Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can someone tell me why my laptop CPU is overheating?

So a few months back I purchased a new laptop- Asus TUF Fx705DT (Ryzen 5 3550H / GTX 1650) and it has been working perfectly fine until a a few weeks ago when I started to notice that my maximum temperatures during gaming sessions were ranging anywhere from 97 TO A WHOPPING 102 DEGREES CELSIUS! I am aware that the max operating temperature of this CPU is a 105 degrees Celsius but still, it has no business whatsoever running that hot. I've had multiple occasions of stuttering as well.

Now keep in mind that I had tried increasing the TDP of the processor to it's maximum capacity which is 35W using Ryzen Controller and AMD uProf but I made sure to RESET the settings and UNINSTALL the apps. I also reset the BIOS to default settings just to be sure and it still didn't work. :(

The games I ran differed in the loads they put on the CPU. Games like Rocket league which was only taking up 30% of CPU usage still saw the same temperature range and at times it was even throttling. Same case with CPU heavy games like Watch Dogs 2.

Additional factors: Tried undervolting GPU with Afterburner, now uninstalled and reset

Using secondary monitor

Usage sessions vary from 5-6 hours daily (usually on a stretch but with occasional shutdowns in between)

Running updated BIOS

Keeping the laptop on a flat surface but elevated with wooden planks stuck on the table (sides) for clearance on the bottom (intake)

Relatively new laptop, so not much dust present

Normal gaming laptop temps lol.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

Any chance you can blow out the fans with some compressed air?

Might have some airflow blockage going on there.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K  @ 4.2MHz  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: EVGA NEX750B   Storage: (1)950 PRO 512GB (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 headset   UPS: APC XS 1300

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:20 PM, cr8tor said:

Any chance you can blow out the fans with some compressed air?

Might have some airflow blockage going on there.

Yeah I've tried that. Still running the same. Might get it check up at a service centre. Thanks anyways