RTX 3080 **10GB VRAM ENOUGH?!**

makadee
Go to solution Solved by Exeon,
On 10/30/2020 at 4:30 PM, Leisor said:

(which will definitly be the case with 10GB) than not being able to play poor optimised games due tu a small vram pool.

Facts are the only thing that really matter.

The fact is most games don't even reach 8GB's let alone 10GB's for 1440

The only game that currently reaches 10GB's is Crysis remastered however since at max settings the 3080 can't even reach 60FPS this isn't a realistic scenario

Upcoming games like watchdogs Legion don't get to 10GB's on 4K, let alone 1440p

If you follow gaming trends we won't reach 10GB's 1440p for some years to come, by which time one could consider upgrading again.

DLSS also turns down the amount of VRAM used by quite a bit and we don't know how many titles will adopt this technology (AMD is also working on a similar thing)

"Not being able to play" is a big overstatement, when I bought the 980TI at release date 5 years ago I had to turn down settings on unoptimized games.

This wasn't because my card couldn't handle it, no card could handle it and even today's card can't, not at max settings.

At this point people shouldn't order and wait for AMD's benchmarks, I hope they are as promising as they make it seem.

I'm still waiting to see how they perform with ray tracing turned on.

10 hours ago, Domrockt said:

In VR and SS, i hit 12gb with my Sold 2080ti with ease. I Hope my 3090 will arrive next week.

Exactly this, in VR with 400% SS on most games that are "cartoonish" artstyle, you easily blast over 10Gb

14 hours ago, MadPistol said:

So I was worried about VRAM utilization, but the more I play with my 3080, the less I am worried. 2 reasons.

1. DLSS and other AI-based upscaling techniques will reduce VRAM required to hit a certain output resolution.

2. GPUs, even the mighty 3080, tend to run out of rendering power long before they hit a VRAM limit.

For the 2nd point, you can run GTA V right up to the limit of VRAM, and the framerate will slow to sub-30. While Ray Tracing will increase GPU utilization, that can also be mitigated through DLSS and other AI-based rendering. I think that Nvidia is betting heavily that this will be the future, and if it is, we honestly have nothing to worry about.

What do you mean by sub-30? I ran GTA on my computer maxed out and didnt have lower than 30FPS. Is this what you mean or did I misunderstand ?

Ryzen 3900XT OC to 4.4Ghz -B550 Aorus Pro - 32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair - RTX 3080 ASUS TUF OC - O11D Dynamic Tempered Glass - 2x 1TB m.2 SSD - 850W GOLD Corsair - Alien Ware Ultra Wide 3440x1440p - MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R RGB - Razer X Chroma - Razer DeathAdder Elite - Windows 10 Pro

14 hours ago, Leisor said:

DLSS is only used in a few games, and doesnt reduce (if available) vram usage very much.

The RTX 3080 will most likely end up like the GTX 680, which had enough rendering power, but "died" due to its small Vram pool, where the HD 7970 have proven itself as the much better option due to its bigger vram.

The thing is, if Nvidia doesn't offer anything between 10 and 24 GB, and you know that AMD will offer similar/better performance with 16GB, I would definitly wait with my purchase.

I tested this in games and the VRAM allocation can drop 2-3GB sometimes when DLSS is activated. For example Control, or Metro Exodus

Ryzen 3900XT OC to 4.4Ghz -B550 Aorus Pro - 32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair - RTX 3080 ASUS TUF OC - O11D Dynamic Tempered Glass - 2x 1TB m.2 SSD - 850W GOLD Corsair - Alien Ware Ultra Wide 3440x1440p - MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R RGB - Razer X Chroma - Razer DeathAdder Elite - Windows 10 Pro

5 hours ago, makadee said:

What do you mean by sub-30? I ran GTA on my computer maxed out and didnt have lower than 30FPS. Is this what you mean or did I misunderstand ?

You have to max out the settings at 4K and set frame scaling to 7/4. If you do this, you will push the VRAM amount right to the 10GB limit of this card.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to DLSS, that should make the 10gb not a problem for next generation games, because dlss upsamples 1080p to 4k without the need for extra memory.  Plus I expect this generation will hold its value store good as gold as the 1080ti has for 4 years. So you can always sell and upgrade later. See this "A.I. Expert: RTX 3080 Reviews "Don't Do It Justice".