Blocking YouTube, here is why.

oldSock
2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

3RD PARTY BENCHMARKS

I assume you meant 1st-party benchmarks.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

I assume you meant 1st-party benchmarks.

yes. ill fix that in a sec

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

One huge ass status update.  

Blocking Youtube as a whole cuz of a few reviewers....  Smart.  May want to shut down libraries because they have a book you don't like too.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

OP, keep in Mind that every time you buy used hardware, you are buying someone's else's problem... A used mid-range to high-end dGPU may have been used for Mining 24/7.

Testing is always done under ideal conditions. Then it's a matter of information deduction by the end user. If I'm pairing RTX 3080 with my still capable but aging Core i7 5820K, I can for a fact expect it won't perform as fast as it does on latest CPU. But I know there will be performance uplift pretty close to advertised.

Expecting reviewers to test them using every permutation of PC configuration is just silly and entirely unrealistic considering it takes hours of systematic testing to do just 1 testing set under ideal conditions. So, no one is doing it. Some reviewers may do specific tests to poke certain edge functionalities like most trying if PCIe 4.0 affects anything and to what degree. Or comparing image quality between standard rasterizing and DLSS in supported games to establish differences and whether they are beneficial or not to the user or whether performance uplift is acceptable for degradation of image quality or lack of any image degradation. Those are specific cases that get reviewed at later times by some. Or fun projects that even LTT does here and there like testing extreme cases of configurations like bolting RTX 3080 on a Core i7 4790K to see how it works. Or what's the difference between 10990K and 4790K on same RTX 3090.

It's not difficult if you know what you want to know about. For example, when I got hyped by RTX 3080, I didn't care about any 4K nonsense. First thing I did was go to TechPowerUp (sorry guys at LTT) and looked at benchmarks for 1080p and how it performed there. Because I run 1080 144Hz monitor and that's all I care about. And numbers were in most cases still double what I get with GTX 1080Ti. So, still relevant. Though I do have to lower expectations a bit since I run 5820K which means I won't be quite getting those exact numbers most likely. Deduction of information.

I'm guessing the big sponsorship money would be in the videos with the latest and greatest. These guys have bills to pay. 

There are loads of other channels where ordinary guys and girls buy and test older stuff to see how it's holding up and give you an idea of what it should be worth. 

Tech Yes and Random Gaming come to mind. 

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 hours ago, oldSock said:

Yes you are missing the point. The point here is this: How was  clearly faulty card never returned? Surly the original owner could have done so right ? Why didn't he. See this is the story that is NOT being told. Why do people have to sell faulty cards to the second hand market when a known fault existed on the product line? That is the whole point to my wall of text. 

There is a real story here, one that matters to both new and second hand users. Why is it not being told?

I am not trying to be a jerk i am trying to show you that there is a question on customer support here. This card should be landfill and the original owner should have gotten something else. That is all i am saying. Feel free to roast me but you know i am right.

So you blame tech reviews because the original owner didn't return a card? There is no world where that logic makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

I've actually successfully repaired GeForce 8400GS MXM module from laptop by baking it in an oven. :P

this makes no sense. so because you got a faulty card you blame reviewers? you realized that not every card has that fault and obviously the card that they got didnt.

As far as reviewers using top end hardware for benchmarks. What shows more? What it can do when it's the "bottleneck", or should they test low end with say a 3090. I don't think either is a truly accurate view. With enough low end hard ware around every GPU, you could in theory get it down to >10 FPS. I have a feeling they what they do because of economics. The hardware companies are more likely to sell based on a review to people with more "money than brains". The people that actually know what they're looking at will do more research. Even if that's only a couple extra reviews and benchmarks. The high numbers with flashy systems is more likely to sell to someone that will impulse buy the newest and "greatest".

I learned a valuable lesson last go around with research. 2070(non Super). Best to learn from your mistakes and move on.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I'm not reading OP's wall of text, just skimming replies here.

Seems OP bought a used GPU and then got mad at tech YouTubers because his card died. Am I misunderstanding or is it really this ridiculous?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Seems OP bought a used GPU and then got mad at tech YouTubers because his card died. Am I misunderstanding or is it really this ridiculous?

That's approximately the gist of it, yeah.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

That's approximately the gist of it, yeah.

Sheesh, this forum really has gone to shit.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

cant think of any good analogies but as people tend to say:

sounds like a gp-you problem

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Sheesh, this forum really has gone to shit.

I wouldn't go as far as extrapolating one member's behaviour as to somehow covering the entirety of the forums. Personally, I think these forums are pretty great when compared to all the other ones I've seen.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I wouldn't go as far as extrapolating one member's behaviour as to somehow covering the entirety of the forums. Personally, I think these forums are pretty great when compared to all the other ones I've seen.

I have noticed a downward trend in the quality of posts and the effort put into them, as well as a huge increase in shitposting and crap like this. Just my opinion.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I have noticed a downward trend in the quality of posts and the effort put into them, as well as a huge increase in shitposting and crap like this. Just my opinion.

As you're entitled to an opinion, so is the OP. Always take what you read with a grain of salt.

A lot of banked curves in this thread.....

So starting with a Reviewer, with Pre-released hardware and driver sets almost always never reflect the cards operation a few months later or 2 years later for that matter. 

Some people buy cards, where used for mining. A lot of these cards will have a modified bios. The card then gets baked for hours and hours. Throws one error, it goes up for sale. 

Baking in an oven. This trick kinda works for a reflow. But not always. It's a 50/50 chance. Either a baking works or it doesn't.

A lot of the time the Vram goes to shit before the gpu. A reflow won't fix this issue.

Reading half of the original post, the first half wasn't even about YouTube at all. I skimmed the bottom half, and skimmed posts and that triggered me to reply while I spent a few minutes reading this garbage.

