New antitrust complain against Apple in france

Spindel
19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Highly reliable even, as in reliably want all your data preferably for *free*

Exactly... 😂
And we are giving them as well.

Is Apple really the anti-competitive one, when most of the ads are Google Adsense (or whatever its called)?

There seems to be some confusion here about what Apple is doing regarding the opt-in process for App Advertising.

I'm hearing the argument that Apple are hypocrites because there is (apparently) an exemption for Apple apps.

On 10/30/2020 at 10:29 AM, HenrySalayne said:

I think you missed one crucial point. Advertisers are not only complaining about the new opt-in feature (boohoo indeed), but also the small exception Apple made for "Apple Advertising". Some advertisers seem to be more equal than others.

Here's the thing - Apple's data collection is already opt-in, when you setup the device. You're already asked about these details, so you've already made a decision (and if you update from one version of iOS that lacks said features to one that does, you are forced to choose after the update is completed).

So I really don't see the issue here. Is the problem that it won't ask you individually for each Apple app? Because the user has already made a decision about Apple apps in general.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There seems to be some confusion here about what Apple is doing regarding the opt-in process for App Advertising.

I'm hearing the argument that Apple are hypocrites because there is (apparently) an exemption for Apple apps.

Here's the thing - Apple's data collection is already opt-in, when you setup the device. You're already asked about these details, so you've already made a decision (and if you update from one version of iOS that lacks said features to one that does, you are forced to choose after the update is completed).

So I really don't see the issue here. Is the problem that it won't ask you individually for each Apple app? Because the user has already made a decision about Apple apps in general.

I allready said this earlier in the thread. But it’s ”Apple bad” for to many people no matter the reality.

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

I allready said this earlier in the thread. But it’s ”Apple bad” for to many people no matter the reality.

Yeah I know but some people are still blaming Apple.

Apple certainly does some anti-consumer things (this is coming from a fairly loyal iPhone user who switched to Apple after Windows 10 Mobile died), but this is not one of them. Unless there's information that has yet to be revealed, I don't think there's anything at all with what Apple did.

The main complaint of the advertisers seems to be that the wording will make people more likely to click "No" for opt-in. So what? That's a totally okay outcome.

The fact that Apple has a different opt-in process that happens during setup, is also totally okay in my eyes. At best, they could re-confirm your opt-in when you open an Apple app for the first time, but since you've already opted in or out by now, I see no reason to bother the user with a question they've already answered.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, Orange1 said:

Its a legal entity, can own just like a human

Wat | Memepedia Wiki | Fandom

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Wow, Apple is taking one for the team. Love this new OS change. Those advertisers (the real customers) just spit out their Fiji water.

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yeah I know but some people are still blaming Apple.

Apple certainly does some anti-consumer things (this is coming from a fairly loyal iPhone user who switched to Apple after Windows 10 Mobile died), but this is not one of them. Unless there's information that has yet to be revealed, I don't think there's anything at all with what Apple did.

The main complaint of the advertisers seems to be that the wording will make people more likely to click "No" for opt-in. So what? That's a totally okay outcome.

The fact that Apple has a different opt-in process that happens during setup, is also totally okay in my eyes. At best, they could re-confirm your opt-in when you open an Apple app for the first time, but since you've already opted in or out by now, I see no reason to bother the user with a question they've already answered.

I recently ran into a post here about some Samsung smartphones not working if their port gets broken and replaced.  Might be the same issue as Apple cameras.  Or it might be idiots not doing it right in similar ways.  Makes me wonder if the practice of locking out repair is more common than stated and people just jump on Apple to jump on Apple. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I recently ran into a post here about some Samsung smartphones not working if their port gets broken and replaced.  Might be the same issue as Apple cameras.  Or it might be idiots not doing it right in similar ways.  Makes me wonder if the practice of locking out repair is more common than stated and people just jump on Apple to jump on Apple. 

People definitely jump on Apple just because they're Apple. It's the same way with Microsoft (particularly anything Windows 10 related).

Sometimes it is justified. Certainly not always though (such as the Camera thing, where it still hasn't been proven that this simply isn't a glitch or some kind of calibration required).