RTX 3080 **10GB VRAM ENOUGH?!**

makadee
Go to solution Solved by Exeon,
On 10/30/2020 at 4:30 PM, Leisor said:

(which will definitly be the case with 10GB) than not being able to play poor optimised games due tu a small vram pool.

Facts are the only thing that really matter.

The fact is most games don't even reach 8GB's let alone 10GB's for 1440

The only game that currently reaches 10GB's is Crysis remastered however since at max settings the 3080 can't even reach 60FPS this isn't a realistic scenario

Upcoming games like watchdogs Legion don't get to 10GB's on 4K, let alone 1440p

If you follow gaming trends we won't reach 10GB's 1440p for some years to come, by which time one could consider upgrading again.

DLSS also turns down the amount of VRAM used by quite a bit and we don't know how many titles will adopt this technology (AMD is also working on a similar thing)

"Not being able to play" is a big overstatement, when I bought the 980TI at release date 5 years ago I had to turn down settings on unoptimized games.

This wasn't because my card couldn't handle it, no card could handle it and even today's card can't, not at max settings.

At this point people shouldn't order and wait for AMD's benchmarks, I hope they are as promising as they make it seem.

I'm still waiting to see how they perform with ray tracing turned on.

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Rumors are unreliable, they already changed once giving up the 20gb card idea for example.

If it's a 12gb model maybe with more SMs enabled, I expect MSRP to be around $700 to $750 (wont be too high in order to compete with 6800XT)

If it's a 20gb model, maybe $900-$1000 because 6900XT is $1000.

yea you can't really rely on rumours :P

Oh if the msrp is like $700-$800 that would be awesome on a 12gb model. I don't think it will be $699 then what happens to the 3080?

6 minutes ago, Hickaru said:

I don't think it will be $699 then what happens to the 3080?

Just like 20 series Super cards, I think they're just sold at MSRP of the non Super ones. Of course Nvidia may wait till 3080 stock to run dry before introducing the 3080Ti super whatever, this way retailers dont have to deal with selling better cards at the same price resulting in no one wanting the older cards.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 hours ago, makadee said:

What about the new watchdogs?

I don't own that game, (and am not likely to) so I have no idea.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

As already said, Nvidia has a big issue here, they either need to cut the memory interface to put 16GB, or just put 20GB, which would make the card too expensive.

AMD's approach with their infinity cache is probably something Nvidia did not expect.

Now they can offer 16GB for a very reasonable price.

A 3080ti with the same memory interface as the 3090 could have 12GB, but even 12GB is far away from the sweet spot.

Keep in mind, there are no real benchmarks yet for the AMD cards.

I can't care less for a graph with theoretical tests based on something like firestrike.

Pure hard framerates in games is all I care about about, and most people here will care about.

As of right now 8GB's is enough for 1440p in 99% of the games, you can always find a poorly optimized game that will hog your GPU to "make a case"

However that isn't a realistic scenario, it's also not like once you go over the limit your PC turns off or your framerate drops to 0 either.

VRAM allocation and VRAM usage are 2 different things, which people tend to forget.

I would currently say if 8GB's is currently enough for 1440p than 10GB's is pretty safe for the next couple of years.

It might be an issue in 5 years from now, however I doubt you'll stick to this generation after 5 years.

4K though is a different affair, I would go with AMD if you plan to go for 4K gaming.

So no, not a waste

11 hours ago, makadee said:

But there is really nothing that shows 10GB is not enough yet!! Not one video showing that due to VRAM the game is not running properly and is limited etc. 

Right now you are ok with 10GB at 1440P, but this certainly wont be the case for upcoming games, where even a Xbox Series X can use 10GB, then you need to turn your settings down to console settings, which is definitly nothing you want with an expensive GPU.

The Divison 2, Ghost Recon, and the new Watch Dogs are good examples of games where 10GB is already at the absolute limit at 1440P.

Next Gen Only Games will require a lot more Vram than those games, if you can choose between the RX 6800XT with similar or even better performance then a RTX 3080, but with 16GB Vram I would definitly recommend AMD this time.

If you want to stay safe and on Nvidia's side, then the RTX 3090 is the only safe option right now.

Nearly the same crappy performance regardless of texture settings even if you drop the usage less than 4GB...

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

38 minutes ago, ewitte said:

Nearly the same crappy performance regardless of texture settings even if you drop the usage less than 4GB...

The thing is, I rather have enough Vram to prevent Vram related issues (which will definitly be the case with 10GB) than not being able to play poor optimised games due tu a small vram pool.

