the USB drive I used to install Xubuntu. apon exiting the BIOS, it threw me right back into Xbuntu..

Just hit F12 (could vary with motherboards) when booting to choose the boot menu, then scroll to the usb drive and hit enter.

Just hit F12 (could vary with motherboards) when booting to choose the boot menu, then scroll to the usb drive and hit enter.

Okay so I'm at the point where you choose something else. When I hit it there's a list of drive allocations that I can't tell which is which. I don't want to accidentally delete my Windows partition... When I made the partition I named it Partition 2.

Okay so I'm at the point where you choose something else. When I hit it there's a list of drive allocations that I can't tell which is which. I don't want to accidentally delete my Windows partition... When I made the partition I named it Partition 2.

Just look at the partition sizes and use your judgment to tell you which is which. I can't know, only you can. Look for the size of the partition you made for xbuntu, narrow them down. Look for the partition you use for windows, probably the largest partition available. It took me 3 tries to get the grub loader installed on the right partition.

You wont delete windows by putting grub in the wrong partition, it just wont show the boot loader, which is what it is currently doing.

Just look at the partition sizes and use your judgment to tell you which is which. I can't know, only you can. Look for the size of the partition you made for xbuntu, narrow them down. Look for the partition you use for windows, probably the largest partition available. It took me 3 tries to get the grub loader installed on the right partition.

You wont delete windows by putting grub in the wrong partition, it just wont show the boot loader, which is what it is currently doing.

Problem wing they're the exact same size. Oops. When I go to take a chance and install it on one, I got a pop up stating "No root file system". Help? It does it on both the partitions that are the same size.

Problem wing they're the exact same size. Oops. When I go to take a chance and install it on one, I got a pop up stating "No root file system". Help? It does it on both the partitions that are the same size.

Go read the steps in the link I posted it will guide you. You have to click the partition, Then new partition table and change it to use ext4 file system. This is the file system ubuntu uses, instead of ntfs, fat 32 etc. like windows does.

Even if you install xbuntu on your windows partition I am pretty sure you wont loose windows. It will still boot both windows and xbuntu if the bootloader is installed in the proper partition. This is because with the something else option we aren't formatting a drive. We are keeping existing files and making new ones, the xbuntu files.

Go read the steps in the link I posted it will guide you. You have to click the partition, Then new partition table and change it to use ext4 file system. This is the file system ubuntu uses, instead of ntfs, fat 32 etc. like windows does.

Even if you install xbuntu on your windows partition I am pretty sure you wont loose windows. It will still boot both windows and xbuntu if the bootloader is installed in the proper partition. This is because with the something else option we aren't formatting a drive. We are keeping existing files and making new ones, the xbuntu files.

It's still saying "No root file system" I tried it on the other partition, but it wouldn't let me change anything (buttons were greyed out) so I tried this one. The change button was all that was allowed to me. I changed the mount point to /home and type to ext4. I go and hit install now and it gives me the "no root" error still.