Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

High CPU Temp (85C)? PC slow issue, and weird video issue. Help Please!

So as the title suggests I have 3 different issues going on, all at once. Yay me haha Hope someone can provide valuable info for even just ANY of these issues.

1: I only recently started monitoring my CPU temps, cause I noticed my PC has suddenly become a bit slower the past couple weeks. I render a lot of videos for YouTube, and my Render times are slower than normal. For example: Before whatever the video length was, it'd take half that time to render it. 1 Hour video = about 35 mins to render for example. 40 min video = 20 min render. But now a 1 Hour video is taking closer to 45 mins to render. 40 min video closer to 30 and so on. I noticed my CPU Temp is hitting around 80-85c when rendering. Idle it usually sits around 55c, but I've seen it sit around 60c as well. My Specs can be found at the bottom of this post.

I'm wondering if better cooling would bring my render times back down. I heard throttling only happens around 95c though, so if it isn't a temperature issue, I seriously have no idea what. The only thing I remember doing was updating Windows 10. In which I ended up rolling back the update. It is worth noting, I noticed in Task Manager that my CPU is running at about 4.10ghz (it fluctuates) in idle, but was around 3.98ghz when rendering. Base is 3.89ghz.

2: Video issue may not be a video issue, I just didn't know what to call it. But, when I boot up my PC lately (ironically same time as PC has become a bit slower), it'll be a black screen for a few seconds before letting me type in my Password. After typing in my Password, the Desktop goes black and my Taskbar starts flashing on and off for a few seconds, until my Desktop full shows up. I have no idea what happened. I did try installing an Elgato 4K60 PRO (PCIe 4.0 slot) around the same time, which I've also had issues with the gameplay recordings freezing for a split second here and there, but I've tried removing it and still had the issues.

What I've tried so far:
-Updated Windows 10 (then rolled back)
-Checked PC for dust build up (just a light dusting nothing that would make you think it's the cause of the slow downs)
-Updated chipset
-Updated GPU Driver
-Updated BIOS (which caused a CPU fan error for some reason, so I had to go to Monitor in BIOS and Ignore. Fan is running fine so I don't know why the error).

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, because I'm fresh out of ideas.
Thanks in advance!

SPECS:
Ryzen 7 3800x (with stock cooler. Wraith Prism)
Case: Deepcool Kendomen
32GB of RAM
OS is running on a 500gb NVMe Samsung
I also have 2 1TB HDD
GPU is GTX 1060 6GB

The hard throttling at 95C is more of an Intel rule of thumb. Ryzen processors are known for their more GPU-like themperature vs. frequency behavior. Since it was running just fine before, try reapplying your thermal paste and checking that the fan on your cooler is working. 

Better cooling will definitely benefit performance more on Ryzen if you're not manually overclocking than it will on Intel, because of the Precision Boost features. You can also tweak BIOS settings on most mobos to make PBO more aggressive. 

As far as the GPU goes, try using DDU to remove your display drivers, and remove any Elgato software and drivers. I have noticed the slight lag between boot and the login screen in Win on my Pascal card, too. Might just be the recent drivers. 

7 hours ago, thermalgoop said:

The hard throttling at 95C is more of an Intel rule of thumb. Ryzen processors are known for their more GPU-like themperature vs. frequency behavior. Since it was running just fine before, try reapplying your thermal paste and checking that the fan on your cooler is working. 

Better cooling will definitely benefit performance more on Ryzen if you're not manually overclocking than it will on Intel, because of the Precision Boost features. You can also tweak BIOS settings on most mobos to make PBO more aggressive. 

As far as the GPU goes, try using DDU to remove your display drivers, and remove any Elgato software and drivers. I have noticed the slight lag between boot and the login screen in Win on my Pascal card, too. Might just be the recent drivers. 

So in simple terms for the noobs like me, with AMD processors these CPU temps could be causing my performance issue or no? Also, if I have a stock wraith prism, even if it's a thermal reapply, should I just get something like the Noctua D15? Would that give me the best performance possible out of my CPU? The problem is, everywhere I've searched some people say these temps are just for longevity, and others say it DOES impact performance. What I need most right now, is my Video Renders to not take an extra 5-10 minutes like before haha I need efficient performance. 

I haven't Overclocked it, even though it is capable of it. If I'm NOT OCing it, can better cooling still give it better and more efficient performance? 

Stupid question, what's PBO? Lol

As for the GPU, DDU is a program or? haha Again, sorry I'm a noob with certain things. Not entirely with PCs, just certain things not familiar with. As for the Elgato, I've tried reinstalling all of that stuff, cause I've actually been having issues with my Elgato Recordings randomly freezing for a split second, despite great PC Specs. I've also noticed my Wallpaper keeps disappearing and going black randomly. I don't know if that's related to the booting up issues I'm having. 

6 hours ago, JSkeleton said:

So in simple terms for the noobs like me, with AMD processors these CPU temps could be causing my performance issue or no?. 
I haven't Overclocked it, even though it is capable of it. If I'm NOT OCing it, can better cooling still give it better and more efficient performance? 
Stupid question, what's PBO? Lol

Yes, PBO, or Precision Boost Overdrive, will dynamically alter your Ryzen CPU's frequency within a temperature envelope and a hard power draw limit. Some motherboards can increase that power draw limit. 
The Noctua D15 is sweet, I have on on my 4770k and it keeps that toasty boi well under control (mid 50s under load @ 4.5, +.075v).

Only issue may be its unwieldy size. I cannot fit the fans in a push config between my RAM and case side panel. And it's a tight fit for PCIe cards, I can no longer access the top 4x slot. I had a BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2 before the D15 and the temps were not much higher, maybe 7-10C, which is still pretty good. 

As for the GPU, DDU is a program or? 
I've also noticed my Wallpaper keeps disappearing and going black randomly.

Yes, sorry, it stands for Display Driver Uninstaller. You'll have to run it in safe mode, so that Win only loads the basic MS video drivers. But I have noticed the small hang on a black screen, that is usually expedited by clicking the mouse or keys, and I don't have any Elgato hardware, but I do have a Pascal card. I think it came along with the Game Driver update earlier this year. 
As for the wallpaper, that's a bit more odd. Maybe your background services and processes for anything you don't recognize?