I think watch dogs legion uses more than 8gb of vram at 4k

18 hours ago, ewitte said:

Yes 10GB is fine there is barely anything that pushes 8GB is what I said.  *need* vs allocation.

well watch dogs legion and doom eternal do push pass 8gb of vram at 4k

12 minutes ago, HD1 star wars said:

well watch dogs legion and doom eternal do push pass 8gb of vram at 4k

Doom Eternal shows just *barely* on an 8GB card with the "nightmare" setting it worked fine on Ultra.  It 100% is being used because you gain like 20% performance reducing textures.  I don't think anyone has shown similar testing done with Watch Dogs Legion yet (numbers are ALLOCATION).  I'm sure it does based on what I've seen but its definitely fine with 10GB.

10GB at this point is just a personal preference.  I was worried too but I'm running UW 1440p and unnoticeable texture reductions would be fine plus I have probably a 2 year upgrade cycle.  Some people running 4K don't want to be required to do so on a performance card and I completely understand that.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

On 10/30/2020 at 9:02 AM, ewitte said:

Doom Eternal shows just *barely* on an 8GB card with the "nightmare" setting it worked fine on Ultra.  It 100% is being used because you gain like 20% performance reducing textures.  I don't think anyone has shown similar testing done with Watch Dogs Legion yet (numbers are ALLOCATION).  I'm sure it does based on what I've seen but its definitely fine with 10GB.

10GB at this point is just a personal preference.  I was worried too but I'm running UW 1440p and unnoticeable texture reductions would be fine plus I have probably a 2 year upgrade cycle.  Some people running 4K don't want to be required to do so on a performance card and I completely understand that.

There is so many mixed opinions here!

I wonder if next gen gaming like games in late 2021 will be able to be handled with 10gb vram on ultra with an rtx 3080

Ryzen 3900XT OC to 4.4Ghz -B550 Aorus Pro - 32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair - RTX 3080 ASUS TUF OC - O11D Dynamic Tempered Glass - 2x 1TB m.2 SSD - 850W GOLD Corsair - Alien Ware Ultra Wide 3440x1440p - MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R RGB - Razer X Chroma - Razer DeathAdder Elite - Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, makadee said:

There is so many mixed opinions here!

Look, it's rather easy. Next Gen consoles will have ~10GB, and games primarily are optimized for that, because it's a huge market *and* is fixed hardware so much easier to optimize for. 

Now you have a pc with parts for $1000+ but your card has only 8 or 10GB, that means you're gonna play "at best" at console settings (which only cost $400 or so) and in reality most games you will even run in lower settings because they're not optimized for pc whatsoever, they're optimized for consoles, even the engines like UE etc are!

The people denying this, are either not really thinking it through, or, in most cases I'd wager, just don't wanna hear it! Lol 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 10/29/2020 at 2:21 PM, dizmo said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially at that resolution. The others have already explained why.

Not accurate.

Maybe, maybe not. If someone's buying a 3080 chances are in a couple years when that might be come a problem, they'll simply upgrade anyway.

He was mentioning thats not accurate though

Ryzen 3900XT OC to 4.4Ghz -B550 Aorus Pro - 32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair - RTX 3080 ASUS TUF OC - O11D Dynamic Tempered Glass - 2x 1TB m.2 SSD - 850W GOLD Corsair - Alien Ware Ultra Wide 3440x1440p - MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R RGB - Razer X Chroma - Razer DeathAdder Elite - Windows 10 Pro

43 minutes ago, makadee said:

He was mentioning thats not accurate though

Games are always developed on a base plattform, those base plattforms are the consoles. Right now games are developed to run on PS4 and Xbox One, both of these plattforms can offer around ~3GB of Vram.

This won't be the case for upcoming games exklusively for PC/PS5/Xbox Series X, because PS5 and Xbox Series X are offering around ~10GB of Vram, which is the exact amount of Vram a RTX 3080 has.

If you dont want to play on console settings, then I would strongly recommend you a GPU with more Vram.

If you only want to play games which are already released, then you are absolutely ok with 10GB, but 10GB is nothing where you are equipped for upcoming Next Gen only games if you want to push the graphics (especially Texture Quality, texture filtering, high quality shadows...) higher than consoles.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:30 PM, Leisor said:

(which will definitly be the case with 10GB) than not being able to play poor optimised games due tu a small vram pool.

The only game that currently reaches 10GB's is Crysis remastered however since at max settings the 3080 can't even reach 60FPS this isn't a realistic scenario

If you follow gaming trends we won't reach 10GB's 1440p for some years to come, by which time one could consider upgrading again.

DLSS also turns down the amount of VRAM used by quite a bit and we don't know how many titles will adopt this technology (AMD is also working on a similar thing)

"Not being able to play" is a big overstatement, when I bought the 980TI at release date 5 years ago I had to turn down settings on unoptimized games.

