Advice for CPU/Motherboard given a specific GPU

Frogeater

Hi there,

First time posting here, I hope I do it right.
Could anyone give me some advice for a CPU/Motherboard upgrade and if it's worth it?

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v lx
CPU: I7-3770k
GPU: geforce 1080

Using bottleneck calculator I see I have a 25% bottleneck due to the cpu: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-3770K/GeForce_GTX_1080/0020Uulu/8/100/

Given I don't want to change  the GPU, what would be a good CPU/Motherboard to upgrade to? Since I use my pc for gaming, would I see a big difference in performance if I had no bottleneck with a better CPU ( I play at 1080p resolution )?

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Frog eater

8 minutes ago, Frogeater said:

Hi there,

First time posting here, I hope I do it right.
Could anyone give me some advice for a CPU/Motherboard upgrade and if it's worth it?

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v lx
CPU: I7-3770k
GPU: geforce 1080

Using bottleneck calculator I see I have a 25% bottleneck due to the cpu: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-3770K/GeForce_GTX_1080/0020Uulu/8/100/

Given I don't want to change  the GPU, what would be a good CPU/Motherboard to upgrade to? Since I use my pc for gaming, would I see a big difference in performance if I had no bottleneck with a better CPU ( I play at 1080p resolution )?

Best regards and thank you in advance,

Frog eater

Don't expect a huge increase in fps, but yes, you will see a noticeable difference in upgrading to a modern platform. If you can wait slightly longer and you don't do any content creation, the Zen 3 Ryzen 5 5600x will be the best bang for the buck. (they release November 5th)

depends on your budget, to be honest. a ryzen 3 3300x or a ryzen 5 3600 or an intel i5 10400 should be enough to not bottleneck a 1080.

Thank you very much for your responses. I was scratching my head if I should wait a few years and do a full cpu/gpu upgrade. I will definitely look at the Zen 3 Ryzen 5 5600x.