Can't fully understand how an ASN works.

mobtrap

Hello.

I'm planning to make my own hosting company and I want to have my ASN, but can't fully understand how it works. For example, how allocation works. Also, can I allocate ASN to IPs from different providers?

k

Sorry to be blunt, if you don't know what an ASN is you're not ready to start a hosting company...and starting a hosting company IS really expensive. 

Here is the a video explaining:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

The post above is a good introduction. I'll give some additional overview (simplified, not fully detailed) as to what to expect from all this.

ASN (Autonomous System Number) is assigned to an ISP or a service provider, who owns some IP prefix (be that IPv4 or IPv6). To get one, you first need to buy (or rent) yourself some IP space/prefix. IPv4 is really expensive, as there is a major shortage for it and cloud providers, who really need them, are really paying big bucks to get them. For IPv4, prices start at about 20-25$ USD per IP and no one is gonna bother selling smaller than /24 block these days (that is, 256 IP addresses).

Once you have acquired an IP block, you need to register them at your RIR (ARIN, APNIC, AFRINIC, LACNIC or RIPE). The registration also costs and there are quite a number of requirements involved. After that, you can start assigning the IPs to the servers. But to make them accessible from the Internet, you need to make setup BGP routing. Basically you need to configure BGP system on your outside router to publish that "hey, I know where x.x.x.x/x IP space is" and that info is then propagated to every other public router in the world, that deals with BGP. That's how users can eventually connect to your IPs/servers - all the routers inbetween know where the servers on your IPs are and where the packets should be forwarded to.

Not all cloud providers allow you to do any BGP. If you intend to have your own physical servers, you need to also consider where the servers will be, which IX it is connected to etc.

And of course all the other hosting company worries - uptime, reliability, stability, maintenance, customer support, network, redundancy, storage, CPU/RAM, firewalls etc.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

13 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

The post above is a good introduction. I'll give some additional overview as to what to expect from all this.

ASN (Autonomous System Number) is assigned to an ISP or a service provider, who owns some IP prefix (be that IPv4 or IPv6). To get one, you first need to buy (or rent) yourself some IP space/prefix. IPv4 is really expensive, as there is a major shortage for it and cloud providers, who really need them, are really paying big bucks to get them. For IPv4, prices start at about 20-25$ USD per IP and no one is gonna bother selling smaller than /24 block these days (that is, 256 IP addresses).

Once you have acquired an IP block, you can start assigning them to servers. After that, you need to make your IP space accessible using BGP routing. Basically you need to configure BGP system on your outside router to publish that "hey, I know where x.x.x.x/x IP space is" and that info is then propagated to every other public router in the world, that deals with BGP. That's how users can eventually connect to your IPs/servers - all the routers inbetween know where the servers on your IPs are and where the packets should be forwarded to.

Not all cloud providers allow you to do any BGP. If you intend to have your own physical servers, you need to also consider where the servers will be, which IX it is connected to etc.

And of course all the other hosting company worries - uptime, reliability, stability, maintenance, customer support, network, redundancy, storage, CPU/RAM, firewalls etc.

Oh, so from what I understand, I can't just simply allocate an ASN to an IP address from a provider and another IP from another provider (the IP addresses not being owned by me)?

k

2 hours ago, mxnugget said:

Oh, so from what I understand, I can't just simply allocate an ASN to an IP address from a provider and another IP from another provider (the IP addresses not being owned by me)?

Every IP block is assigned to a specific ASN. You can't get an ASN if you do not literally own the IP. ASNs aren't done for single addresses either, only IP address blocks.

Why would you even need an ASN?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Just now, jj9987 said:

Every IP block is assigned to a specific ASN. You can't get an ASN if you do not literally own the IP. ASNs aren't done for single addresses either, only IP address blocks.

Why would you even need an ASN?

For my hosting company, I want more trust to my customers and I also want to hide my providers.

k

3 hours ago, mxnugget said:

I want more trust to my customers and I also want to hide my providers.

Hmmm... That sounds contradictory.