This wasn't because my card couldn't handle it, no card could handle it and even today's card can't, not at max settings.

At this point people shouldn't order and wait for AMD's benchmarks, I hope they are as promising as they make it seem.

I'm still waiting to see how they perform with ray tracing turned on.

24 minutes ago, Exeon said:

You are still talking about games which are already released and seem to forget about upcoming Next Gen Only games where even the consoles use ~10GB.

Look at 2013 when PS4 and Xbox One where released, there was a huge jump in Vram requierment, suddenly 2GB cards back then (for example the GTX 680) did not have enough Vram for higher than console settings.

We are in the same situation right now, 10GB is not the amount of vram you want if you want to play higher then console settings.

Watch Dogs Legion btw already has a problem with 8GB Vram according to this german hardware test site - without Raytracing!

According to our experiences with the launch game versions, 8 GiByte graphics memory is the minimum to go on a sightseeing tour with maximum details without major jerks - without ray tracing, mind you.

image.png.ba168a737c395993cd51e1ee9b5fe9a7.png

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Watch-Dogs-Legion-Spiel-67679/Specials/Raytracing-Benchmarks-DLSS-Test-1360745/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=pcgh&utm_campaign=weiterelinks&utm_content=mehrlesen

I agree with you, as long as Nvidia doesn't offer anything between 10 and 24 GB, people should wait for AMD, it looks very promising this time.

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Look, it's rather easy. Next Gen consoles will have ~10GB, and games primarily are optimized for that, because it's a huge market *and* is fixed hardware so much easier to optimize for.

However it is shared between CPU and GPU.  Its easy enough to mitigate without losing much visually.  For a few years probably.

25 minutes ago, ewitte said:

However it is shared between CPU and GPU.  Its easy enough to mitigate without losing much visually.  For a few years probably.

16GB are shared for GPU and CPU, 10GB are (in the case of the xbox series x) reserved for Vram.

PS5 can use whatever it want, maybe even more.

So I was worried about VRAM utilization, but the more I play with my 3080, the less I am worried. 2 reasons.

1. DLSS and other AI-based upscaling techniques will reduce VRAM required to hit a certain output resolution.

2. GPUs, even the mighty 3080, tend to run out of rendering power long before they hit a VRAM limit.

For the 2nd point, you can run GTA V right up to the limit of VRAM, and the framerate will slow to sub-30. While Ray Tracing will increase GPU utilization, that can also be mitigated through DLSS and other AI-based rendering. I think that Nvidia is betting heavily that this will be the future, and if it is, we honestly have nothing to worry about.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

DLSS is only used in a few games, and doesnt reduce (if available) vram usage very much.

The RTX 3080 will most likely end up like the GTX 680, which had enough rendering power, but "died" due to its small Vram pool, where the HD 7970 have proven itself as the much better option due to its bigger vram.

The thing is, if Nvidia doesn't offer anything between 10 and 24 GB, and you know that AMD will offer similar/better performance with 16GB, I would definitly wait with my purchase.

19 minutes ago, Leisor said:

DLSS is only used in a few games, and doesnt reduce (if available) vram usage very much.

The RTX 3080 will most likely end up like the GTX 680, which had enough rendering power, but "died" due to its small Vram pool, where the HD 7970 have proven itself as the much better option due to its bigger vram.

The thing is, if Nvidia doesn't offer anything between 10 and 24 GB, and you know that AMD will offer similar/better performance with 16GB, I would definitly wait with my purchase.

It actually reduces VRAM utilization quite a bit, since it is rendering the image at a lower resolution. The AI-based upscaling doesn't really cost anything since it's all computed based on an algorithm provided by Nvidia. There's also no reason to believe that this isn't going to get better as time passes. AI-based upscaling is still a somewhat new tech.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

10gb is plenty for 1440p in 99% of games. the next consoles make game developers optimize gmaes for 8 cores / 16 threads and optimize games to use 8-10gb of vram.

but 10gb will still be plenty. you could always dial back the setting from ULtra to high. (shadows use a ton of vram)

conclusion: 10gb is plenty for 1440p

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

In VR and SS, i hit 12gb with my Sold 2080ti with ease. I Hope my 3090 will arrive next week.

CPU

Intel  i9 13900k

Motherboard

Asrock Z790 Taichi

RAM

Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB 6000MHZ

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING TRIO 24G 

Storage

Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB 
Unraid NAS 10Gbit about 50TB HDD's, i713700k 64GB DDR5 crucial @ 5800Mhz 

Win11 Workstation