Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Details of Intel Rocket Lake Officially Revealed

Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,

Summary

New details of Intel Rocket Lake have officially been revealed by Intel. The big difference between previous leaks and this official information is that Rocket Lake will use Cypress Cove Cores instead of Willow Cove. Intel also says Rocket Lake will have a max of 8c/16t. Rocket Lake will also have an improved memory controller that supports increased memory speeds up to 3200 mhz. Rocket Lake will also feature PCIe Gen 4 and improved integrated graphics.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.de8afdd479c90c5f5124bc2425093cf0.png

Quotes

Intel has decided to reveal some additional details about its upcoming Rocket Lake processors and one of the major differences between leaks and reality is the fact that it actually features Cypress Cove cores - based on Ice Lake - instead of Willow Cove.

Intel's Rocket Lake processors will have up to 8 cores and feature 50% more integrated graphics power. RKL-S is based on the 14nm process, but unlike older generations, it will feature a revamped architecture based on the Sunny Cove (Ice Lake) architecture called Cypress Cove. It is essentially a backport of 10nm (non-SuperFin) to 14nm. PCIe 4.0 support and Xe 12 generation graphics have been added as well.

The series will officially land on desktops under a name of the 11th Gen Core series. One would guess that the successor to Core i9-10900K will therefore be named Core i9-11900K, although it remains to be seen how Intel is planning to advertise a successor, which will feature fewer cores than Comet Lake. This is because Intel also confirmed that Rocket Lake-S tops at 8 core/16 thread configuration.

Intel revealed that Rocket Lake-S supports memory up to DDR4-3200, which is an upgrade over current-gen DDR4-2933.

My thoughts

Glad that Rocket Lake is officially confirmed to get PCIe Gen 4 support, but having only 8c/16t might damage it in performance compared to high end zen 3. I'm also interested to see if Intel can reclaim the gaming performance crown if AMD's Zen 3 numbers are correct.

Sources

https://wccftech.com/intel-rocket-lake-details-officially-revealed-based-on-cypress-cove-cores-backported-from-ice-lake/

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-confirms-11th-gen-core-rocket-lake-s-features-cypress-cove-ice-lake-core-architecture

That's the last 14nm generation, right? .... right? Please tell me I'm right 😐

In case of USB confusion, refer to this sh*t.

• 05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0)
  • 10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2
  • 20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2
  • 40Gb/s - Thunderbolt 3
  • 40Gb/s certified - Thunderbolt 4
  • 40Gb/s - USB 4

Some Wallpapers I created • The Basics of Solid State Drives and Modules (A reference guide by me)

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

yes intel's 12th gen (code named alder lake) is on 10 nm superfin node

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The 11th gen Rocket Lake is the their last 14nm cpu, next is Alder lake on 10nm using LGA 1700.

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

Intel has more lakes than Minnesota.

thats because in some form or another (modern) intel cpus are based an skylake architecture 

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

8 cores max? That IPC increase must be worthwhile to cut 2 cores from the top SKU.

Also even if that's the case, the 10 cores CPU should still be better at everything except gaming and Adobe which is ridiculous.

I hope for intel own sake that alder lake be actually good, cause this reeks of disappointment.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Just the bullet points:

• Cypress Cove cores on 14nm (similar to Sunny Cove on 10nm) "double digit IPC improvement"
  • Up to 8 cores/16 threads
  • Xe graphics (as used in Tiger Lake), also on 14nm
  • 20 usable PCIe 4.0 lanes, now matching AMD (AMD have 28, but 4 are reserved for chipset communication so are not user accessible)
  • Memory controller supports 3200 officially
  • New VNNI instructions for AI/deep learning
  • New 500 chipset, will work on current one too

I don't see explicit mention of AVX-512, but VNNI is a subset of that so I'd think we'd get the rest of the basic AVX-512 functions along with it. Almost certainly a one-unit design so no elevated FP64 performance.

42 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Glad that Rocket Lake is officially confirmed to get PCIe Gen 4 support, but having only 8c/16t might damage it in performance compared to high end zen 3. I'm also interested to see if Intel can reclaim the gaming performance crown if AMD's Zen 3 numbers are correct.

While there may be niche gaming cases where more cores help, I think 8 cores will be the optimal point for a while. Zen 3's unified L3 cache can only work on a single CCD CPU, so more than 8 core models will lose that benefit unless you start messing around with affinity. We don't know what clocks Intel will be able to hit with this, but the IPC increase is long overdue and will help a LOT. Someone would have to be braver than me to predict if 5800X or whatever the top Rocket Lake CPU will be can come out on top for gaming. 5800X wont have to make that fight for some time.

