Windows 10 Redesign Imminent - "Sun Valley" Slated for 2021

I'm in agreement with the settings app needing just one home. The Action Center needs to be ripped out and we need to be given a functional Start bar with a viable search function. However, everything Microsoft touches at this point I've accepted that the feature will lose functionality, usability, and any design sense it might have had. So even if we get a unified Control Panel, many of it's functions will be flung to the Outer Rim of different menus in different apps, hidden behind 7 layers of UI that are a slog to understand. You'll soon need a roadmap just to allow a program through the Firewall.

If it doesn't give me the option to disable all of the unneeded processes that exist within Windows 10 then it doesn't interest me at all. Honestly thinking about switching to LTSC so my OS isn't as bloated as an elderly persons XP with too many toolbars.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

13 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

If it doesn't give me the option to disable all of the unneeded processes that exist within Windows 10 then it doesn't interest me at all. Honestly thinking about switching to LTSC so my OS isn't as bloated as an elderly persons XP with too many toolbars.

I've used LTSC for a while now. So long as you don't need UWP, such as for the Microsoft Store, there is absolutely no reason to not use it. It is the full Windows 10 without the bloat, but with more control and peace.

The next edition of LTSC releases in 2021, possible later in the year.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 10/30/2020 at 8:01 PM, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

Windows 10's downfall is that they got rid of their QA team in that mass layoff they did in 2015, so now it's up to the public and the tens of internal testers they have. Very interesting that once both Apple and Microsoft went the way of user-based testing, both OS's stability crumbled.

QC can only go so far, though. It will only catch what's bad by accident, but not what's bad by design.

37 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

QC can only go so far, though. It will only catch what's bad by accident, but not what's bad by design.

Thinking about games user based testing can work, but it has to be built in.  Comparing two indie games subnautica has bug reporting built into the app and no man’s sky doesn’t.  As a regular ol’ player I’ve done perhaps 100 bug reports on subnautica, mostly very minor (floating rocks and stuff) whereas with no man’s sky I ran into bugs so seriously game breaking I stopped playing it entirely.  I had 5 quests and 3 of them were broken.  I reported zero bugs though because reporting a bug in the game wasn’t possible at all, and doing it outside of the game nearly so.   

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So, Microsoft is implemented Fluent Design UI, and you guys are going "Oh man! Not Fluent Design! They haven't finished implemented Fluent Design and they want to implement Fluent Design!"

What? You guys ok?

On 11/1/2020 at 12:03 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I don't believe this myth at all, I have a whole box of games that don't run on win 10 because Microsoft has decided the drm used in them is a "security risk" but after some research it turns out that doesn't seem to be true, they just don't support it full stop. 

(securom etc) 

Reveal hidden contents

According to Microsoft's Boris Schneider-Johne, Windows 10 deliberately doesn't support some variants of SecuROM used on games released between 2003 and 2008. This is because SecuROM is so "deeply embedded in your system" that it becomes a security risk, potentially forming an entry point for malware and other viruses.

Compatibility my ass lol.

SecuRom was responsible for A LOT of BSODs on user machines, it was also responsible for performance degradation of systems.

Also, being the lowest level driver, it was poorly coded security wise, allowing user level malware use SecurRom to gain above admin level.

So yes, it was a huge security issue. That is why there was that huge backlash on it.

On 10/30/2020 at 6:04 PM, jagdtigger said:

At  this point its better to  admit defeat and  cut their losses.  Win10 is a catastrophe since day one and it doesnt seem to  improve......

Yea, it's called Windows 10X.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Yea, it's called Windows 10X.

Ill belive it when i see it, they aint gonna strip telemtry anyway so i couldnt care less.....

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Ill belive it when i see it, they aint gonna strip telemtry anyway so i couldnt care less.....

Excellent! Don't forget to back up your stuff once you switch to Linux, and throw your Nvidia and AMD GPUs to the bin. They both have telemetry data tracking as well.

I heard that Intel integrated graphics Xe is very promising.

Plays VLC video even better than before:

Oh and did you know most large sites you surf also collects telemetry data on you? Mouse clicks, scrolls, and Mouse position, all tracked.

I guess you should ban them as well.

33 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Excellent! Don't forget to back up your stuff once you switch to Linux, and throw your Nvidia and AMD GPUs to the bin, if they both have telemetry data tracking as well.

In alrady on linux for several years now and i dont feel like going back crapsofts craptastic OS..... BTW i only have amd gpu's with the opensource drivers, no telemetry in those. (Users would take apart any distro who integrates it.)

/EDIT

BTW on the green side the telemtry is in GFE, which doesnt exist on linux.

/EDIT2

Oh yeah, did i mention that i didnt even had to redo my browser and a-mail config? Just copied the profiles over and done.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Excellent! Don't forget to back up your stuff once you switch to Linux, and throw your Nvidia and AMD GPUs to the bin, if they both have telemetry data tracking as well.

Plays VLC video even better than before:

Oh and did you know most large sites you surf also collects telemetry data on you? Mouse clicks, scrolls, and Mouse position, all tracked.

I guess you should ban them as well.

All of those CUDA cores, such a shame to go to waste....

