Amazon court argument : you do not own your Prime Video purchases ; what is bought is an on-demand viewing licence

WkdPaul

i got no problem with that proposal when it comes to films on Amazon Prime Video included to view for free with ur account.

However, 'purchasing' a film digitaly ..thats another story, more times than not these films are more or less the same price as finding a Blue-ray / DVD in store, and to be frank, there are many many ways u can rip the video from Amazon once u have access to it even fi it doesnt strictly give u an option to 'download'.

Purchases made for digital copies, should very much be treated like a hardcopy.

Movies and series included within ur subscription 'for free', should not be considered 'owned'.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

"purchase" = own

I'm not sure why someone would purchase a digital movie.  If you like to own get a 4k bluray copy.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, ewitte said:

"purchase" = own

I'm not sure why someone would purchase a digital movie.  If you like to own get a 4k bluray copy.

Two main reasons I can think of is convenience and availability. 

If you buy physical discs, you have to go to the store and get them - or wait potentially days or weeks for it to arrive in the mail. 

Then you need to find somewhere to store them. 

Then when you want to watch it, you have to go find the disc, get it out of the case, pop it into the player, then do the reverse when you’re done. 

On top of that, where you live might not have great selection. 

With digital, you just buy it, download (or immediately stream) it, and you can watch it whenever you want without needing to think about the disc and all of that. 

Personally I won’t buy digital movies that are content locked to one service. And since you can’t buy DRM free movies, I therefore simply don’t buy digital movies. 

I also prefer the very obvious higher quality of a Blu-Ray over the same movie streamed.

But not everyone is me. Lots of people don’t care about the things I take into consideration. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Well for what it’s worth I found the claimant brief.  Team is very very small for a class action: 3 lawyers, 2 firms.

https://docs.reclaimthenet.org/amazon-lawsuit-video.pdf

it was apparently filed the 24th of April and the Amazon motion to dismiss is only coming now.  5 months is a long time.  It looks like this one might drag out. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The term "purchase" typically means you actually own something.  They're trying to argue that purchase means "unlimited term rental" which is still just a rental.

The legal question is always "what would a reasonable person think" and I don't think they'd agree with Amazon on this one.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

It needs to be crystal clear to consumers that they do not own the movie, and that needs to be reflected before a purchase is ever made since people cannot be expected to read an entire terms of service document. That should be the standard for ALL platforms, but they're afraid that making that apparent will lose them customers, and rightfully so, people should be more concerned about actually owning what they use. 

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

Its basically then a music streaming subscription. Just because I add it to my library, doesnt mean I own it for life.

3 minutes ago, drexTech said:

Its basically then a music streaming subscription. Just because I add it to my library, doesnt mean I own it for life.

yeah, basically, and that's the issue the person making the lawsuit claims ; if it says "purchase", it should mean you own it and you should be able to view it offline without an Amazon subscription, and it shouldn't just vanish if it's pulled from the platform.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Motions to dismiss are omnipresent in modern litigation because even if they have zero chance of success they still cause delay which can be helpful to the more monied side, which is what Amazon is so a motion to dismiss would have been filed regardless.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:43 AM, Teddy07 said:

Amazon tried it a while ago in Germany. They denied access to ebooks, audiobooks and other stuff but the courts already decided that customers need to have access to their bought stuff or get a full refund.

That's a problem, because companies revoke licences for reasons, including demanding more money from the service as leverage for carrying content they don't want.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:35 AM, Smit Devrukhkar said:

The person who filed this is insane. In that case all the movies that I downloaded for offline viewing with my netflix subscription should be my property.

Eh, not quite. Netflix is much closer to the classic PPV model before it evolved into a VOD model. PPV models you paid to rent a movie for one viewing, and if you decided you had to visit the toilet, you couldn't come back and rewind it (Cable versions had to temporarily provision a channel to do it at all.) High Speed internet turned all these services into TVoIP VOD systems and now it's pretty much a stupid thing to pay for a low-quality stream from TV when you can buy the DVD/BD and watch it whenever you want. 

To that end, people, like myself, only buy movies they like, which means I may have seen it once already in the theatre, or on netflix/crunchyroll/other means. I'm not going to buy a movie disc that I haven't seen. That's what renting and netflix is for. 

15 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

yeah, basically, and that's the issue the person making the lawsuit claims ; if it says "purchase", it should mean you own it and you should be able to view it offline without an Amazon subscription, and it shouldn't just vanish if it's pulled from the platform.

Yes, and it should be that way. If you buy music, movies, films, comics, etc, be it Amazon, iTunes, Walmart, Google, etc you should have a perpetual license to that content, and if the "content owner" decides to be dick about it, either they must

a) Migrate your license to whoever now has the license at their cost (which is what happened twice now with flixster

Thu, Dec 12, 2019

To Flixster Video users:

In a previous e-mail we informed you that Flixster Video is planning to shut down its website, applications and operations on December 18, 2019, and that we have made arrangements with Google Play to enable you to migrate available videos in your Flixster Video collection to Google Play.

Sun, Nov 25, 2018

WB Movies All Access or Flixster Video is now linked to your UltraViolet Library.

This will allow you to access your UltraViolet Library through WB Movies All Access or Flixster Video without logging in separately to UltraViolet.

As a reminder,

Your UltraViolet Library was created for you by Universal Studios Home Entertainment on 2014-*-*. It has approximately 3 movies/TV shows.

As you can tell, I knew better than to trust this. I put everything on iTunes, except these which decided not to be on iTunes.

You watch, in likely a year, they will move all the Google Play movies to Youtube as well.

OR

b) Refund every movie that is no longer available.

If you choose to cancel your account, then just like a MMO game, you forfeit any purchases made on that account. You could always resume using your account. Unless you did something to get banned.

Now what really does need to happen, and this will only happen with regulations, is that a "universal ledger" or something similar to what's is starting to happen with games, starts to happen with music and movies/tv show services. Where you can voluntarily move your purchases to competing services as easy as you can move your phone number through local number portability. No more "pay per play" or "pay per media shift" nonsense. That may just the carrot needed to get high bitrate video streams instead of crappy 1/4 quality streams with no DVD extras.

Once we get there, we also solve the problem with music and video clip licencing on youtube and twitch, because then even the idiots at the media companies can query if you purchased the thing and simply require people to buy the media if they want those parts of the videos unmuted/uncut. Solves the problem of trying to get the twitch streamer or youtuber to licence the content with an unknown number of viewers. If someone likes watching videos about Saints Row 3rd or GTA, they will either be compelled to buy the game themselves (thereby acquiring those music licenses in the process) or the music alone. Like I may not even care about listening to the music of a game I'm not that invested in, but if the video is pointless without it (DDR, Just Dance, BeatMania, PIU, Step Revolution, OSU, Beat Saber, etc) then you'll want the viewer to either license it or just pass on the video.