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, EVGA 2080Ti Black, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

Former Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

35 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

8 cores max? That IPC increase must be worthwhile to cut 2 cores from the top SKU.

Also even if that's the case, the 10 cores CPU should still be better at everything except gaming and Adobe which is ridiculous.

I hope for intel own sake that alder lake be actually good, cause this reeks of disappointment.

Kinda shocking that Intel is going only up to 8c/16t on their consumer lineup when AMD is offering more. I want to have high hopes for Rocket Lake but until they move to 10nm SuperFin on Alder Lake and offer more cores, I don't think they will have any chance. 

32 minutes ago, porina said:
  • Cypress Cove cores on 14nm (similar to Sunny Cove on 10nm) "double digit IPC improvement"

The "double digit IPC improvement" will need to make a difference for those that used to buy Intel and are thinking about AMD will convince them to stay with Intel if performance is competitive with Ryzen 5000 series. The Xe graphics perhaps can make these competitive against AMD's offerings with Vega graphics hopefully. I still like that fact that Intel still ships with integrated graphics just in case some issue arises with your graphics card, although with AMD, you have to buy the G SKUs for that ability or put a graphics card in for display.  

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

10 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Kinda shocking that Intel is going only up to 8c/16t on their consumer lineup when AMD is offering more. I want to have high hopes for Rocket Lake but until they move to 10nm SuperFin on Alder Lake and offer more cores, I don't think they will have any chance. 

8 cores I think is the sweet spot for the mainstream, and also it is probably the practical limit due to still being on 14nm. These cores/GPU were designed to fit on 10nm, so they're going to take a lot more space at 14nm. IMO AMD went too far in offering more cores. I'm sure there are some who welcome higher core counts, but to me it seems more fitting for them to go on a HEDT platform without the limitations of a consumer platform. I'd like to see HEDT costs come down in general.

Alder Lake desktop will complicate matters with its mix of big and little cores, but don't expect more than 8 big cores on the mainstream.

Intel could still attack more cores on desktop through HEDT, but Ice Lake server is seemingly delayed some more so I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k stock, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p 144Hz G-sync

TV Gaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, 7920X @ 8c8t, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, EVGA 2080Ti Black, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, LG OLED55B9PLA

Former Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k stock, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, Gigabyte GTX 1650, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, HP LP2475W 1200p wide gamut

Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, 2x8GB DDR4, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD

17 minutes ago, porina said:

8 cores I think is the sweet spot for the mainstream, and also it is probably the practical limit due to still being on 14nm. These cores/GPU were designed to fit on 10nm, so they're going to take a lot more space at 14nm. IMO AMD went too far in offering more cores. I'm sure there are some who welcome higher core counts, but to me it seems more fitting for them to go on a HEDT platform without the limitations of a consumer platform. I'd like to see HEDT costs come down in general.

Alder Lake desktop will complicate matters with its mix of big and little cores, but don't expect more than 8 big cores on the mainstream.

Intel could still attack more cores on desktop through HEDT, but Ice Lake server is seemingly delayed some more so I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Well with Intel's Comet Lake (10th gen i9s) having 10c/20t, its pretty odd to go back but whatever. I do agree with HEDT costs being a bit too much for what you get right now but from both lineups right now, they are a lot. Intel's 10th gen HEDT costs were pretty much slashed in half with their top of the line HEDT (10980XE) compared to the previous generation so they do know the direction consumers and enthusiasts are looking for but if they can go another $100 off, I think that will give them an edge and not to mention, more features that HEDT currently enjoys over the consumer platform (quad channel memory support, 48 PCIe lanes or 64 PCIe lanes with Threadripper etc.).  

big.LITTLE can improve power efficiency more for x86 with the hybrid core design. Intel will hopefully iron out the issues they are encountering with EUV lithography for 10nm/7nm and imo be more competitive with AMD's offerings of Zen 3 and beyond. Intel has shown that their 10nm process will be just as dense as TSMC's 7nm lineup, which is great for all of us. I hope we all understand that lithography node sizes are different across the whole industry. 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  |  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3200  |  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  |  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  |  HDD:2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  |  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  |  PSU: EVGA P2 850W  |  Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB  |  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with Romer-G Tactile Switches  |  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM300 Extended  |  MonitorMSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

1 hour ago, porina said:

Just the bullet points:

• 20 usable PCIe 4.0 lanes, now matching AMD (AMD have 28, but 4 are reserved for chipset communication so are not user accessible)
  • Memory controller supports 3200 officially
  • New VNNI instructions for AI/deep learning
  • New 500 chipset, will work on current one too

I don't see explicit mention of AVX-512, but VNNI is a subset of that so I'd think we'd get the rest of the basic AVX-512 functions along with it. Almost certainly a one-unit design so no elevated FP64 performance.