Just wait, MS will leverage GPU for AI processing to both collect telemetry and condition..err."train" the user on both web and shopping habits. What's the point of analysis if you're not going to manipulate the user base? hmm? 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:05 PM, Poison4K said:

image.thumb.png.7930bf3f00e4e64f0028bcffd45bcdc4.png

It triggers me that these both exist simultaneously 

What triggers me is how useless the windows 10 settings page is. I use the old school control panel for any administrative task, or computer management. I think what M$ did was take what people liked about 7, tired to merge it into win8.1 and we got 10. Which is basically 8.1 with a windows 7 mode. I Think they really banked on tablets taking over.. and that didn't happen. 

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

So, Microsoft is implemented Fluent Design UI, and you guys are going "Oh man! Not Fluent Design! They haven't finished implemented Fluent Design and they want to implement Fluent Design!"

What? You guys ok?

The problem is they haven't even finished implementing Fluent Design yet. Windows 10's UI is still a poorly-coordinated mishmash of conflicting design philosophies dating back at least 20 years.

1 hour ago, DavidKalinowski said:

I Think they really banked on tablets taking over.. and that didn't happen.

They kinda did, it’s just Microsoft’s take on tablets during and post-Win8 was a disaster.

I mean ever since Apple figured out how to market tablets they’ve been selling pretty well, I think when compared to laptops, the iPad is in the top 5 best seller. It’s just that Windows tablets didn’t go mainstream, especially when at the beginning OEMs had to pay for licenses, something they didn’t have to do with Android. By the time the Windows with Bing program came out, coupled with the disastrous WoA initiative leading these OEMs to use much more expensive Intel Atom chips, the writing was already on the wall for Windows Tablets, and they’ve just had a long, slow, and painful death.

Thankfully though, Surface is doing fine.

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

SecuRom was responsible for A LOT of BSODs on user machines, it was also responsible for performance degradation of systems.

Also, being the lowest level driver, it was poorly coded security wise, allowing user level malware use SecurRom to gain above admin level.

So yes, it was a huge security issue. That is why there was that huge backlash on it.

I never got a BSOD when I used this (during 10 years on Vista or so I honestly never got a BSOD, that only happens on win 10 for me occasionally) and the only degradation came from windows updates. 

However, isn't that the same thing as current anti cheats (that are often very low level) I doubt those are particularly "secure" either, but those are of course not a problem to Microsoft... apparently. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

They kinda did, it’s just Microsoft’s take on tablets during and post-Win8 was a disaster.

I mean ever since Apple figured out how to market tablets they’ve been selling pretty well, I think when compared to laptops, the iPad is in the top 5 best seller. It’s just that Windows tablets didn’t go mainstream, especially when at the beginning OEMs had to pay for licenses, something they didn’t have to do with Android. By the time the Windows with Bing program came out, coupled with the disastrous WoA initiative leading these OEMs to use much more expensive Intel Atom chips, the writing was already on the wall for Windows Tablets, and they’ve just had a long, slow, and painful death.

Thankfully though, Surface is doing fine.

I should have been more clear, I meant windows tablets specifically. I worked in retail electronics during the whole M$ tablet/Win8 days.. jeezus that was a hard time.. so many people bought the cheaper tablets, and then after a month hated them (and per return policy was stuck with them. We only did 15 days.) I'm still not a huge fan of iOS or ipads in general. (not really a fan of tablets.. I would prefer a nice laptop over a high end tablet. but I also prefer a good desktop over any thing else. Now I would be tempted to rock a linux powered phone that could dock to a USB-C docking station and still be good enough for office type work. )

5 hours ago, Nowak said:

The problem is they haven't even finished implementing Fluent Design yet. Windows 10's UI is still a poorly-coordinated mishmash of conflicting design philosophies dating back at least 20 years.

Yea well, it's coming, as you can see from this leak.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Excellent! Don't forget to back up your stuff once you switch to Linux, and throw your Nvidia and AMD GPUs to the bin. They both have telemetry data tracking as well.

It's just a shame that NVIDIA and AMD don't have open source Linux drivers that remove the tracking components. Or having the entire operating system become open source so we can verify that kind of thing. Can you imagine a Linux system compatible with modern hardware? That would be pretty cool.

3 hours ago, Virixiss said:

It's just a shame that NVIDIA and AMD don't have open source Linux drivers that remove the tracking components. Or having the entire operating system become open source so we can verify that kind of thing. Can you imagine a Linux system compatible with modern hardware? That would be pretty cool.

My understanding is Nvidia only ever releases binaries for everything.  No source to anyone.  Even companies.  It’s the main reason Apple dumped them. I wasn’t aware there were ANY tracking components in video drivers. Can you elaborate on this?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Virixiss said:

AMD don't have open source Linux drivers

Actually AMD does, its built into the kernel and AFAIK there is no tracking in it.....

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Actually AMD does, its built into the kernel and AFAIK there is no tracking in it.....

I think he was being sarcastic. 

43 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Apparently Nvidia does too. 

Open source drivers for NVIDIA nForce hardware are included in the standard Linux kernel and leading Linux distributions. This page includes information on  ...

Which is rather confusing to me I thought they're strict "anti open source" 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Apparently Nvidia does too. 

Which is rather confusing to me I thought they're strict "anti open source" 🤔

I did too.  They were at one time, but my data may be old.