In short, the Reviewers are NOT the tell all of hardware that was used, sold and purchased by a user that has no clue the history of the Gpu. Some parts you should just buy new period. Memory and GPUs would be best to buy new imo.

16 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Ya know; that's the problem with the seller not a corporation - maybe he never experienced the problem in his workload, or he knew the fault and was a scumbag. But that's not a problem with tech reviews on youtube.
^ This.  You can't expect every end user to know about recalls, and or problems with a product. Furthermore to blame reviewers for the problem and for not continuing to retest old hardware is myopic at best. Also if i recall the problem you're speaking of here was widely reported on by many tech reviewers LTT included as well as GN and Jay and many others... I know i've heard of it happening. However, so it's not like it wasn't reported on. TO expect Youtubers in an industry that is evolving behind the scenes every minute and hardware that evolves at almost a yearly clip to keep reporting on an issue that is 5 years old is asinine. The only person who really should be to blame here is yourself if you're going to buy and purchase older used hardware then you are the one that should be aware of the problems on those cards and ask the relevant questions to the seller like does this card have any known issues such as this one? Like I said I'm pretty sure this was a very common widely reported issue on the 1070's. I'm betting if you search it you'll find videos on it. 

Electronics fail here and there, we are aware of that.

The reason you don't see follow ups on every piece of hardware, is because it works as it should. There is literally no reason to post videos often just to say "yup, still works".

This isn't like the GTX-970 "3.5GB" problem anymore.

You only hear about those that fail often, and not so much from those that just fail.

There are plenty of youtubers who still do benchmarks with old ass hardware or real budget stuff, there's no need for people like Linus or GN to benchmark old cards.

And benchmarks DO help people decide on which hardware gives you the best results, it doesn't matter if they use 12+ cores CPU's or 4 cores ones, the benchmark gives you a base line to compare, they aren't useless, I have a 4 core CPU and I know that if I buy X GPU I will get less performance than what the 12 core gave.

This is not rocket science dude.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I've actually successfully repaired GeForce 8400GS MXM module from laptop by baking it in an oven. :P

ya some times you get lucky some tines not.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

18 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You do make some good points. Like I'm sure many of us still use HDDs to store our games. While tech reviewers for the most part use all SSD systems for their test benches. Some of us are using slightly older platforms that are several generations old but just upgrade the latest GPU and call it a day. These factors do matter, maybe not night and day differences. But these sacrifices made in the builds of actual users should be taken into account by reviewers. I for one use just plain old Kingston ValuRAM or whatever they call their base model RAM offering is. I'm sure plenty of other people do as well. What performance delta should I expect to see? 

The same problem exists in the car review business too. Reviewer know damn well, and we all know damn well that not every one is buying the fully loaded model of a vehicle. Take the Honda Civic for instance, most people would be buying the base or mid trim. But good luck finding a review that wasn't done with the top trim. 

Tech Yes City does reviews with older hardware (for example he reviewed x58 and RTX 3080 together) i'm sure if asked he could test with haswell and ivy/sandy bridge as well

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Some parts you should just buy new period. Memory and GPUs would be best to buy new imo.

And don't forget PSUs as well....

18 hours ago, oldSock said:

Yes you are missing the point. The point here is this: How was  clearly faulty card never returned? Surly the original owner could have done so right ? Why didn't he. See this is the story that is NOT being told. Why do people have to sell faulty cards to the second hand market when a known fault existed on the product line? That is the whole point to my wall of text. 

There is a real story here, one that matters to both new and second hand users. Why is it not being told?

I am not trying to be a jerk i am trying to show you that there is a question on customer support here. This card should be landfill and the original owner should have gotten something else. That is all i am saying. Feel free to roast me but you know i am right.

The card could have developed a fault later in its life because of the previous owner's usage, or was a non-issue in their system, or your system doesn't play nice with it (eg: dirty power), and they upgraded/ sold it/ what have you.

You bought a faulty used card and you can only be upset at yourself for trusting that market in the way you did. Not Nvidia. Major issues are found out VERY quickly and reported on.

You didn't do your research? Your problem. You bought a used card that was beat to hell and back? Your problem.

How hardware ages and performs over time is a very known thing and it's a non-issue too. Average failure rates are always going to exist too, it's just luck of the draw. But if someone runs their hardware ragged for example, overvolting and overclocking it, then it's user error.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:26 AM, oldSock said:

I know why the cards did not get returned. It is not the cards. 

Right now I have 5 gaming style computers in the house. I buy 3 to 5 Nvidia cards every cycle. If a video card has issues in a system, putting it in another system usually fixes it.

I won't sell my two GTX 1080s because they only work well with some motherboards and not others. One has constant black screens with driver failure notices and the other stutters a lot. On other motherboards(usually high end) they both run fine. They will both end up in charity builds were I pick the motherboard they are attached to.

By contrast my three GTX 1080 tis have worked well in every system I have put them in. 

Below I have listed a i9 9900k/Aorus system. I built it at the beginning of last year and it ran perfectly with two GTX 1080 tis. A few months back I decided to replace the SLI setup with a single 2080 ti. Since then all the computer does is crash and blue screen. Since I needed a computer at that station for video editing I replaced it with one of my i7 8086k/Hero systems and added the 2080 ti to it. It runs fine but I expected it to because it had ran a 2080 ti before. The i9 9900k also runs fine now with its single GTX 1080 ti.

When I get a 3080/3090 I will have a 2080 ti freed up so I can do further testing but I expect it is the motherboard. 

This is the fourth time this has happened since 2014 and that was a GTX 970 that micro stuttered in one computer but not in another.

If I had only had one computer all would have been major disasters but because I use several they were just inconveniences. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV