Tech Question - Cable Modem to Switch to Wireless Router/Ethernet Devices?

JSkeleton

So the way my setup is with our new Cable Internet, our Modem is in the basement with my PC and gaming consoles which all need to be hardwired. The Wireless Router is upstairs in the Living Room BUT, we have ONE Ethernet Cable running through the floor to the basement.

I know ideally you'd run the Modem to the Router then the Router to everything else. That would require a 2nd Ethernet cable through my floor. So my question is, can I just get a Managed Switch and go Modem to the Switch, and then Switch to everything else? So Switch to Wireless Router for Wireless Internet, and also Switch to my PC and Gaming Consoles for a hardwired connection?

Thanks in advance!

Get yourself something like a small ubiquiti router. The Edgerouter X is a great small router with 4 ports. Or if you need more ports, you can hang a dummy unmanaged switch off that or get a router with more ports, like the Edgerouter 10x which has 10 ports. This is also the same router I personally use and have the Edgerouter X in my closet and one deployed at my Dads house. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Get yourself something like a small ubiquiti router. The Edgerouter X is a great small router with 4 ports. Or if you need more ports, you can hang a dummy unmanaged switch off that or get a router with more ports, like the Edgerouter 10x which has 10 ports. This is also the same router I personally use and have the Edgerouter X in my closet and one deployed at my Dads house. 

So, are you saying go Modem to let's say the Edgerouter X, and from there into the Wireless Router upstairs for Wireless Signal, and also from the Edgerouter to any of my Ethernet devices? So basically 2 Routers and a Modem? And a Switch if I need more ports yet? haha So with Switch it'd be

Modem
     | 
Edgerouter
 |                 |
Switch        Wireless Router
|  |  |  |
Ethernet Devices

You would put your wireless router into Access Point Mode, disabling its DHCP server essentially and letting the Edgerouter X handle all the DHCP leasing, but otherwise you have the right concept. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You would put your wireless router into Access Point Mode, disabling its DHCP server essentially and letting the Edgerouter X handle all the DHCP leasing, but otherwise you have the right concept. 

So by putting it into Access Point Mode, it would only handle the Wireless signal via being connected to the Edgerouter X with a single Ethernet Cable, correct? And if so, which port on the Access Point Router? 

Just now, JSkeleton said:

So by putting it into Access Point Mode, it would only handle the Wireless signal via being connected to the Edgerouter X with a single Ethernet Cable, correct? And if so, which port on the Access Point Router? 

Correct. You would still need to plug from the Edgerouter into the WAN port on your access point/router. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Correct. You would still need to plug from the Edgerouter into the WAN port on your access point/router. 

So then the Modem plugs into the WAN on the Edgerouter, and the Edgerouter plugs into the WAN on the Wireless Router?

2 minutes ago, JSkeleton said:

So then the Modem plugs into the WAN on the Edgerouter, and the Edgerouter plugs into the WAN on the Wireless Router?

Yep. There is no "WAN" port on the Edgerouter X, just ports Eth0-4 with Eth 0 being the recommended port for your iSP to hook into. 

16039472452727727103054645600572.jpg

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

6 hours ago, JSkeleton said:

and the Edgerouter plugs into the WAN on the Wireless Router?

Follow the setup guide for AP mode in your wireless router's manual. Some require you use the WAN port while others require you use the LAN port.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Follow the setup guide for AP mode in your wireless router's manual. Some require you use the WAN port while others require you use the LAN port.

Gotchu! Great to know, thanks! :) 

7 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yep. There is no "WAN" port on the Edgerouter X, just ports Eth0-4 with Eth 0 being the recommended port for your iSP to hook into. 

16039472452727727103054645600572.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't find the EdgeRouter X in Canada. Do you know of any other solid non Wireless Routers that can support 1GB speeds? Hopefully something that doesn't break the bank even harder than I've already broken it LOL

37 minutes ago, JSkeleton said:

Unfortunately, I can't find the EdgeRouter X in Canada.

Here

You

Go

Sir

37 minutes ago, JSkeleton said:

Do you know of any other solid non Wireless Routers that can support 1GB speeds?

The ER-X is probably the best powerful budget router that you'll find.

Out of the box, the ER-X needs setup through the built-in wizard to work properly. See video guide here. I'd urge you to upgrade the firmware after success setup and activate hardware offloading if you want to get over 900Mbps speeds (should you have a gigabit internet connection).

1 minute ago, Falcon1986 said:

Well shoot, guess I didn't look hard enough LOL I think my issue was that, on Amazon there was a bunch that seemed to be the same. So is the EdgeRouter X the best option I guess for what I'm trying to do?