While there may be niche gaming cases where more cores help, I think 8 cores will be the optimal point for a while. Zen 3's unified L3 cache can only work on a single CCD CPU, so more than 8 core models will lose that benefit unless you start messing around with affinity. We don't know what clocks Intel will be able to hit with this, but the IPC increase is long overdue and will help a LOT. Someone would have to be braver than me to predict if 5800X or whatever the top Rocket Lake CPU will be can come out on top for gaming. 5800X wont have to make that fight for some time.

Everything after Skylake-S has the AVX512 blocks, so it's in there.

The real question is going to be performance regressions in certain tasks, as we've seen with Tigerlake. This is a truly backported 10nm design to 14nm, so there's going to be cache compromises. It'll probably be net faster, but the areas it is will matter. We also don't have any clue on scaling, as this is the first post-Skylake design for desktop. 

29 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I just went and dug up what Intel were originally claiming when Sunny Cove first came out. It was 18% IPC improvement over Skylake across a bunch of mostly synthetic tests. Since it was only ever offered on mobile, desktop users essentially ignored it existed. We don't know if the Cypress Cove implementation will be identical to this, so some caution is still required. Sunny Cove I don't think had VNNI, that was a Tiger Lake (Willow Cove) thing I think. So Cypress Cove is kinda mixed between them, then thrown onto 14nm. I guess Intel is using "double digit" wording to cover themselves if different workloads today might come to a more different number.

1983101114_BlueprintSeries_May16-2019_COMBINEDFINAL_AnandTech(2)-page-029.thumb.jpg.dd15277454c32bc6136625c3bd067143.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14514/examining-intels-ice-lake-microarchitecture-and-sunny-cove/10

I don't have a comparable number for Zen 2 vs Skylake. The nearest I have on hand is my own testing using a bunch of even more obscure mostly synthetic tests.

Still, I think Rocket Lake will be at least similar ball park IPC to Zen 2. Then throw in clock advantage relative to Zen 2, I wouldn't count on it overtaking Zen 3 but it will be a gap closer while they try to squeeze out Alder Lake.

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Intel's 10th gen HEDT costs were pretty much slashed in half with their top of the line HEDT (10980XE) compared to the previous generation so they do know the direction consumers and enthusiasts are looking for but if they can go another $100 off, I think that will give them an edge and not to mention, more features that HEDT currently enjoys over the consumer platform (quad channel memory support, 48 PCIe lanes or 64 PCIe lanes with Threadripper etc.).  

I think the last (current) HEDT CPU pricing from Intel is competitive vs Threadripper and the higher core count AM4. Of course, the mobo complicates matters and I think that's where the cost is added when considering it against the much more limited AM4 offering.

last gen 14nm means not worth buying to me lol

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

9 minutes ago, porina said:

Still, I think Rocket Lake will be at least similar ball park IPC to Zen 2. Then throw in clock advantage relative to Zen 2, I wouldn't count on it overtaking Zen 3 but it will be a gap closer while they try to squeeze out Alder Lake.

Its always exciting news to speculate about and hope that it becomes true. 

10 minutes ago, porina said:

I think the last (current) HEDT CPU pricing from Intel is competitive vs Threadripper and the higher core count AM4. Of course, the mobo complicates matters and I think that's where the cost is added when considering it against the much more limited AM4 offering.

Yeah the motherboard costs for HEDT is exorbitant. 

Frankly enough until Intel starts to take some notes from AMD I won't be considering their platform any time soon. Still no Memory XMP for budget boards, nor OC capabilities. They're still locking all their cpus per usual and changing sockets every 2 generations for the sake of doing so. Upgrade path is cut short at 8 cores. I mean at least they've got PCIE 4.0, let's just hope they don't do something stupid like making PCIE 4.0 a Z-series chipset feature.

Intel's got to stop acting like they're still on top and actually compete with AMD's offerings because the last thing anyone wants to happen is the competition to stop.

6 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

let's just hope they don't do something stupid like making PCIE 4.0 a Z-series chipset feature

honestly i thought this was a given, is it not? i kinda expect them to do that to segment budget boards from the overpriced ones lol

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

I just googled cypress cove and the top hits I got were a children’s aquatic park followed by a nudist resort.  I really really wish I was kidding. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, porina said:

I just went and dug up what Intel were originally claiming when Sunny Cove first came out. It was 18% IPC improvement over Skylake across a bunch of mostly synthetic tests.

Oh joy, 18% over Skylake. So 18% over a 2015 product. Gimme a moment, gonna grab the fireworks...

Also, 8c/16t maximum means that the 5900x is going to reign supreme and unchallenged, and the 5950x/Threadrippers will be the only choice sensible for pro-sumers unless they're somehow already invested in the Xeon ecosystem.

I hope they can bounce back once they really get 10nm going, because to me this looks like waving the white flag; it reeks of surrender.
And AMD will not be any better than Intel if they stand unchallenged.

39 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Oh joy, 18% over Skylake. So 18% over a 2015 product. Gimme a moment, gonna grab the fireworks...

And when did AMD beat Skylake IPC? Zen 2, a 2019 product. Earlier Zen varied a lot depending on the work so it was not IPC leadership there. There were scenarios where they were faster or slower, but it was Zen 2 that finally did it far more often than not. You can see AMD making a nod to this through their pricing. Only with Zen 2 did they start to go higher up, and they are continuing this path with Zen 3.

39 minutes ago, Rauten said:

I hope they can bounce back once they really get 10nm going, because to me this looks like waving the white flag; it reeks of surrender.
And AMD will not be any better than Intel if they stand unchallenged.

From your writing, it is you who is waving the white flag for Intel, not Intel themselves. They're not in a good position right now, but they are fighting back. If they can't recapture the lead in one step, should they not try at all? This stuff isn't quick or easy. Silicon designs from concept to manufacturing takes years. You can do all the right things and it might still not work out. That's not to suggest Intel did all the right things either. Rocket Lake is a gap closer. It wont bring them immediately back to the front, but it will stop them drifting further behind AMD while their longer term plans are executed.

5 minutes ago, porina said:

From your writing, it is you who is waving the white flag for Intel, not Intel themselves.

I meant it reeked of surrender for this generation.
I thought my hopes for a 10nm bounce back would indicate that, but perhaps that was only clear in my head.

So yeah, to me it feels like "we're not even gonna try this time around so we can focus on future products".
I just hope it pays off because, again, if AMD stands unchallenged, they'll become as consumer unfriendly as Intel did.

Just now, Rauten said:

I meant it reeked of surrender for this generation.
I thought my hopes for a 10nm bounce back would indicate that, but perhaps that was only clear in my head.

So yeah, to me it feels like "we're not even gonna try this time around so we can focus on future products".
I just hope it pays off because, again, if AMD stands unchallenged, they'll become as consumer unfriendly as Intel did.

Their 10nm plans are for Alder Lake second half of next year. They can't magically pull it out a year ahead, and I wouldn't rule out Alder Lake getting delayed either. Given that plan they backported their 10nm design to 14nm so they have some improvement to offer beyond trying to milk clock speed, which must be running dry now. They will have parallel teams working on products so whoever backported the design would not be the same as those working on the new product, although some overlap may be applicable in places. I think it is in a Tech Tech Potato video where Dr Ian Cutress noticed that Intel has more software engineers than AMD has engineers.

14 hours ago, porina said:

If you don't offer more on a mainstream platform software designers won't build mainstream software that can use them. It's been the same with every CPU and GPU tech for as far back as i can remember, (and probably goes back way before that). 

This is an interesting choice by intel but most gamers care more about performance than high core counts, that being said I myself prefer and would use both to their capacity in certain games and am very interested in how AMD's 5900x performs compared to the 10900k or even the 5950x if it's worthwhile.

7 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

If you don't offer more on a mainstream platform software designers won't build mainstream software that can use them. It's been the same with every CPU and GPU tech for as far back as i can remember, (and probably goes back way before that). 

I get what you're saying, but I think we're at a point where if software can already scale well to 8 cores, they can scale well above that. The eternal problem is that some types of code just will never scale well with throwing more cores at it. Looking at the mass mainstream, there are still plenty of scenarios where 4 cores are still plenty and unlikely to be helped by having more faster cores.

I guess there is a more nuanced part to this, that if you have around 8 cores of resource you can do certain things, but if you had say 16 cores of resource, you might be able to do something more. Still, code will have to scale down for the majority that wont have the top tier CPUs.